Sled Revving from 5500rpm's to 6500rpm's

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was heading up a hill when my sled would go fast at 6500 rpm's than slow down to 5500 than fast to 6500 and back down to 5500. Continuously did this till I reached the top, I was a bit worried, so I took it to a different part of the hill. To try it again in some untracked powder up a hill, it did it again, when it came down to 5500 I got stuck. I took it to an open area and cracked it wide open and could only get up to 7900(note day previous in the same area I was hitting 8100). My max needs to be 8200, I went to adjust my weights from a 3 to a 4. It wouldn't let me turn the built to anything higher then a 3?

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was heading up a hill when my sled would go fast at 6500 rpm's than slow down to 5500 than fast to 6500 and back down to 5500. Continuously did this till I reached the top, I was a bit worried, so I took it to a different part of the hill. To try it again in some untracked powder up a hill, it did it again, when it came down to 5500 I got stuck. I took it to an open area and cracked it wide open and could only get up to 7900(note day previous in the same area I was hitting 8100). My max needs to be 8200, I went to adjust my weights from a 3 to a 4. It wouldn't let me turn the built to anything higher then a 3?

When you were trying to change your clickers from 3 to 4, were you using your fingers or the wrench? If the clutch hasn't been cleaned in a while, or the ramp pivots are tight, you will not be able to move the bolts by hand, so you have to pull out your 13mm wrench. The bolt should move with very little effort on the wrench though. I know with the 2008's, the ramps were cut in a way that you had to constantly change clickers to maintain proper RPMs on the trail. I am not sure if your fluctuation was caused by something like this, but I doubt it, as Ski-doo apparently fixed this in 2009. If you were hitting RPMs the day before in the same area, I would be looking at something else as the culprit. Hmmmmm.....

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you were trying to change your clickers from 3 to 4, were you using your fingers or the wrench? If the clutch hasn't been cleaned in a while, or the ramp pivots are tight, you will not be able to move the bolts by hand, so you have to pull out your 13mm wrench. The bolt should move with very little effort on the wrench though. I know with the 2008's, the ramps were cut in a way that you had to constantly change clickers to maintain proper RPMs on the trail. I am not sure if your fluctuation was caused by something like this, but I doubt it, as Ski-doo apparently fixed this in 2009. If you were hitting RPMs the day before in the same area, I would be looking at something else as the culprit. Hmmmmm.....

Great responses Sleeper700, repped.

When I loosened off the nut and went to finger turn the bolt to 4 it barely wouldn't make it. It felt like the bolt was off center once I got close to 4 or 6. I was worried about wrecking something so that's why I didn't try to turn it with the wrench.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your clutches need to be pulled apart and cleaned.

This is a used sled but new to you?

If it is this should have been the first pre-season check and going over that you should have done before the first trip. Even regardless if the previous owner said the clutches have been serviced.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your clutches need to be pulled apart and cleaned.

This is a used sled but new to you?

If it is this should have been the first pre-season check and going over that you should have done before the first trip. Even regardless if the previous owner said the clutches have been serviced.

Yes 900km and new to me. Do you think that the drop and increase of 1000rpm's coincides with a dirty clutch? Either way it will have to be checked out, thanks.

Reaction score
Sounds like the fixed sheave bushing on the primary may be damaged or worn, common problem on the Xp's, may also be a roller or any number of the critical part inside the primary. If your out in Revy and still having a problem just give me a call and we can check into it. I got my own shop just out of town and I am very familiar with the xp sled. Last winter I worked with Peter at Powder Petes maintaining a dozen Xp's from 2008's to 2010's

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you need to use a 13mm wrench to adjust the clickers. there is a lobe on the bolt that adjustts the ramp. which are BOLTED into place. it takes some force to raise them. therefor use a wrench your not harming anything.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the fixed sheave bushing on the primary may be damaged or worn, common problem on the Xp's, may also be a roller or any number of the critical part inside the primary. If your out in Revy and still having a problem just give me a call and we can check into it. I got my own shop just out of town and I am very familiar with the xp sled. Last winter I worked with Peter at Powder Petes maintaining a dozen Xp's from 2008's to 2010's

Wow that's a very generous offer, whats your number Brandy, I'd definitely like to save it in my phone.

you need to use a 13mm wrench to adjust the clickers. there is a lobe on the bolt that adjustts the ramp. which are BOLTED into place. it takes some force to raise them. therefor use a wrench your not harming anything.

Thanks Sean, I just bought some quick clickers.

Top Bottom