sleds been riden w/ parkbrake on

jimmyjames

Reaction score
A friend borrowed my sled(06 summit 800) today telling me he accidentally road for 200 meters or so with the park brake on(f**king idiot). He had a little fire burning my pull cored. Fire he says was minor and the sled ran fine on the way out. What should I check if anything!!! Any advice would be appriciated.
JIMMY BR

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
at the very least he ows you a new belt because its pootched but as for fire im not sure how that would have happened, ive done it before (not for 200 meters) more like 20 feet lol

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
new brake pads and check rotor for warping how do you get a sled to move with the brake on don"t you go over the bars when you let off the gas

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah my son drove i don't know how far but pooched a belt on a rental! man when something gets broke do they ever soak you, oh well only$$$200.00. ski-doo 600 e-tec 146, great sled, and cheap on oil an gas!

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would only charge him in a kick in the ball$, no more than that what a Dick head!!!:nono:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm sure everthing as far as brakes is fine, belt for sure needs replacing as stated previously :beer::d:beer:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure everthing as far as brakes is fine, belt for sure needs replacing as stated previously :beer::d:beer:

I would cheack bearings, seals etc as if he ahd a fire, she got pretty hot. That heat will travel down the shafts etc. Your caliper could packm it in as well it had to mget very hot.

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Auto's do not have hydraulic park brakes for good reason:
Hydraulic pressure fades with system cooling.
With the sled just run and warm, you set the brake, and later go to run it again.
It's all cooled down, the brake is barely holding, if at all, and the rider hits the trail.
It's warming up fast, yet the rider might not notice, cause the sled is still accelerating and he's using progressively more engine power to overcome the increasing braking effect with the growing hydraulic pressure.
He knows when he either lets off the throttle and it come to a pretty fast stop, or when the smoke starts coming out from under the hood.
This can and does happen to any sled brand/ATV.

Only real fix: don't set the park brake unless you need to, and make sure you take it off at your first opportunity.
And let the novice's out there know the hazards.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jimmyjames... that was awfully nice of your to lend you sled to a buddy. But you probably should have given him the 1/2 hour lecture first? I have seen lots of dumb things happen over the last 25 years of riding, Shmit happens. If he is a good guy he'll buck up for the expenses. :beer:

Oh Yah... don't all the doos come with a factory install fire extinguisher?

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Auto's do not have hydraulic park brakes for good reason:
Hydraulic pressure fades with system cooling.
With the sled just run and warm, you set the brake, and later go to run it again.
It's all cooled down, the brake is barely holding, if at all, and the rider hits the trail.
It's warming up fast, yet the rider might not notice, cause the sled is still accelerating and he's using progressively more engine power to overcome the increasing braking effect with the growing hydraulic pressure.
He knows when he either lets off the throttle and it come to a pretty fast stop, or when the smoke starts coming out from under the hood.
This can and does happen to any sled brand/ATV.

Only real fix: don't set the park brake unless you need to, and make sure you take it off at your first opportunity.
And let the novice's out there know the hazards.

Autos have mechanical brakes due to if you lose or rip off a brake line you have a back up braking system "emergency brakes" that is also why your break reservoir has two sections one for the front and one for the back brakes.

sledneck48

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bleed your brakes. Dont know why it happens but did that a few years ago went flyin into the corner at renshaw by the first bridge at about 70 squeeze the brakes and the lever went right to the bar and i went straight through the corner and ended up in a ditch. Dont know if it was from too much heat in the brakess or wut but it sucked in a bad way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom