Snapped my pull cord!

Summit800_Andy

Reaction score
So i broke my pull cord and i was wondering if theres any way to just re-tie the cord or do i have to buy a whole new peice. I know Ski Doo makes the whole spindal piece as one so you cant just add a new rope. But has anyone figured out a good way to reattach the cord, or replace just the cord?

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may wanna re-look at your recoil. I haven't seen one yet that you couldn't put a new rope in. Wires are crossed somewhere buddy!

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes just the rope. Make sure to get the "good" rope for a few $ extra. It is worth it. I bit of a pain to get it off but to do the rewind is easy.

Summit800_Andy

Reaction score
I was in the shop in golden and was told that the rope and recoil are cast as one peice and have to be replaced all as one. Im going to pull it out tomorrow and see for myself. It broke only an 1" from the handle so im hoping i can just tie it back together.

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in the shop in golden and was told that the rope and recoil are cast as one peice and have to be replaced all as one. Im going to pull it out tomorrow and see for myself. It broke only an 1" from the handle so im hoping i can just tie it back together.

Only 1", tie it in a very big bulky knot on the handle and you will save alot of grief...

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if its just 1" from handle, yes just retie it.
dude 3ft of cord is less than $10
pull pull start housing off with alen ekys me druynken thunlks ...
make sure it stays together. slip hand in behind so it all comes as one or you will hate life !!!
tie end on cord.
thread thru hole in starter assembly that you removed cord from, not so easy , eh?
4 and a half winds on and reasslmble.

wot did da drunk forget ...

beszt to thread cord down thru oil housing before reading hte abouve

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can just change the rope, I put marine rope on mine I find it lasts a lot longer and is stronger and doesn't weather as bad.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i am pretty sure the the recoil is not made of rope and rope can not be cast so i do believe they are retarded whom ever you talked to ... 1 inch from the handle ummm maybe the rope will fit back in the handle hole and retie it just make sure you use the propper knot ... (ashley's stopper knot)

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its not BRP trying to make the money, its the qwack at the store who told him that. No you can reload rope, good luck

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So i broke my pull cord and i was wondering if theres any way to just re-tie the cord or do i have to buy a whole new peice. I know Ski Doo makes the whole spindal piece as one so you cant just add a new rope. But has anyone figured out a good way to reattach the cord, or replace just the cord?

I had an 04 Rev HME, and she was a great sled!!!
Broke the rope twice, spring got unrewound I don't know how many times??? Had rebuilding the pull cord assembly down to 15 mins, out and in.

But trust me........ don't even bother trying to repair it. For around $220.00 get a NEW recoil everything said and done. You'll never look back at TRYING to rebuild one, even though it is cheaper. But in the long run....... A complete new recoil,is worth the weight of gold. When your in the hills and something let's go :yikes: Just reach in your back pack, 10 mins later..... your riding for the rest of the season, with no worries of if it's going to start :D

Summit800_Andy

Reaction score
Its not BRP trying to make the money, its the qwack at the store who told him that. No you can reload rope, good luck

That "qwack" Is the Sled Shot guy from the shop in golden who you all seem to have respect for. Im sure i can get it figured out, just wanted to see what everyone had to say about it. Im hoping i can re-tie it, and possibly repalce the rope. If not THEN i will dish out the $200 bucks for a whole new recoil. Just doesnt seem with the money yet until it causes me problems.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No qwack comment here. You can re-tie your rope, but just my honest opinion from exprience. I wouldn't bother....
Best of luck to you

Summit800_Andy

Reaction score
Got the cord out and attached back on to the handle. took me about 45 minutes outside with cold hands and just a vauge idea of what i was doing. The cord was fully replaceable, and to think the shop was going to charge me an Hour labour, and 200 bucks for a whole new recoil? wouldnt have taken them more then 15 minutes! Insain!

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I WONT go to a stealership unless im completely stumped on something. Id wrather learn and do it myself. May not have the option of a mech on a sunday somewhere......speaking from experience here :(

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The recoils on Skidoo' are notoriously weak. Good for you for fixing the rope but be aware that there is a good chance the whole thing will blow up one of these days.

Top Bottom