Snow pack in the Elk Valley

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
On the eastern slope or the west facing slope on the east side of Highway #43 there is an interesting snow pack. A great base for early season and deep snow. I dug a pit today on a south facing aspect at 5500' and where we dug it there was 120 cm. On the ground was sugar and/or rotten snow for about 4 cm up. Then there was a very consolidated layer (I have never cut snow as hard as this was today) 96 cm on top of the rotten snow. A 2-3 cm rain crust was on top of the consolidated snow with 20 cm of "storm snow" sitting on the top of maybe a sun crust or thin rain crust. The results of a compression test were interesting. The storm snow separated with two easy taps. The consolidated 96 cm of snow broke at the ground with 4 medium taps on the shovel. The tower was solid and did not break as it hit the ground. It would appear that slab avalanches with be in order and the slabs may be very thick.

Be safe out there and don't get fooled into thinking there isn't enough snow to have an avalanche. Ride safe and be careful of the wind loaded slopes.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the eastern slope or the west facing slope on the east side of Highway #43 there is an interesting snow pack. A great base for early season and deep snow. I dug a pit today on a south facing aspect at 5500' and where we dug it there was 120 cm. On the ground was sugar and/or rotten snow for about 4 cm up. Then there was a very consolidated layer (I have never cut snow as hard as this was today) 96 cm on top of the rotten snow. A 2-3 cm rain crust was on top of the consolidated snow with 20 cm of "storm snow" sitting on the top of maybe a sun crust or thin rain crust. The results of a compression test were interesting. The storm snow separated with two easy taps. The consolidated 96 cm of snow broke at the ground with 4 medium taps on the shovel. The tower was solid and did not break as it hit the ground. It would appear that slab avalanches with be in order and the slabs may be very thick.

Be safe out there and don't get fooled into thinking there isn't enough snow to have an avalanche. Ride safe and be careful of the wind loaded slopes.
Very responsible and informative

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those are the kind that can really hurt

Guess the question is do these slopes have to slide before hey can be safe or can the snowpack bond some how

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Those are the kind that can really hurt

Guess the question is do these slopes have to slide before hey can be safe or can the snowpack bond some how

I'm not by any means an expert but with what I saw on the ground (the rotten snow), I will be cautious until I see what is happening in other places in our area. I do know it is good to dig a few pits early and see what is in the snow pack. I try to dig some throughout the winter to get a feel for what is out there on the different aspects and different mountain ranges that we ride.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A significant hoar event last night: Sat. Nov.28 in the Elkford area. So the north end of the Elk Valley. There are enough suspect items in the snow pack already, so good ol' Mother Nature may as well throw in another one.

IMG_3845.jpg

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
may be time to go to bingo hall, not looking very good out there!

Top Bottom