Sledbetties - Behind the Curtain

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is an article writen by Susie Rainsberry. A good read :cool:

"Behind the Curtain"

It all started with a tease on the Ladies Ride forum on October 8, 2009. Brandy Floyd, aka Coyotegirl, simply posts, “Taminator has me daydreaming, once again!” Taminator, aka Tamara Osborne, then responds with, “You’ll be doing more than daydreaming soon……” And then, less than 24 hours later, on the morning of October 9, 2009 – she throws down the gauntlet, “The first-ever, full length, ALL LADIES video coming to your living room Sept ’10….”

Following that pronouncement, were 1,000s of phone calls, 1,000s of texts, pages upon pages of forum threads, and gigabytes of email. The advanced technology available to us today has been, without a doubt, a critical element in this project. It enabled a far-reaching idea, floating around in the heads and hearts of a few women, to become an full-throttle adventure, embracing hundreds of people and producing a final product for sale into a market-space historically dominated by men. I’m sure there is some good marketing research in this story, but that is certainly not was this is about.

This is about a dream fulfilled. It’s about passion. It’s about women rising to the forefront of backcountry snowmobiling.

It’s amazing to think of all that was needed to make this film a reality! Who is going to film? Who is going to ride? How is this all getting coordinated?

The producers of this film, didn’t have a “core team” like we see with other film production companies like Boondockers or 509 Films. Nor did they have a core location for filming. The Sledbetties didn’t have a core anything. Except passion and a dream! “Logistically we aren't close to each other, but as team members we are in sync and sharing an excitement that can be felt across the miles,” said Tamara, Team Producer.

The Sledbetties team was created from scratch. Many of the Sledbetties featured in RISE had never ridden together before filming started. The reported riding abilities of women offering to ride for the film had to be accepted on simple trust. Whether they could really get out there and tear it up for the camera remained to be seen. Brandy had this to say, “My role of Rider Coordinator was to wrangle up the most talented women in the industry. In the beginning there were women on the radar that we wanted, many on our Production Team, but throughout the journey we were contacted by others who just had not been found yet!”

Nineteen women rode for this film. They are filmed doing all the same riding that the men have been showcasing in films for over a decade. Film Coordinator, Emilie said, “The women riders who have come forward wishing to submit footage as this project has gained recognition have shown such drive, talent and determination.” They climb chutes, they boondock, they are caught flying through the air and off of cornices, and of course, they crash. The difference is, when they take off their helmets you see long hair, eyes that sparkle, and smiles that beam. You will sense their excitement through the lens of the camera. These women are breaking ground and they know it. RISE is about inviting the industry and fellow snow lovers to glimpse into the addiction that these women have for riding their snowmobiles in the backcountry.

Just having the riders wasn’t enough though. The producers tracked down and lobbied for experienced videographers. Many of whom were already dedicated to other projects. Novice videographers were also brought on board. The final filming partner list includes seven production companies, but the list of individuals who also provided camera assistance is even more extensive. Sarah Whipple, Art Director, said, “We're a small community that is growing rapidly and it's great to see such strong support from vendors through out this industry already.”

Sponsorship. WOW!! A lot of faith came into play on this front. A film featuring only women snowmobilers had never been attempted. The women on the production team: Tamara Osborne, Emilie Moreshead, Brandy Floyd, Amy Flowers and Sarah Whipple, had recognition in the industry, but not in film production. This is where their passion became contagious, and many vendors and individuals agreed to be a part of it. Amy said, “I have learned that there are so many fantastic companies out there who support us in this adventure. It is so great to feel the sense of the snowmobile community come together to get behind our all-women video.” Over 25 sponsors joined the team and Sledbetties is immensely thankful for their support!

It would be nice to think that all this came together succinctly, one step at a time. Create production team – check; get sponsorships – check; finalize rider list – check; schedule filming dates – check. In fact, it was a continuous juggling act and it was a looooong year. Filming began in February and Tamara was still collecting footage in July. Filming took place in the mountains of Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and British Columbia. And while everyone prayed and danced for good snow and sunny days, that didn’t always coincide with filming dates. Some filming happened on overcast and generally crappy days. This caused moments of doubt and discouragement – in two countries! But crappy snow, lack of funding, or any other obstacles would not hamper the desires of these women.

So, here we are now, a year from when gauntlet was tossed down by Tamara. This has been an enormous undertaking, that those of us on the outside can only imagine. The reality of the stress, worry, hope, anxiety and enumerable hours put forth by the production team is likely only to be truly realized by them, when they see the 5x7, shrink-wrapped product in their hands. Or better yet, in the hands of customers!

“I am scared out of my mind for the day that you all get to see it...but it's a day I can't wait to happen! I get teared-up just thinking about...how girly of me.” - Tamara

If you want to see more details about the entire project, including Rider Profiles, Sponsors, and Filming Partners, be sure and visit the Sledbetties website.

*Sledbetties thanks Susie for her undying support, for all the hard work she does for SAWS and for being such a strong advocate for our sport :cool:

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
AWSOME.....................Very well written!
Congrats tp all of you!
catmando!

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
great article! :) she includes so many facts that most people would not even consider. You ladies have accomplished something huge. Congrats!

Top Bottom