Sorry, can't sell you one.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a new compact tractor. I called locally for a quote on a Kubota, decided to call some other places in Alberta, gave them my info and than was asked where I lived. They said they couldnt sell one out of their area. WTF?

Great way to for the dealers to avoid price competitions. Guess its full msrp plus, plus if I want one.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well thats a load. When we purchased our Deere yard tractor we went to 3 different dealers of which 2 were out of area. Our local dealer actually was the best price and we are happy with the service we get from them as well. Maybe its a Kubota policy?

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to work for the Kubota dealership here up until 2011, wasn't a policy then. Things might have change over the last couple years, all I know is they screwed themselves moving all the way out to Sexsmith

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very common for dealerships to work within a specific zone, it keeps things fair for the dealers, if there is a big price discrepancies I would call the manufacture. This is not done to allow gouging it's done to allow good representation of there product. This way it's easier for manufactures to get dealership going offering designated areas If the manufacture sees an issue on either side, one giving away or one gouging they will deal with eventually.

Toro

Reaction score
I like Kubota brand but that's a load of crap and not unusual these days, my response is to shop another brand, the boys at Selmac in Stoney used to be really good to deal with.
yeah I had that question (where do you live?) my response is: none of your business, if your interested in mine put me through to someone because it really doesnt make any difference to me!

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Each dealer has their own AOR (area of responsibility). They are responsible for building relationships and developing market share in that area. It also cost more money to service a unit that is further away from the dealership so unless they are making more money, most will decline business from out of their area. One reason may be is that any product improvements or recalls are the responsibility of the selling dealer so most dealers like to stay within their local area with new equipment because it makes no sense to send a technician on the road for many miles to service 1 unit and Kubota will likely not pay that dealer travel time to travel into another area. They can do it and some will but most stay close to home so they can properly serve their customers.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I deal at Brandt Tractor Red Deer and the same territories apply. It does cause a stir when u call Edmonton or the states... Lol

Toro

Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else but I work hard for my money and toys like tractors and skid steers are expensive, when a brand name says I have to deal with Joe Smuck because he's my area dealer and I don't like him or his attitude, I go shopping elsewhere, they can keep their territories and support bs because that's what it is when dealers get that big. Your not the only brand name around, it's my money and my choice, you want my money then you need to "earn it" I'm not obligated to buy from you because your the "area dealer".

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the Mahindra tractors.

Toro

Reaction score
If you were looking for a skid steer I'd say contact Ron@Edge Equipment in Emonton, (Gehl Dealer), bought a new machine from them 18 months ago and I've been treated like a king, they understand I can spend my money anywhere. I got rid of my problematic 2009 Bobcat after struggling for a year to get some sort of help from Cervus......AOR Dealer.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I talked to a couple dealers. It is policy. But It makes me mad. I did get a few prices across Canada. Pretty Big differences on pricing. I don't like paying the Alberta oil field tax on everything I buy. Gp is the worst. You either want it and are gonna pay or your not getting it. A 20k tractor is 3200 cheaper in eastern canada.

Deers admin fees are half of kubotas but there same size tractor is a grand more. I found in the past when buying my mower that Deere isn't negotiable on their prices.

Makes me me want to buy a used one.

Toro

Reaction score
I talked to a couple dealers. It is policy. But It makes me mad. I did get a few prices across Canada. Pretty Big differences on pricing. I don't like paying the Alberta oil field tax on everything I buy. Gp is the worst. You either want it and are gonna pay or your not getting it. A 20k tractor is 3200 cheaper in eastern canada.

Deers admin fees are half of kubotas but there same size tractor is a grand more. I found in the past when buying my mower that Deere isn't negotiable on their prices.

Makes me me want to buy a used one.
Or try shopping south of the border, that's worked well for me a couple of times.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else but I work hard for my money and toys like tractors and skid steers are expensive, when a brand name says I have to deal with Joe Smuck because he's my area dealer and I don't like him or his attitude, I go shopping elsewhere, they can keep their territories and support bs because that's what it is when dealers get that big. Your not the only brand name around, it's my money and my choice, you want my money then you need to "earn it" I'm not obligated to buy from you because your the "area dealer".

I doubt that any dealer would refuse giving you a quote or refuse selling you an item that you want, but don't beat him up if his price is higher. Dealers, at least most dealers who are service orientated, find out early in life that the cost of business goes up when a customer is from further away so they tend to shy away from deals far away from home base or they tend to quote a bit higher to cover the extra costs involved.

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.....your local dealer, sales rep, service manager, part manager could be a real dick....then of course shop where you feel best but most dealers want to take care of their local client base because without them, you are not in business too long. And, if you need to drop your price to lure customers from further away, its likely that you will not be able to sustain your own existence anyways

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fyi deere is the same way friend is in millet and could only get his tractor in camrose had nothing to do with price

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Massey ferguson has nice compacts with good prices. Kasha farms Eckville

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always been a Deere guy, A buddy of mine, his Brother in-law is a big tractor guy, He did all his homework between makes before buying, He ended up with Kabota, said design wise, a lot tougher then Deeres.
Anyways, I went with Deere. I'm happy with it, works great. fill that bucket with dirt and the back tires come off the ground, so yeah light duty.

But with John deere, there is a dealer in almost every town, a lot easier for parts.

I got the tiller attachment, the mowing deck, the bucket and the aerator.

I'm happy with it.

Attachments

• John Deere.jpg
    John Deere.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 90

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always been a Deere guy, A buddy of mine, his Brother in-law is a big tractor guy, He did all his homework between makes before buying, He ended up with Kabota, said design wise, a lot tougher then Deeres.
Anyways, I went with Deere. I'm happy with it, works great. fill that bucket with dirt and the back tires come off the ground, so yeah light duty.

But with John deere, there is a dealer in almost every town, a lot easier for parts.

I got the tiller attachment, the mowing deck, the bucket and the aerator.

I'm happy with it.

is that a 2305? parent have one and your definitely right about the tires coming off the ground. Moving dirt and rock around the yard ive almost tipped it a few times but managed to drop the bucket fast enough. how do you like the mower? ours was a PITA so we switched to a 3 point hitch mower.

Top Bottom