snow in intake

chaderbox

Reaction score
been wondering the tricks to keep snow out of the intake of some of our sleds. you see the mountain riders in videos just plowing powder and they dont seem to bog out but we have boggin problems. were not running pods just factory airboxes, this is on an xc and rmk, are pods the way to go or what are the tricks, any help is appreciated

BrandonSK

Reaction score
Ive been told you can by a screen that cover the inlet on the box. Ive never personally seen one. Ive also been told you could just use pantyhose.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can buy what's call pre-filter material(google may find some) cover your air intake foam with it. My 670 would start to bog when foam would start plugging up, wrapped it with prefilter and snow never sticks to it anymore. Check at SLP they have a few kits, it's hard to find just the material.

renslip

Reaction score
SLP does make just the screen. it comes in a patch about 1' x 1'. its fairly pricey but it works awesome

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
The other thing to condsider is riding in snow dust kicked up by the sled in front of you. Not good for the sled and will produce bogging. I can ride in deep powder all day but spend an hour in someones dust and the sled is coughing!:beer:

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Duct tape. cheap fast easy, put on inside, cant see it, rip it off when your done.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
put it on the inside of your hood on the back of the screens. Works great.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
put it on the inside of your hood on the back of the screens. Works great.

Sorry to be dense here, but want to make sure I know which screens you're referring to. The screens at the front of the hood just above the bumper?

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be careful using duct tape over your vents. Dont want to OVER HEAT and blow something. Need air flow.... I bought some stuff called "FROG SKIN" , its a black material. Keeps water and snow out until you touch the backside of it. I was told to carefully cut peices to cover my vents, and take a hot glue gun and put them on the backside of your vents. This allows your screens to still be visable ( which some people paid good money to have color acsents) and does the job in which it was intended. Allows air flow and cooling and keeps the snow out. There are kits out there as well but these kits stick on the outside and covering up your screens. Just my opinion. :)

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we have gone off in 2 directions on this post, the question was about bogging when snow got into intake, not the hood vents, you would not go far putting duct tape on the bottom of you air intake. Just wanted to clear that up.

Top Bottom