Sleds, Quads, and Motorcycle Throttles.......Why are they different

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This should drum up some thought...................Im just thinking out loud.....

Motorcycles were the first on the scene............."Twist throttle"

Then Snowmobiles came along..................."Thumb throttle"

Then ATV's & PWC's came along...................Lever throttle similair to a sled..................but still different.

So is this just the "Evolution" of the throttle design" ??? Or do they fit the particular application better??

YA!! Im out of work at the moment.................so I have to much time on my hands :d:d:beer:

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This should drum up some thought...................Im just thinking out loud.....

Motorcycles were the first on the scene............."Twist throttle"

Then Snowmobiles came along..................."Thumb throttle"

Then ATV's & PWC's came along...................Lever throttle similair to a sled..................but still different.

So is this just the "Evolution" of the throttle design" ??? Or do they fit the particular application better??

YA!! Im out of work at the moment.................so I have to much time on my hands :d:d:beer:

Your in that club too ha ha uh Snowmobiles have more of a hand throttle and thumb on the quad but i think its more of a application thing than evolution, and for the twist throttle there are kits available to convert sport quads to twist throttle.

Bucky

Reaction score
I've got the old twist throttle on my old yammy trike, love it except when goin up a hill and my hand slips down, makes for unexpected wheelies and occasionally full pants. :d

vanislerev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It might have something to do with iceing up conditions if you were to use a twist throddle on a sled....just a thought>

very likely, i think the leverage and pulling forces on applied on a sled especially, or even a quad is much greater than that of a bike. be hard not to pull the throttle when trying to lay your sled over!

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have tried sport quads with a twist throttle (because I used to race bikes) went back to the thumb thottle....Just found I had better controlI also know a US National Pro quad racer that put a thumb thottle on his bike just because he was used to and conviced it was better...

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
My buddies old honda 250 R trike has a twist...I rode it ONCE...now I understand why it's not a good idea.....that sucker is pimped and will fly..as you accererate you slide back on the seat...causing you to accelerate more...eventually in an effort to avoid a backward rollover my leg ened up under the left rear wheel pulling me off the trike twisting the throttle as I tried to hold on burning a hole in the back calf area of my jeans (thank god I had jeans on) allong with multiple layers of skin...thank god for my helmet had I not had it on my face would have smacked the dirt and the bike would have wheeled over the back of my head which happend anyhow but due to the helmet my head/face escaped injury......

Scary $hit

Bogger:beer:

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The different throttle styles are mostly to do the style of machine. The twist throttle is the best for control because your hand is wrapped around the bar so you have a better grip on the machine. The bike is always balanced under you as well so you don't have to pull the machine back upright on unlevel ground. IE: a trail that's unlevel like a side hill, the bike stays staight up and down. Quads and sleds you have to lean over the machine and pull the on the machine to keep it more level. Sleds of course are the worst so you never see a twist on a sled. You have to pull on it too hard to keep it upright and it's very difficult with a twist. You do see twists on quads more because you don't have to pull on the machine as much as a sled to stay on it. Sleds are too tippy for a twist.

Bucky

Reaction score
Hey Bogger, looking at your avatar seems you had the same problem with your quad as on the trike!:d

Top Bottom