Sled just sits there revved

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sled will sit there and rev 3000rpm+, I sat for 5mins and it just stayed at 3800rpm's revved up. Is this common? Sometimes it eventually come down to a 2400-2600rpm idle.

Also makes a clunk noise when you shift into reverse and give it gas. I try to use reverse the least amount I can because it doesn't sound healthy.

Sorry for all the questions...

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you might have a crack in your intake boot or your throttle cable is hooking up on the outer shield see if the cable is not rubbing up against something

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sled will sit there and rev 3000rpm+, I sat for 5mins and it just stayed at 3800rpm's revved up. Is this common? Sometimes it eventually come down to a 2400-2600rpm idle.

Also makes a clunk noise when you shift into reverse and give it gas. I try to use reverse the least amount I can because it doesn't sound healthy.

How warm is the engine? Mine idles high when it is cold. Usually comes down once it is warm. I just feather the choke to get the revs down before I hit the kill switch if I need to shut it off when it is revving high.

I would say the clunk is normal. Your secondary is changing from rotating forward to backward, and there is a bit of play before it hits the rollers or sliders in reverse. This is where you hear the clunk. Mine does it too, and I'm sure most other Ski-doo's with RER.

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Not sure about your revving, but with the weather being so cold, all sleds when going into reverse make that weird noise. I guess you should have bought a Poo! LOL!

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If your idle is that high when at operating temperature then you should drop it. The service manual calls for 1600RPM +/- 200 RPM.

If you do think you have an air leak. Try spraying a little ether on the boots while idling if the engine revs up you have a problem.

I would check your chain tension make sure it's good and tight for the reverse clunk!

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually the Summit idle speed is 1900 +/- 200. The 1600 is for a GSX with an 800R in it.

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

With this and the other chit going on with your revs at 55 to 65K at WOT, maybe take it over to Windsor and have them check it out.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
If your idle is that high when at operating temperature then you should drop it. The service manual calls for 1600RPM +/- 200 RPM.

If you do think you have an air leak. Try spraying a little ether on the boots while idling if the engine revs up you have a problem.

I would check your chain tension make sure it's good and tight for the reverse clunk!

I would personally stay away from ether.

A small propane torch (without lighting,lol.) you will see an increase in rpm if you have a leak.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would personally stay away from ether.

A small propane torch (without lighting,lol.) you will see an increase in rpm if you have a leak.

Ether smells better than propane though! :p

Propanes a good idea though... never thought of that. Won't dry out rubber like ether either.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ether smells better than propane though! :p

Propanes a good idea though... never thought of that. Won't dry out rubber like ether either.

Haha, yea, ether scares me, I'm a see if I can snag a torch and give that a go. Last thing I want to do is take it to a dealership and grab my ankles. Hopefully I can figure it out before next weekend.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha, yea, ether scares me, I'm a see if I can snag a torch and give that a go. Last thing I want to do is take it to a dealership and grab my ankles. Hopefully I can figure it out before next weekend.

I use wd-40. It lubes as it burns. hahaha

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use wd-40. It lubes as it burns. hahaha

the problem is that the new propellant of WD40 is no longer LPG (Propane basically) :mad: its now carbon dioxide - so this doesn't work very well at all anymore.

But you are right, it does lube while it burns, vs ether that dries everything out. A better bet is still propane as stated.

jimxp

Reaction score
a good way to get that reverse clunck out and have a smoother shifting clutch is the team tied clutch

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing I could bring down the RPM with a flick of the choke but it would go back up. Took it in for a leak down test and failed horribly new engine later everything was good to go. My crank seal was good my problem was a reed petal delaminated broke off and went thru the engine, sounded like a common problem. The earlier 800R are notorius for bad crank seals leading to RPM creep

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing I could bring down the RPM with a flick of the choke but it would go back up. Took it in for a leak down test and failed horribly new engine later everything was good to go. My crank seal was good my problem was a reed petal delaminated broke off and went thru the engine, sounded like a common problem. The earlier 800R are notorius for bad crank seals leading to RPM creep

hey work2ride is that what you wanted to hear about your new sled?

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Try adjusting idle knob on the carb?

If still no good likely just too lean of a pilot jet. If you give a little choke does it come down and slowly start creeping up again? Most sleds seem to do this especially when it's cold out. Just need a richer pilot jet...

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try adjusting idle knob on the carb?

If still no good likely just too lean of a pilot jet. If you give a little choke does it come down and slowly start creeping up again? Most sleds seem to do this especially when it's cold out. Just need a richer pilot jet...

Does anyone know what the stock Pilot Jets in an XP are?

nielsy

Reaction score
turn your fuel screws out 1/2 of a turn they sit on the side of the carbs you can recognize them with a white knob

Top Bottom