So how about those heli-skiers?!

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had the experience of being 'snow-washed' by a helicopter?. It would seem that the larger sledding in the mountains becomes, the more likely that the two activities may "converge". I know it's a loaded question but...any stories/opinions??. :argue:

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a close brush last winter in Valemont. I didn't cross the boundry line but was climbing about 40 feet to the left of it. Chopper flew over my head and caused a white out in front of me... needless to say I pulled out of the climb and learned a lesson... climb faster...lol:rant:

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heli Skiers

They don't want us in there skiing areas is fine with me.I don't want them on my side of the mountain either.You would think that the people that take the $15000 a week from these skiers would find a spot where we can't get to.

GRD

Reaction score
I have never ran into a chopper on the hill, but can't imagine that a white out by one is fun. There is always arguments between sledders and heli-skiers. I imagine as sleds get bigger and more areas are discovered that the two will see a lot more of each other.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Re: Heli-skiers

HI GUYS: I AGREE.... YOU'D THINK THESE HELICOPTER GUYS WOULD BE TAKING THE SKIERS BACK IN FARTHER(AFTER HAVING PAID THE HUGE BUCKS), TO MAKE SOME SEPERATION BETWEEN THE TWO FACTIONS. I SKI AND SLED, BUT IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER TO ME. :rant: JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the last few years we all have access to better sleds that are getting up into their areas they thought we could not reach. You are right, they should probably adjust to the new reality and go somewhere more exlusive, I think it's what their clients want anyway, and it's professional to seporate the activities if you can.

I don't think it's very professional to buzz a sled, but in the back woods maybe laws don't apply. I suppose they think that if the do it to a couple every one of us will get the message and stop?

But maybe one day one will cause a slide, maybe kill a sledder and I think that might be the end for helecopter stunting.:nono: I wonder if they think about stuff like that, or just their own thing.

MXOldtimer

Reaction score
All valid points guys. When we started this mountain riding thing (here we go with the old guy thing again) our equipment and better sense limited us to where we could enjoy our sport. The heliski and back country tourers were in areas we could only dream of. They were there first and were using areas that lent itself well to their sport. Fast forward to the mid 90's when we really got serious about rearranging snow and the conflicts started. Not so much as "stay out of our area" but "stay far enough away so we can't see you and ruin the illusion of exclusivity". Will we ever solve this? Nope, just get along and don't ride in their special places. We out number the skiers, don't have the narrow requirements for play areas, and we are really nice guys and gals that respect other users right to a pleasant experience. Just don't p&^% us off with a dog in the manger attitude.

We rescued 4 skiers about 7 years ago south of Golden. They made a wrong turn (couldn't resist), got themselves below where they needed to be to get back to the pickup point, kept on going until they found sled tracks. Lucky for them we were still in the hills and picked them up on our way out. Ever try to sidehill with a non rider on the back? I was lucky and my passenger was willing to stand on a running board and help out. Skiers were grateful, heli operator less so. Go figure.

Attachments

• 10568.jpg
    10568.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 10772.jpg
    10772.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 10778.jpg
    10778.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 44

I'vegotthenutz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This happened to me in Blue River, Wiegle jumped out of the helicopter and gave me and the buds sh!t and then we got a visit from the cops at the hotel and they told us not to play in mikes area or else...:rant:

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We saw this happening last year in blue river and I what I saw the helicopter doing was absolutely crazy. Buzzing, washing, and landing in front of sledders on the down-hill side to make an extreme point. This was even more disturbing because there were families with what looked like young and fairly inexperienced riders in their group. In the end, whatever opinions are held by any group or individual, I don't think that kind of action is the answer. Basically the local town-folk are very sledder-friendly and in a bit of a war with the Weigle ski operation. A little 'hatfield and mcCoy' going on perhaps!!?? But my advice if your every being chased to closely by a helicopter it might be a good time to play in the trees for a while.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are great big numbers on the bottm of the chopper,write them them down if the pilot is an ahole. He has a "PILOTS LICIENCE" that he does not want to loose for wreckless endangerment of others!!!:realmad: :nono: Report him accordingly and follow up on action taken by authorities. Before all this has to happen be sure you know where tenured areas are and avoid crossing them...why cause the issue. It is better to support local cubs,write letters to tourism or who controls land use. Have been very close to C.M.H. areas and they circled us but at a safe alttitude....Dore. My .02

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here's the way i see it, chances are if you are being "buzzed", you are probably the one who is in the wrong, don't go blaming pilots and skiers. these heli skiing areas are just like the sledding areas-- designated and mapped. i ride the valemount- mcbride area alot-family lives there. many times i have seen tracks leading into the heli areas, into caribou areas and closed areas, sledders aren't as responsible as they all try to make themselves out to be, if they were wide sweeping closures wouldn't be happenning to our riding areas. alot of sledders have no friggin' idea where they are riding, they just follow the tracks ahead of them. know where you're riding, stay away and respect other users areas and there wouldn't be a problem. if you want to see how sledders treat and respect their areas, take a trip up into the alpine in the summer after the snow is all gone---- i've done it in mcbride, namely lucille, the garbage littered all over is disgusting. another is the vandalism to the cabins in clemina and allen. i'm not saying that all sledders are like this, but i'd bet my life that alot of the one's that frequent these forums and run their yaps off are guilty.
that's my rant and 2 cents!!!!!!!!!:nono:

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My, that was a rant...feel better??.
I haven't been to the sledding areas in the summer, although I would like to someday, but I suspect I would probably be surprised by the amount of trash etc that you described. I have heard others report that as well. I guess the important point to make is that just because a skate-boarder might take a few pokes on the bus-stop benches on the street, doesn't mean the vehicle drivers need to run him down. Boy, that was a smooth analogy eh?

coyote

Reaction score
heli-skiers!!!!!!!!!!

i had a cool experience on friday!!!!!!!!! jan5th my friend and i were sledding at miledge and it was snowing hard so we ducked into the trees abit down the trail and a chopper landed about 40 ft from where we were and 10 people got out they were standing beside us very friendly my buddy looked down and keifer sutherlands name was on the skis he asked and sure enough it was him,he shook our hand and headed down the mountain.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
That's very cool about Keifer. Nice to hear a good story about the Heli-people for a change, they all can't be bad. Buddy of mine met Keifer about 10 years ago while playing pool in Reno and said the same thing, nice guy.

booster

Reaction score
If you are ever "buzzed" by a helicopter write down the call letters and call tranpsort canada.This is very dangerous to all involved including the pilot.Ever think of what would happen if the engine quit or the transmision came apart or the tail rotor? Zero altitude low airspeed bad news especially in the mountains.Dont bother with the local police they are on mikes side transport wont be so nice

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its not cost effective for heli companies to go into further territory to avoid sledders. but the closer to base they can ski the better for them....worse for us.

i cant remember who told me this but he was a chopper pilot and said just hold up a plastic bag and the pilot will leave in a hurry. i guess it can make a MESS of the chopper.

i would never let it go...wouldnt want to bring one down lol

booster

Reaction score
M y dad is a helicopter pilot and have lots of friends in the aviation community i asked him about it and :nono: very very dangerous i understand them wanting to mark their territory do it in another maner.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its not cost effective for heli companies to go into further territory to avoid sledders. but the closer to base they can ski the better for them....worse for us.

i cant remember who told me this but he was a chopper pilot and said just hold up a plastic bag and the pilot will leave in a hurry. i guess it can make a MESS of the chopper.

i would never let it go...wouldnt want to bring one down lol

the bags get sucked into the turbine and boom.

simple solution stay out of heli terrain.

Top Bottom