Sledless... now to try before I buy!

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First weekend of decent snow, sold the Dragon in less than 4 hours.
Now I get to figure out what to buy next. Been lots of comments about the god and bad of all makes, but it will come down to how it feels and does it fit me for me to commit the 15K+ on a new sled.
Planning to rent a Pro RMK in Jan, would also like to rent a Skidoo XM as well before I buy.
Does anyone know where I can rent a 154" XM for a weekend?

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Maxwell, I usually ride sleds up in that neck of the woods, will have to check them out.

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 for Alpine Country Rentals. Rented from there a couple times before, and their sleds are meticulously cared for. :D

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell ?? Don't you have a extra one with you guys all the time?
Tren? somebody's ? Renting it couldn't be any harder on it than you guys?
Lol

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wise investment in my opinion. A full day on a new rental can answer a lot of questions.

I did the same thing before I bought my '13 XM. Rented a RMK Pro & also managed 1/2 day on a cat. Probably do the same thing again before purchasing after the manufacturers have a major chassis change.

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would you buy a new pro considering they have a new chassis and motor coming next season??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would you buy a new pro considering they have a new chassis and motor coming next season??

not without riding it and maybe even if I liked it I would wait a year of consumer abuse.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Isn't this the point of dealer demo units? I know it does not happen often in the sled world but a dealer should be willing to let someone use a demo for an extended test drive rather than just 15 minutes around the shop or at a marketing event where 200 people want their 5 minutes seat time.

Every time I bought a car from a dealer I always insisted on a 24 hour test drive and was always granted this.

There must be a way that dealers could offer a similar service to people genuinely wanting to compare brands and models.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Isn't this the point of dealer demo units? I know it does not happen often in the sled world but a dealer should be willing to let someone use a demo for an extended test drive rather than just 15 minutes around the shop or at a marketing event where 200 people want their 5 minutes seat time.

Every time I bought a car from a dealer I always insisted on a 24 hour test drive and was always granted this.

There must be a way that dealers could offer a similar service to people genuinely wanting to compare brands and models.

They do, however they also want to know that the person is really a keen buyer, not just someone who wants to wreck something, unfortunately the latter is what makes it hard for dealers to do this....usually a good dealer that has the time will head out with a customer and trade sleds with them to let them see the differences....it is a great way to talk about the differences and then show them in the field....ask your local dealer on what options are available.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good question! And I have considered to wait til 2016. The $1000 dollar question is...Will Polaris put in the new motor in the '16 Pro. It adds to my first world problem of which sled to buy.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a pretty good dealer that I have purchased sleds and SXS's from. Never thought to ask to be honest. Would be worth considering.
They do, however they also want to know that the person is really a keen buyer, not just someone who wants to wreck something, unfortunately the latter is what makes it hard for dealers to do this....usually a good dealer that has the time will head out with a customer and trade sleds with them to let them see the differences....it is a great way to talk about the differences and then show them in the field....ask your local dealer on what options are available.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a pretty good dealer that I have purchased sleds and SXS's from. Never thought to ask to be honest. Would be worth considering.

you will want some seat time on the doo if you are use to riding polaris. I cant stand the steering on the doo. The pro is super similar to your dragon other than its way lighter, and it doesnt trench the the iqs did.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got to spend some riding T3 163" and 14 Pro RMK 155"... I am not sure if I liked either.
I am especially uncomfortable with the T3. The sled is quite narrow and with the flex track and t-motion, it seems to just wanted to flop over. Not to insult any Doo riders, just how I felt. When caving I felt I could drop and leg to pivot and burn doughnuts like a motor bike. Power was noticeably more with the 'Doo, but I felt a little unsteady and unsure to really test it playing the trees, so I played in the meadows and little hills.
The Pro RMK felt like it was a scalpel when it came to carving and sidehilling. I hit a couple old tracks and it nearly bucked me off. Doing turnouts was easier than the Dragon, but making down hill turns I did not like how quickly the sled would turn and get me off balance. I would have to be much quicker transitioning from one board to the other. I got tossed off over the handle bars a few times making turns. Its almost too light...
I am regretting selling my Dragon too quickly.

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
try a new proclimb as well, they have great power in stock form and they are pretty easy to ride, also with nay new sled you hop on try and take 5 min or so to adjust the suspension, bars, controls, etc. it will make a huge difference!

happy sledding

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got to spend some riding T3 163" and 14 Pro RMK 155"... I am not sure if I liked either.
I am especially uncomfortable with the T3. The sled is quite narrow and with the flex track and t-motion, it seems to just wanted to flop over. Not to insult any Doo riders, just how I felt. When caving I felt I could drop and leg to pivot and burn doughnuts like a motor bike. Power was noticeably more with the 'Doo, but I felt a little unsteady and unsure to really test it playing the trees, so I played in the meadows and little hills.
The Pro RMK felt like it was a scalpel when it came to carving and sidehilling. I hit a couple old tracks and it nearly bucked me off. Doing turnouts was easier than the Dragon, but making down hill turns I did not like how quickly the sled would turn and get me off balance. I would have to be much quicker transitioning from one board to the other. I got tossed off over the handle bars a few times making turns. Its almost too light...

being a doo guy when they first released that narrow stance i had the same problem for probly 2 rides. then it was awesome. unfortunately a couple hour burn isnt enough to feel confident on it

Timber_12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a beautiful 2013 pro with a Carl's cycle 900 in it just calling your name! I'd even take a nice ski-roule as partial trade.

Adren-junkie

Reaction score
I would have to be much quicker transitioning from one board to the other. I got tossed off over the handle bars a few times making turns. Its almost too light...
That's your problem right there, all these new sleds require very little weight transfer to get them to carve or side hill. You need to get used to standing on both running boards & transfer weight from one foot to the other and counter steer. The majority of the time that's all you need to do. It's a learning curve, I'm still learning. Lol

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the Doo Doo once you ride it for 5 hours you will get the hang of it, they are easy to handle. For the Poo Poo haven't rode one but will likely handle well after some seat time. I was a Polaris guy then I seen the light and boys is it bright now.

Top Bottom