Smokindave/damagedgoods Queest Mountain Dec.27-28

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We decided for this weekend to sled at Queest due to high Avy conditions.Parking is at the bottom of the mountain and they have started grooming the trail up. As this snow was the first major dumpping there was not much base. Tree riding ment being stuck but we did a lot anyways. We did manage to make it to Queest Lake and we were rewarded with some fantastic climbing.I have never in the past had a rough time riding out in any direction but this time you had to work to get out on the longer climbs.
A word of warning the lake has not froze up properly so be careful as we did go through the ice in a few spots.
Most rocks and stumps are covered up so we had no issues just fun. I do have a sore back from one cut block we tryed to climb with everyone getting stuck on stumps and logs.So stay out of cut blocks.
Playing in the trees was lots of fun but once again awful hard on the back as we were all getting stuck in about 4-5 feet of fresh heavy baseless snow.
As always we had fun at Queest with the end of the day bevies at the cabin. This is by far one of the nicest cabins I have ever been too that has propane lighting and one of the best wood stoves ever built with plenty of hooks and racks for drying.Its a very nice place to take the family.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

• Sicamous Dec.27-28-08 001.jpg
    Sicamous Dec.27-28-08 001.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Sicamous Dec.27-28-08 003.jpg
    Sicamous Dec.27-28-08 003.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Sicamous Dec.27-28-08 005.jpg
    Sicamous Dec.27-28-08 005.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Sicamous Dec.27-28-08 008.jpg
    Sicamous Dec.27-28-08 008.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 69

karbz700

Reaction score
looks good thanks for the update. Heading to blue lake tmrw then eagles.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was up there on wed. but since my RMK 900 spung a leak in the chain case I took it back down to the trailer and parked it for the day. I rode the 700 and boy I wish I had a bigger track, but thankfull that it was lighter than the 900. got stuck all day, even going down hill once lol. it looked like we were sinking 4-5 feet but still a great day and great view when the clouds broke. wish I had set up the rear for the two of us because it was so bumpy on the way down. going to get parts friday morning and try again lol.

cobbycat

Reaction score
We decided for this weekend to sled at Queest due to high Avy conditions.Parking is at the bottom of the mountain and they have started grooming the trail up. As this snow was the first major dumpping there was not much base. Tree riding ment being stuck but we did a lot anyways. We did manage to make it to Queest Lake and we were rewarded with some fantastic climbing.I have never in the past had a rough time riding out in any direction but this time you had to work to get out on the longer climbs.
A word of warning the lake has not froze up properly so be careful as we did go through the ice in a few spots.
Most rocks and stumps are covered up so we had no issues just fun. I do have a sore back from one cut block we tryed to climb with everyone getting stuck on stumps and logs.So stay out of cut blocks.
Playing in the trees was lots of fun but once again awful hard on the back as we were all getting stuck in about 4-5 feet of fresh heavy baseless snow.
As always we had fun at Queest with the end of the day bevies at the cabin. This is by far one of the nicest cabins I have ever been too that has propane lighting and one of the best wood stoves ever built with plenty of hooks and racks for drying.Its a very nice place to take the family.

Cheers,
Dave

hey dave, you commented about not wanting to ride avy terrain, and then you go to queest lake, a lake surround on three sides by large hills and no way out but up!!!!! it is a natural terrain trap!!! and what if it did avy onto the partially frozen lake you were standing on?

sounds like you better rethink the whole avy thing!!!

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey dave, you commented about not wanting to ride avy terrain, and then you go to queest lake, a lake surround on three sides by large hills and no way out but up!!!!! it is a natural terrain trap!!! and what if it did avy onto the partially frozen lake you were standing on?

sounds like you better rethink the whole avy thing!!!

We went to Queest after first dump of snow not Revy as first planed because of high avy danger.I have been on that lake in Feb. and still slushy.Conditions on the day we went was tacky snow.We came down on trail and stayed away from areas that slide.No rethinking as we carefully thought out our route in and out and in all the years riding there have only seen one part of the hill slide.Did you happen to look at the date of this ride?First dump of the season.Barely enough snow to get in let alone slide but seeing how you are an expert now we will keep your good intentions in mind the next time I ride.
You may notice what has been a weekly report hasn't been posted lately because we are waiting for snow to settle and conditions to get safer.By the way avy conditions on this weekend was low as we did check on the net.
Cheers,
Dave

cobbycat

Reaction score
We went to Queest after first dump of snow not Revy as first planed because of high avy danger.I have been on that lake in Feb. and still slushy.Conditions on the day we went was tacky snow.We came down on trail and stayed away from areas that slide.No rethinking as we carefully thought out our route in and out and in all the years riding there have only seen one part of the hill slide.Did you happen to look at the date of this ride?First dump of the season.Barely enough snow to get in let alone slide but seeing how you are an expert now we will keep your good intentions in mind the next time I ride.
You may notice what has been a weekly report hasn't been posted lately because we are waiting for snow to settle and conditions to get safer.By the way avy conditions on this weekend was low as we did check on the net.
Cheers,
Dave

I don't even come close to being an expert, just know the area, and that hill is a grassy slope with no rocks and trees! IF it does avy, there is no where to go. just saying that you guys were in a huge terrain trap!! I just don't want to dig any more brothers out of a snowy grave like we had to do on sunday. only said what I said because I care about all brother sledders, didn't say it just to cause waves. I have actually ridden with your crew and I was impressed with your respect of the mountain.

cheers back. darren

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Darren, Don't take offence if I had to dig somebody out or a corpse out I would be in the same state as you. I just wanted to let you know that we were thinking on this trip as you can tell by pictures we were on the far side of the lake out of any danger.It was a week to ten days after that trip that I wouldn't ride anywhere near there as we all know they got a dumping big time.
Anytime you want to ride once the conditions change I would love to go sledding with you as you are a true sledder looking out for your brothers and that is something that I respect. I would feel comfortable knowing how passionate you are to our sport and well being and would be comfortable knowing that you would not give up if a avy did came down on us.
I'll tilt my next mug in your honour and hope that Matt rests in peace.
I am sure if I did what you did I would need counselling, how do you cope?
If you need to talk or vent PM me and we will talk.
Cheers,
Dave

Top Bottom