Some thing interesting???

Dogbite

Reaction score
I received this from the ATVBC Communications Director.

The Daily Bulletin
Thursday, November 1, 2007
Stiff fines given to mud boggers
By GERRY WARNER
Townsman Staff

Stiff fines recently leveled against a group of Alberta mud‑boggers caught tearing up the countryside side in South Country near the Koocanusa Reservoir is good news, says local hunter and outdoorsman F.J. Hurtak.
Hurtak, who writes a regular hunting column in the Daily Townsman, says the $345 fines all the offenders received will hopefully deter others considering the same kind of destructive behaviour.

"It's a start," he says. "I think responsible people who own four‑wheel drive and ATV's are sick and tired of taking the rap for a select few who cause all the damage and destruction.

"It's about time they started to get tough on this small percentage of off‑roaders who give all ATV'ers a bad name and ultimately it's all of us that end up paying for it."

Hurtak was commenting on an incident Sept. 11 when reports were received of a raucous party taking place on the west side of the Koocanusa Reservoir across from Sand Creek. *The party was in full swing when a Conservation Officer (CO) arrived and damage was everywhere, says Senior Conservation Officer Paul Visentin.

"It was a boggy, wet piece of ground that stayed wet because it was near to the lake shore. They had gone in and just literally obliterated an area of maybe half an acre. When we encountered it, there was one quad completely devoured by the mud, Just the handle bars sticking out and two other quads that were in various stages of being stuck. They couldn't budge.

"There was quite a large group of people trying to pull the machines out, but they wouldn't budge. When we got them, it was about 11:30 at night. After we dealt with them, we came back the next day and took quite a few photos and issued them with violation tickets. It was just a large group of people who were there to party. Some were from British Columbia and some Alberta. It just got going and yahoo!

The five people charged were all from Alberta and they were charged under two pieces of provincial legislation. One, the little known Motor Vehicle All Terrain Act and the other, the Water Act. In both cases, the fines related to operating off‑road vehicles in such a way as to cause damage to a local lake or stream, in this case a small creek that flowed from the swamp to the lake.

Each of the offenders was fined $115 under the Motor Vehicle All Terrain Act and $230 each under the Water Act. Under the legislation, the five violators were given 30 days to pay the fines, but none of them have paid yet which means they have been deemed guilty, Visentin says.

No charges were laid under Bill 18, the Forests and Range Statutes Amendment Act which was introduced in the legislature March 16 and carries fines of up to $100,000 for mud boggers. It was because of the circumstances, says Visentin.

"The legislation is so new; I didn't feel comfortable using the legislation. I don't know how it would have played out using that one." Issuing tickets under the other legislation made the chances of conviction much more likely, he says.

Asked if he thinks there will be any deterrence because of the fines, Visentin replied in a philosophical vein. "Who knows what deters people from doing things? Sometimes just the presence of someone in the area with a uniform will deter things. Sometimes it has to be more. We can only really do what we do with what we have available for us to use.

"And right now we don't have any real effective tools to deal with mud bogging. It just isn't there."

Meanwhile, Hurtak says one potentially effective tool in the hands of CO's dealing with mudboggers would be the registration and licensing of all off-road vehicles.

"Licensing of off‑road vehicles is a must," he says. "There's so little enforcement out there (in the backcountry) and the CO's only have the resources to do so much."

Licensing of off‑road vehicles would give CO's the power to be much more effective than they are now and make it easier for them to identify and charge ATV'ers damaging the environment, Hurtak says.

It would also make it easier for responsible ATV users to identify and report destructive ATV behaviour without risking a possible ugly confrontation by trying to approach irresponsible ATV'ers directly, he says.

"I'm hoping the government is going to bring in something like this within a year and it will mean a lot of eye's and ears out there to report on people causing environmental damage," Hurtak says.

However, he says he hopes the government will make ATV' licensing and registration a "one time thing" like motor vessel licenses and not an annual fee. "That would just be a cash cow," Hurtak says.

But out of province off*-road users should have to pay an annual licensing fee to use the B.C. backcoun*try, he says. In return for their license sticker, they would be given a brochure and a map telling them exactly where they can go and where they 'can't go. Hurtak says.

"And the brochure would clearly tell them what the rules are and lay out the serious penalties for not obeying the rules in Beautiful B.C."

The first warning shot has been fired. The provincial government is getting a little sensitive to the scarring of the land by ATVs and 4X4 Mud Bogger enthusiasts. :nono:

Byron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO that SUCKS!!!!!!

lol i got a 175 dollar fine for driving on the GRAVEL road at bruderheim
and i wasne ridng really i was frikcin crossing it and i got a ticket now thats gay

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats so wrong with this? If you need to rip up an acre of land to have fun, do it on your own property.

nursepwdr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree ...most responsible people can ride and have fun and you never know they were there , but some have to tear up everything they find , just to be destructive ....Some people just need the enforcement to keep them from further destruction ......Just saying!!

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I agree one hundred percent with the fines and idea of a sticker for out of province users.
It's azzhats like that, that will one day force the provincial governments to ban off road activities.:nono::nono::nono:

carter.c

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this story only makes sense because they were doing it beside a lake and a river, but if they started ticketing anyone that whent and had some fun ripping through any old mud and muskeg that would be the worst. Mud is one of the funnest things to do on a quad.

carter.c

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this happend in the states right? does anyone know if there are laws like these in alberta?

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this story only makes sense because they were doing it beside a lake and a river, but if they started ticketing anyone that whent and had some fun ripping through any old mud and muskeg that would be the worst. Mud is one of the funnest things to do on a quad.

I agree 100%, I play in the mud as much as I can but have never deliberately tried to destroy sensitive land.

I also think most ppl are able to distinguish where they shouldn't be ridding!

quads

Reaction score
Good get rid of the idiots that are going to get this sport shutdown due to their selfishness. There are lots of responsible riders out there that take the flack for the above mentioned idiots.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
If you DON'T do anything like riding in sensitive wetlands where there is no trail, or you DON'T deliberatly go off trail to wreck wetland area's then you have nothing to worry about.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
if we are going to have to buy out of province plates for our quads then we should start a tagging system for people traveling to alberta to buy our groceries. come on man were all canadian. i spend a sh!t load of money in bc every year with quading and sledding. that would be ridiculous to implement something like that. I agree that fines should be handed out. this sounds like a bunch of idiots drinking and thinking they are going to impress someone one there machines. this does not represent all albertans. if checked into they were probably from bc but moved to alberta to work and were just back there visiting freinds, so lets try and get away from the whole rich albertan bullsh!t ruining bc. We all respect that beautifull province.

Smidgy

Reaction score
Whats so wrong with this? If you need to rip up an acre of land to have fun, do it on your own property.

The problem with this is not that they should have been doing this it is that there is not the proper locations for this type of activity. Just as some atv riders like to run day long trips to scenic locations and different places, others like to ride in the mud. The problem arrises when the two coexist. The destructive nature of one group doesn't match the harmony of the other.

Who is right/wrong? IMO niether. We need to have locations setup for each type of riding and suited to each type of rider. There are locations in the US that are designed to give the most to each type of individual where they can coexist with trails for some and mudpits for others. Just as the racer needs a track an atv'er needs his space as well.

Just because you don't agree with the actions above doesn't mean that they are not a part of atv recreation. One of the great things about atvs is the freedom in operating one, if the government steps in and tries to write laws against a certain type of rider how much longer before it steps in and writes laws that affect how you ride.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem with this is not that they should have been doing this it is that there is not the proper locations for this type of activity. Just as some atv riders like to run day long trips to scenic locations and different places, others like to ride in the mud. The problem arrises when the two coexist. The destructive nature of one group doesn't match the harmony of the other.

Who is right/wrong? IMO niether. We need to have locations setup for each type of riding and suited to each type of rider. There are locations in the US that are designed to give the most to each type of individual where they can coexist with trails for some and mudpits for others. Just as the racer needs a track an atv'er needs his space as well.

Just because you don't agree with the actions above doesn't mean that they are not a part of atv recreation. One of the great things about atvs is the freedom in operating one, if the government steps in and tries to write laws against a certain type of rider how much longer before it steps in and writes laws that affect how you ride.

It's not a law discriminating against any type of rider. If you showed up and ripped up ground in a lifted 3/4 ton truck, you would be subject to the same penalties.

The problem is that freedoms are limited when people make stupid decisions. Ripping up earth next to a lake is a stupid decision. If people keep making stupid decisions, freedoms will be limited.

You discuss tracks for people who enjoy racing. Are most of these private? If they are private, why is it that noone has opened up a zone for quads where you could rip up someones land, so long as you paid for the right to do so.

Also, is a helmet law effecting the way you ride? Some would argue that it does, and that is government mandated.

I'm not trying to start an argument, mearly a discussion. I can understand the draw to pushing a big machine through a deep hole, I just feel that people have trouble finding the appropriate spots to do it. This is likely because the wetest spots are usually near a lake. I'm pretty into keeping the lakes as clean as possible.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You discuss tracks for people who enjoy racing. Are most of these private? If they are private, why is it that noone has opened up a zone for quads where you could rip up someones land, so long as you paid for the right to do so.

I have a 300+ foot, 3 stage mud pit, and a big swamp on my property....perhaps you're onto something there....:d

what would peeps pay I wonder....per use, or annual fee?

5112_1171648296502_1386865186_15145.jpg

:beer:

Last edited:

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 300+ foot, 3 stage mud pit, and a big swamp on my property....perhaps you're onto something there....:d

what would peeps pay I wonder....per use, or annual fee?

5112_1171648296502_1386865186_15145.jpg

:beer:

I dunno, but I bet you could earn a years worth of beer supply just by letting people come for some fun. "Sure, lets go muddin, you bring the beer..." :d :beer: :beer:

Top Bottom