Snowmobile Hand Signals.... Do you know them?

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=-1]Left Turn[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=-1]Left arm extended straight out from shoulder and pointing in the direction of the turn. [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Right Turn
[SIZE=-1]Left arm raised at shoulder height, elbow bent and forearm vertical with palm of hand flat.[/SIZE]

Stop
[SIZE=-1]Left or Right arm raised from the shoulder and extended straight up over the head with palm of hand flat. [/SIZE]

Slowing
[SIZE=-1]Left arm extended out and down from the side of the body with a downward flapping motion of hand to signal warning or caution[/SIZE]

Oncoming Sleds
[SIZE=-1]Left arm raised at shoulder height, elbow bent and forearm vertical, wrist bent, move arm from left to right over head, pointing to right side of trail.[/SIZE]

Sleds Following
[SIZE=-1]Arm raised, elbow bent with thumb pointing backward, in "hitch-hiking" motion, move arm forward to backward over your shoulder.[/SIZE]

Last Sled in Line
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]Raise forearm from handlebar and show clenched fist at shoulder height.

H

Above is the correct hand signals to be using on any Snowmobile Trail Canada Wide. if you don't know them maybe you should learn them. This label should almost be a dash sticker.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i thought out here head guy signalled oncoming head guy the # of sleds behind thats the standard mountain signal as to avoid head ons on switchbacks and blind corners last person shows a fist meaning clear till next group

SHIFTmx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We point at the rock, or stump as we drive by it. Also i show the number of riders behind me to the oncoming sleds, unless of course it's more than five then ill use the sleds following sign.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We point at the rock, or stump as we drive by it. Also i show the number of riders behind me to the oncoming sleds, unless of course it's more than five then ill use the sleds following sign.

Careful with that number of sleds following signal. Lots of doo riders can't count past a "peace" sign. Bahaha

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the signal for" what the hell did I just do" ?

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If every sled in the line uses the sleds following signal, and the last guy uses the last sled in line signal you should never need to worry about how many sleds are behind you. It's also hard to see when 2 people are moving at 50km/h each how many fingers someone is holding up. Also, you don't know if perhaps another group has caught up to you and may be on the tail of the last rider in your group. So, if you throw up 4 riders behind you, there may be 8, that is just going to confuse the oncoming sled. Even if I'm the last person in line, I like to keep an eye on my six to see if there is anyone behind me.

SHIFTmx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If every sled in the line uses the sleds following signal, and the last guy uses the last sled in line signal you should never need to worry about how many sleds are behind you. It's also hard to see when 2 people are moving at 50km/h each how many fingers someone is holding up. Also, you don't know if perhaps another group has caught up to you and may be on the tail of the last rider in your group. So, if you throw up 4 riders behind you, there may be 8, that is just going to confuse the oncoming sled. Even if I'm the last person in line, I like to keep an eye on my six to see if there is anyone behind me.

Yep good point! Never thought of that.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never had to use them, if there is a bit of a trail all the sleds are going same way. There should be a sign for those not able to make the chute to the top though... wholly chite.

Top Bottom