Sled Deck Tail Lights?

northof40

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has added tail lights to their decks? I have been searching through old threads but have not came up with anything in writing.

Up until this year I was always under the 1.2m overhang from my truck tail lights so I haven't needed anything additional. Just wondering if it is legit to have tail lights on the deck, or if that doesn't count because its not an original part of the vehicle. I was just going to rig up a light for the back of the sled but my OCD kicked in and was thinking tail lights would be a cleaner install haha.

Reactions: GRD

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My full lotus has one red led on the end of each side that acts as a tail light. I believe they do it for this reason. it's just wired with a 4 pin.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a plug mounted on sled deck underside,plug lights with a coiley cord that hang on sled bumper so lights on back end of sled,when no sled s on deck unplug and ready for next time

Sled a lot

Reaction score
Just make sure it's red lights on the back. I got a warning for having red lights on the side. RCMP said that it has to be orange markers on the front and red on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

northof40

Reaction score
yeah I am planning on doing the removable light. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with actual tail lights. Found a post after some more searching from several years ago, one of the members on here did have a tail light set up, and had it ok'd by the rcmp.

This was the setup he had.
1zzqjqx.jpg

Reactions: GRD

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll take a picture...both my Cross trax deck and the extension have 3 loonie sized red marker lights in the middle of the deck.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rigged up several long load lights in the past, but anything corded can be a bit of a pain in the @ss. Seen these at Canadian Tire the other day....they have a battery powered LED light, and for $10, a guy should have 6 of them in the ol' tickle trunk.

Attachments

• IMG_7650 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_7650 (1024x768).jpg
    69 KB · Views: 268

northof40

Reaction score
I'll take a picture...both my Cross trax deck and the extension have 3 loonie sized red marker lights in the middle of the deck.

Yeah, most, if not all decks do. Those lights are indicators for your width.

Im not talking about just having clearance lights on the deck. Im talking actual tail lights (stop/turn/tail). And just looking for experience that anyone might have with the DOT/RCMP, if it is acceptable or not to measure the over hang distance from those lights if I installed them or if it HAS to be from the trucks tail lights.

Last edited:

GRD

Reaction score
yeah I am planning on doing the removable light. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with actual tail lights. Found a post after some more searching from several years ago, one of the members on here did have a tail light set up, and had it ok'd by the rcmp.

This was the setup he had.
http://i64.tinypic.com/1zzqjqx.jpg
That is my old truck and deck. I still have the deck and same set up on my current truck. Lights are on my extension (running, brake and signal). Both RCMP and city said I am legal with this set up. The three LED lights alone in the extension do not make it legal.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rigged up several long load lights in the past, but anything corded can be a bit of a pain in the @ss. Seen these at Canadian Tire the other day....they have a battery powered LED light, and for $10, a guy should have 6 of them in the ol' tickle trunk.

Those are a great idea!

I was lead to believe that if the sled over hang is more than the 1.2m past the OEM marker lights, than either the flagging (day light) or the marker light had to be located at the end of the over length load?

The problem with issues of this nature is that it can be left to the interpretation of the arresting officer. Your local member might call it good enough, but the member somewhere in the depths of BC may have a different opinion. It's tough to argue on the side of the road!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was lead to believe that if the sled over hang is more than the 1.2m past the OEM marker lights, than either the flagging (day light) or the marker light had to be located at the end of the over length load?

That's what the regulation says. Not really open to interpretation. :rolleyes:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
0013fa837ae610014ff7cc7654f15075.jpg
according to the world wide Web these are in stock in Spruce Grove

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
70e2b73e6ef85e617540badeab6b9ac8.jpg

My deck sits flush to the back of my box, and it has a flip over extension. When I have my sled on, I have a piece of aluminum plate with a 3/4" led light and a flag mounted onto the plate. I have the doo heavy duty rear bumper with the 2 factory bolt holes for a hitch. I ran a couple of bolts with wing nuts, and I made a plug in off the marker lights on my extension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom