South Saskatchewan Regional Plan - DRAFT

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HI All got an email from the South Saskatchewan Regional Plan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> .... Good Afternoon,

I am pleased to inform you that today the Government of Alberta released the draft South Saskatchewan Regional Plan for feedback from Albertans. We have arrived at this day after a great deal of hard work and a lot of time spent talking to Albertans about the regional plan for the southern part of our province. I appreciate the time and effort you have committed to this important initiative.

Beginning next month, we will again be in many southern Alberta communities to talk about the draft regional plan. I hope you will be able to attend one or more of our sessions and share your views. I would also ask your assistance in letting others know about the sessions – all the information is to be found at www.landuse.alberta.ca

I hope to see you soon and continue our conversation about the draft regional plan for southern Alberta.

Bev Yee
Stewardship Commissioner

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Posted this in general but seeing how more people pay attention to the snowmobile chat section here it is.

public consultation on the draft is Nov 13 for calgary at the glenmore inn. I would hope some people in calgary will be there.

Public Consultation: Draft South Saskatchewan Regional Plan | field notes

Alot of people seem to think that this effects backcountry use, which it does. But from my gathering it is about land use, rights, and access. This ...topic is clouded over by water issues, they are using water issues as the driving force. And if i am not mistaken most water related issues are federal, not provincial matters. With that being said, not only is it going to effect outdoor use but albertas industry. Think of what it will do to the oilfield and farming industry, there is a land use conflict right there and these instrusties are heavy water users.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have given notice that I will attend the Calgary meeting, during the day for the workshop. As the Calgary Snowmobile Club's Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area Trails Committee Organizer, I figure this is very important to attend.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is good to hear!

Keep in mind this is a group that is trying to regulate land use even more through environmental concerns. So backcountry users like us will be effected. 4x4ing is regulated, fishing, hunting, camping, etc. BUT it will also it effects our working industry. If there are environmental concerns, let's say water, then how are farmers going to expand there operations if they cannot acquire water licensing. or how is the oilfield going to function properly, taxing this industry has somewhat proven they will just move there operations. And if they did who gets this money, the federal government. Not even to think about what this will do to the forestry industry in alberta when talking about animal rights, sensitive forest areas, watersheds, etc. The north plan will be extremely forestry heavy I would bet. Through these environmental concerns they will regulate land use, access, and rights. They have already identified land use conflict problems in there report with these industries, and this is just a small handful. People are being very short sighed in only thinking it will effect there recreation time in the backcountry when the real underlying issue should be jobs in alberta!

Top Bottom