Sledding cost per KM

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's another way to look at it too. I am a thrifty kind of mom and we sled right from our house so we have no travel/trailer expense.
If we sled every day I will go through 3 Jerry cans(25L) per week. =65.00
20.00 for oil. For clothing and accesories, there is no way we could afford 800 for one person let alone the 6 of us. There is a second hand store that from time to time has actual snowmobile gear. We have one of those hooville type snowmobile suits for the bigger kids that works great. I shopped on ebay for helmets, for everyone. I still have my jacket from 10 years ago, would like to upgrade but that would be like 3 weeks of gas. You really save money when you take kids as you don't have such a big beer tab. We take a coleman thermos full of tea, a few hot dogs, and we're set. I compensate by not driving my truck to town as much.
you go mom

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Fuel for sled 10mpg @ $4.50 per gallon = .50/mile
$ 2500.00 depreciation on sled = 3.13/mile
Insurance/registration $ 500.00/year = .63/mile
4 trips/year to mountains @ 500/trip = 2.50/mile
repair maintence/oil @ 500/year = .63/mile
clothing/accesories @ 800/year = 1.00/mile
Trailer $5000 over 5 years = .80/mile

Total = 9.19/mile

1 mile = 1.6 km

$ 14.07 per km, thats probably about right if you own the trailer, that doesn't include depreciation on the truck your pulling the trailer with either.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who cares what it costs. Will be sled'n in Sicamouse at the end of Feb., ROAD TRIP--cost--doesn't matter.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some thinks are best left unknown to man!!!!

But here is the way I see it
Borrow friends sled....Free (makesure he has it full of fuel)
Catch ride with other buddy that has trailer..... Free
Room with anyone that will let you... Free (cause they had to rent room anyway so why give them money)
Beer and Food... Don't count cause I am going to eat and drink if I am sledding or sitting at home.

Sooo... I think it is pretty reasonable to go sledding using my formula!!!
( at least that's what I'm telling wife)

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Some thinks are best left unknown to man!!!!

But here is the way I see it
Borrow friends sled....Free (makesure he has it full of fuel)
Catch ride with other buddy that has trailer..... Free
Room with anyone that will let you... Free (cause they had to rent room anyway so why give them money)
Beer and Food... Don't count cause I am going to eat and drink if I am sledding or sitting at home.

Sooo... I think it is pretty reasonable to go sledding using my formula!!!
( at least that's what I'm telling wife)

And you still have friends left?:d

Reaction score
k you boys this is farmer B's wife. This is how it is justified. The total may seem high but you have some cattle so there you go most of the sleding expence is a right off.
I love riding so he has to take me with to the mountains and around home plus our son 7yrs also loves riding to so there is quality family time that is not including the riding we do with our extended family.
So if you take the overall cost and look at skiers who take there whole family to Banff or jasper I think sleding comes in cheeper.
The sled cost is higher for those who need newer fancy sleds but with the cows you right the sled off and then the wife (me) gets a sled with reverse. So the bottom line is buy some cattle and have a wife who loves to ride.:beer::p

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has any one ever figured out how much it costs to ride your sled per KM. Include the travel cost to your destination, cost of sled, maintenance, fluids, gear, food and everything else I bet you would be surprised. Mabie someone has there calculator handy :d

Is this a wise move may be some wifes wanting to match $$$ for $$$ then we cant afford 2 and one has to go!!!!!. Not in my case because my wife rides here XP and horses so I am OK. But it is a good thread. And I found out never say we are even because it is hard to get out of it.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am like everybody else here. I don't care what it costs to sled. When I stand at the top of the Rockies with my brother and our best friends, how can you put a price tag on that? It's like that TV commercial, "Priceless".

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am like everybody else here. I don't care what it costs to sled. When I stand at the top of the Rockies with my brother and our best friends, how can you put a price tag on that? It's like that TV commercial, "Priceless".

I was thinking too... We have lots of cloudy weather here due to Kootenay Lake. Makes people really depressed when they can't see the sun. So my husband and I are actually saving money on prozac we would have to take if we couldn't sled into the sunshine regularly get physical exercise and some vitamin d from the sun. It is very depressing without a sled when you are surrounded by 8ft snowdrifts throughout winter.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yah im the same way. my friends all want me to take them snowmobileing to the mountains all the time. but

how much will it cost?

i dont know? alot? if you are going to be worried about that the whole time please dont come.

northstar23

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a brother-inlaw who always used a formula he called "Dollars per Fun" whenever you'd use sizeable amounts of cash for a good time.
Well...using his formula I'd say that they were dollars well spent, no matter what it totals up too.:d

what he said

schmidda

Reaction score
If we calculated the cost/km then you would probably loose half the snowmobiling community. If by chance you try to, make sure to add back the social benefit, incorporate how it helps families grow together, cultivates friendships, put you in touch with the awesomeness of nature and supports your community businesses. Have fun with your calculations because while your doing them I will be sledding and enjoying the benefits.

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sledding isn’t the cheapest hobby out there but after you get over the start up costs it can be done at a reasonable cost. The more we can travel with buddies and share the cost the more affordable we can make it. I just hope some of the new people to the sport are not scared off by the price of some of the high end machines or mods. Riding on a budget is still WAYYYYYYYYY better than not riding at all. I have less invested in my tow vehicle, trailer and sled than most guys have in their Diesels but I am still able to get to the hill and have tons of fun with the boys.

So if you got it and want to spend it - great, if you still want to come and play without signing over your first born - even better.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are lots of different variables to consider here. This is what I come up with for myself.
Based on an average of 800 mile per year.

Fuel for sled 10mpg @ $4.50 per gallon = .50/mile
$ 2500.00 depreciation on sled = 3.13/mile
Insurance/registration $ 500.00/year = .63/mile
4 trips/year to mountains @ 500/trip = 2.50/mile
repair maintence/oil @ 500/year = .63/mile
clothing/accesories @ 800/year = 1.00/mile
Trailer $5000 over 5 years = .80/mile

Total = 9.19/mile

800 miles/year @ 9.19 = $ 7352 per year
You are going to own a truck,eat, drink beer even if you don't own a sled.
Seems like a big number,but everything costs money. Whats the sense of making it if you can't spend it on something you love to do.

But it's the best damn $9.19 per mile I'll ever spend. Way too much fun to think about it. Besides, what's the cost of sanity.....sledding keeps me from going postal.

yamahacurtis

Reaction score
One helicopter ride plus trip=$2000. New triton trailer $7000. $1300 for avalanche pack. Next week trailer plus two sleds got ripped off. $42000 in package plus $1500 deductible. $15000 for a new 09 hcr with 4yrs warranty. $800 for damages while my buddy was breaking in my sled for me before our second mountain trip. $125 for the bug deflector my buddy ripped off my 08 Duramax that has $1100 a mounth payments. second trip was cheap at $600. $4000 trip for the wife somewhere warm because she is pissed at me for how much sledding is costing!!! This year travel miles 2700kms on truck and 250kms on sleds. Money spent around $33000. Thats $12.22 a km on the truck or $132 a km on the sled.

Reaction score
who cares what it costs how to you put a price on memories and the great stories you get to tell about a buddy plowing snow with his lid when he gets tossed and such things as that we don't ride to save money we ride for relaxation and the pure joy cause its a blast

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled 10000
Truck 5000
deck 500
gear 1500
beer 1000
watching friends do stupid things priceless
Dec 27th 2008 025.jpg

Dec 27th 2008 050.jpg

sledding jan28 09 016.jpg :d:d:d:d