south west of calgary

d10

Reaction score
was just wondering if there is snowmobiling areas around turner valley, black diamond area ? and if so what are the conditions like go'in to calgary for a few day's next week just thinking if it would be worth while to bring sleds with me to go out for a quick rip with daughter in tow!!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cataract Creek is about the closest place, but lots of rocks etc. its one of the hit and miss places, there can be lots of snow one day and the if we get a chinook, it can all be gone 2 days later. There is a few places to trail ride down there, otherwise you have to go to Golden or the Crowsnest Pass.

d10

Reaction score
thanks for the reply! where about's is this cataract creek from calgary? i wonder what the snow conditions around crowsnest are like ? i was quading at lynx creek last summer i"m sure you can't drive there in the winter would there be a staging area by hillcrest ?

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply! where about's is this cataract creek from calgary? i wonder what the snow conditions around crowsnest are like ? i was quading at lynx creek last summer i"m sure you can't drive there in the winter would there be a staging area by hillcrest ?

You can stage at Castle River falls and ride up in to Lynx. Lost etc. Better suited to dirt biking in my opinion...head further west to the BC side, Corbin, Fernie if heading south.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cataract is down by Etherington, its about an hour SW of Calgary, west of Longview. You take the road west of Longview (highway 541) and follow the tracks to the staging area. You can do a search on this site and find more info on the SW Alberta Area Riding Threads under the "Riding Areas" section. Also the Govt does some grooming out there, its a very unique area so please be careful where you ride as you can cross over into BC over the Fording Pass but you must stay on the trail up top (if there is snow there). Be careful as the area has claimed many an a-arm over the years. There is a trail map as well.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
right now the castle falls area is great! lots of snow has fallen over the past week here and it is super deeeeeeep at the ski hill and I personnally know that the north koot and macdonald pass are really deeeeeep! ok ok i'm gonna let out a little secret cause this is an area that me and oler1234 mentioned that NO ONE goes to anymore and i might be shooting mysself in the foot here so please respect this area it is an amzing little secret spot. but along the forestry trunk road from K country to the pass there is an area called Dutch creek and an area called Savanna creek if you like between these areas you will see places like the sugar loaf and tornado pass and the gould domethis area is very extensive riding with great tree riding some sweet bowls to climb in and it is on the backside of the alexander creek area. you must be careful as the BEEHIVE Nature recreation area is here and not sure if you are able to ride in it so i would say please stay out of here. also it does have areas behind and beside fording coal so be careful but if you take the tornado or north fork pass there is some great riding to be had.

d10

Reaction score
now i know where catarcat creek is! off of hwy 532 the hump road to hwy 40 wicked road to pull a loaded toyhauler up learnt a lesson there wasn't happy with the info i got from the tourist booth in longview that summer!! anyways i'll play by ear and go from there thanks for the map and info. let it snow!!

d10

Reaction score
my mistake west of longview hwy 541 not 532 looked at the map a little closer right on thanks again!!

Top Bottom