Southern Alberta winds, July, 2009

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
Not sure if these are real but one would have to go to a lot of trouble to fake them...then take pics from an airplane?!?!? :eek::eek::eek:

This is the blurb that came with the email:

The pictures were taken around the Medicine Hat area after a windstorm last week. The bales apparently weigh up to approximately 1600lbs and some were reported to have rolled up to 5 miles.

Whadda think?

Wind1.jpg

Wind2.jpg

Wind3.jpg

Wind4.jpg

nursepwdr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My husband received these pics and the comment said they were taken east of Camrose after the storm that hit the BVJ hit ......Not sure but it makes sense to me as the gust that knocked the stage down was tremendous!!!

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
wow isnt that something! imagine looking out your window and seeing bails rolling past you

i worked on the rigs down there for 4 summers and was glad to wear ear plugs to keep all the dust out. was actually happy to go into the bush for winter to stay out of the wind :)

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks kinda fake, mostly because how many different directions they are going. But yea, there have been some crazy winds.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
We are from Medicine Hat I don't remember any big winds last week. The terrain is definitely flat enough to be from around here but who knows?

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im going to call b.s think of it the actual surface of a bale that would take the wind full on is very small and the chances of having a spot to travel five miles without hitting a road is even smaller.... somebody had way too much time on there hands

ksk223

Reaction score
Those pictures are all from late july/early august 2008 from Bow Island and area during a terrible wind storm. I'm a bit skeptical on the 5 mile bale, but i know they are still finding pieces of the nephews wooden play structure that blew away up to two miles away from the brother in laws farm just south of Bow Island. The plane was at the Taber airport during the same storm. One of the planes landed on oil well 1/4 mile away. I'm still looking for that picture.

P7140022.jpg

P7150102.jpg

P7150076.jpg

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't remember what they are calling these kinds of 'straight' wind gusts but it seems to be more and more of them happening this year. I think they are known to reach close to tornado speeds and as the pic show, are quite damaging. :cool:

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plain to see this is the work of those troublesome Prairie Gophers. Late at night they come out and time each other as to who can push a bale the farthest the fastest. If you lay in bed real quiet sometimes you can hear them cheering each other on yelling "Gopher it...you can do it".:rolleyes: We had a similar problem here in BC a couple of years ago with Mutant Ninja Moles moving the fruit trees in the orchards.
We need snow......this down time is screwing with my brain.:eek:

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was working down it that area one time when one of those crazy windstorms kicked up, I tried to get into a compressor building and the wind actually pinned me in the door jam to the building. The wind was blowing so hard that I couldn't even push the door open enough to get my leg in.

Top Bottom