Soo Muskeg water.......Outy 800

summit151

Reaction score
Well had to much fun last week and i drowned my Outy 800 in some muskeg water,hydrolocked it and everything. did the usual new air filter,5 oil changes 3 filters, ran lots of diesel through it to rinse it out ,new plugs and belt just because. cleaned her up good just wondering if there is anything else i should be looking at before i head out? tranny? Diffs?

Brenden

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
quads are water resistant, but not water proof....if you plan on any deep water running or a possible accidental drowning a guy should check all electrical connections, and use lots if dielectric grease to ensure no water intrusion. I would drop the diff oils and replace, cheap insurance....

a buddy of mine drowned his in the river last fall, the silt totally destroyed his engine. was cheaper to buy a new 400cc mill from BRP than it was to fix his.

summit151

Reaction score
thats kinda what im figuring for wats its worth and the time it takes itll save the headache in the long run

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahh very good will do, runs and sounds ok but that doesn't mean to much
if it starts and runs you should be fine. the piston skirt would likely contact the crank if you had a bent rod and it wouldn't turn over....without a lot of noise. the bad noise...

did you get it shut down before it got the big drink, or was it running and quit? the starter doesn't have enough power to bend a rod if it was hydro locked when you tried to start it.

summit151

Reaction score
i got her shut down before it filled the cylinders it was when we tipped her back up that the nicely full airbox drained into the engine. then we popped the plugs and turned her over to drain it out and scraped what we could out of the airbox.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
change the tranny oil. 75Wroyal purple. makes shifting gears so much smoother

i wouldnt touch the diffs... the breathers work great. but to double check pull out the plug in the fill hole and stick a piece of wire in the hole.

other than that i think you have the basics covered

outlander86

Reaction score
Yeah...

Ive had my outty 800 in the water lots... Had to do ten flushes with 5 filters once to get all of the water out... not to mention some diesel... Over time my using my outty as a boat took a toll on the tranny. I was riding the sand dunes I blew my secondary seal on the tranny. Turns out I got water in the vent tube... Even through the check valve. The BRP mechanic has never seen this before. He figured I had the thing under water for 25 minutes upside down. Water entered through the vent tube and then mud plugged the vent tube off... when my transmission heated up it had nowhere to go, so it overpressured the seal.

So yeah... 700 dollars later... check your tranny.

Canaminator

Reaction score
Most guys you hear that have drowned their outy have recomended opening the bottom end and checking the bearings as this leads to total meltdown as any silt or water will destroy the bottom end :eek::eek: expensive. Also where do you purchase that nice 75w purple tranny oil???

Top Bottom