Sled Decks and Slip Tanks

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never heard of anyone having a problem with a slip tank and insurance before...last yr my brother wrote his diesel off with a slip tank plumbed into the truck and was paid out no problem and the insurance even gave him his tank back from the old truck. Another buddy rolled his dodge last yr and had over 30,000 in damages including a crushed slip tank in the back and his insurance fixed the truck and replaced the slip tank. After reading this thread today I thought I better call my insurance just to be safe and was told there would be no issues with a slip tank in my truck as long as it was secured properly.

rmk mod

Reaction score
Do not gravity feed, we did this on our service trucks when we first started running the slip tanks. The problem being is that the main tank would over fill and your fuel would start to pour out the vent, On F-450's. So we had to run a separate solenoid on a switch that would fill the tanks. Problem solved , fill the tank to full and then flip the switch.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I have a tank being built now, its 48" X 24" X 12". It will fit between the wheel wells, in front of my 5th wheel hitch (summer) and under a sled deck for winter. The tank will be approx 225 liters. I am going to plumb it into the stock tank. I'll throw up a pic when done. What are you guys doing for plumbing into stock tank for gravity feed?

AA
Mine is plumbed into the vent line that runs to filler spout.Works great.

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i am going to get a buddy to weld me up a slip tank 4ftx4ftx1ft It will hold aprox 420L it will sit under the deck i will just get rid of my L shaped slip tank. Any ideas on how big of a deck to get 8"or 7"?? I have a 09 F350 shortbox, i have a 153" and 162" tracked sleds??

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just checked my insurance as well. They said it is no problem as long as once I get the tank I let them know, so there is a note of it in my file in case there is an accident.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i am going to get a buddy to weld me up a slip tank 4ftx4ftx1ft It will hold aprox 420L it will sit under the deck i will just get rid of my L shaped slip tank. Any ideas on how big of a deck to get 8"or 7"?? I have a 09 F350 shortbox, i have a 153" and 162" tracked sleds??

Depends on what you're going to do with the deck. Is it just hauling sleds? If so, go for the longest deck you can, I would go with a 104" shortbox deck. Are you hauling quads and pulling a holiday trailer in the summer? If so, then you don't want any overhang on your deck, as you will end up stabbing corners when you turn. If it is multi purpose, I would recommend an 88" deck and an extension. Shoot me a pm, I can send you send pictures of a pretty slick setup. The price right now is pretty awesome too.

vtlbill

Reaction score
It's not about saving $5 a tank. It's the fact of having fuel with you when you need it. Being able to drive right to the trail head without having to worry about your fuel in your pick up. So nice to be able to drive past those places that think they have you for being the only fuel station around for miles and their prices reflect that.

Untouchable

Reaction score
I work in the oilfield and i haul diesel all the time 320L of it everyday. I have commercal insurance that covers me to haul only diesel though!!!!! So it is not about saving 5 buck on a tank for me my comany fills it up 320L FREE that is a trip to the mountain and back FREE diesel!!!! That is way we do this and it is not a bomb if it is diesel!!!!

Well if your company is filling your tank for free, why don't you just use the fuel card in at the service station in the mountains. Or are you just stealing the fuel, because your employer is just to stupid to see the employees are abusing the fuel and using it for personal use and not putting it into the equipment like it is intended for.

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most equipment companies use this as a perk of the job so he probably is allowed to use the fuel and instead of having to stop in some town along the way he fills his tidy tank! if I had the option I would do the same! But that is what most companies do now.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most equipment companies use this as a perk of the job so he probably is allowed to use the fuel and instead of having to stop in some town along the way he fills his tidy tank! if I had the option I would do the same! But that is what most companies do now.
The construction company i work for in the summer uses it as a perk to a certain extent. we had a crackhead truck driver sell 20,000$ worth of diesel before the invoice came in. Now all slip tanks have meters all owner operators are required to meter off fuel and if there is a 100-150 liter difference its no biggy but anything more and you have to go in and explain yourself.

Top Bottom