Sled Deck or Trailer?

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's simple you just need to use it more. I hit my ramp at an easy pace just to get my track to bite the ramp. After that I just climb up it slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just throttle control. Keep the clutch engaged. Goes up no problem at a walking pace.

A little burp sometimes is needed to get track contact with the ramp.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

thanks for the tips guys
I find myself getting stuck at the bottom of the ramp, skis on the ramps, track spinning out
guess ill have to practice w it more to get the hang of it

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can guarantee you will be overweight with two sleds on your deck, had a 2006 2500 5.9 diesel and i was over weight with a quad cab where you have a mega cab so more weight yet. Ended up going with a 2500 gasser and was legal wherever i went so if you are at all wondering if you will be legal in bc i can tell you you wont be. So if you get stopped you will be leaving one sled on the side of the road and coming back later to pick it up if you get the wrong cop who stops you.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw somewhere a device to hook on to the back of your ramp with some cleats on it kinda like a rope ladder for traction at the track when your skis start to go up the ramp, but I'll be darned if I can find it now. Buddy built something similar last year with a 2x10 and some cleats. Worked really good. My 10 foot ramp has never been an issue.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
thanks for the tips guys
I find myself getting stuck at the bottom of the ramp, skis on the ramps, track spinning out

Steel, momentum is your friend. It doesn't have to be fast but let the momentum carry you far enough to get the track biting on the ramp rungs and then it is a cake walk.

I took my wife a little while to overcome the anxiety but she is a trooper now unless I park on a cambered road.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the tips guys

Just found this on the net. Think it would definately help with the traction problem when loading. Pretty easy to build.

snowmobile-ramp-15.jpg

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Steel, momentum is your friend. It doesn't have to be fast but let the momentum carry you far enough to get the track biting on the ramp rungs and then it is a cake walk.

I took my wife a little while to overcome the anxiety but she is a trooper now unless I park on a cambered road.

Like Doug says, its all about momentum, don't pin it, take it easy and let the momentum get you to the point that the track is grabbing the ramp, then feather your throttle up.

It takes practice for sure.... I loaded our Proclimb 8 onto the girlfriends Dakota last week, and it took me about 6 or 8 runs because its the first loading of the year, and her ramp is steeper going into the dakota then the ramp on the big deck on the 3/4 tonne.

Don't feel sheepish about taking multiple runs, its better to load safely, then to put your sled thru the back of your truck.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Deck all the way! I had a deck on my 2500 gmc never had an issue with the d.o.t and the weight. Now deck is on new f350. I ride with a group 2 of us with decks and 1 with amassive mirage trailer both do the trick and gtet you out riding but I love the ease of a deck especially for early/late riding most FSR roads are pretty gross I would hate to drive that chatter creek road in spring with a massive trailer

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A deck is great, but a 3/4 ton mega cab diesel will be legally overweight. I have a deck, but it is on a Ram Quad Cab Diesel 1 ton SRW. Bear in mind that payload capacity varies from truck to truck based on truck options, and the payload number doesn't include fuel, passengers, gear, etc. It all adds up, and after dropping a sled on the side of the road once, I went with a 1 ton pickup to avoid future issues.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
We are in the fortunate situation to have both a deck and a 28ft enclosed trailer. I love the trailer because with 5 kids and my Mom plus Larry and I when we go sledding we tend to have alot of chit!!! Do you know that you can pack those trailers all the way to the ceiling and still get 5 sled in?????? The trailer is perfect for getting changed in and getting the kids ready in. Then they aren't running around the parking lot getting wet or muddy before we even start the day, well sometimes they are and then I have to change them again but I try to forget those days and my level of frustration on those days! Plus it's nice if you have a break down you have a place that's heated to fix your sleds. But the trailer is also expensive to be hauling around all over the place.

Our deck is nice to get into places in the spring where our trailer can't go. It's also nice when it's just Larry and I.

Last year we had the perfect set up. We were able to leave our trailer out in the Pass during the week and just drive the truck back and forth on the weekends. We had the deck on the truck in case we needed to bring a sled back and forth to be worked on during the week or whatever.

Jan

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
excellent, and well thought out!
If you live close to the riding areas and/or usually only travel with one other guy then a sled deck is nice. Nothing beats them for early/late season access either instead of riding your sled up km's of gravel you're just driving your pickup with tons of traction over the rear axle (and front if you have a diesel). A trailer is really nice if you live a long way from the riding areas, make multiple day trips, or pack a crewcab full of guys and go ride. Trailers are great for thawing out sleds and gear, having a place to work, or a place to hang out in the parking lot.

For me I would want a trailer and a deck if I lived a long way from where I was riding. Toss the deck on for early and late season and the trailer for everything in between.

xp24

Reaction score
would a 08 f250 be ok to run a sled deck. with air bags.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would a 08 f250 be ok to run a sled deck. with air bags.
You should be fine weight wise

I loaded my sled for the first time ever on a deck took 2 tries from the garage floor with about a 7 ft run from the ski's to the ramp first time on a sled In 8 yrs

maxbed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a deck and a 4 place trailer and the deck is all i use. the trailer good for a place that you got a big parking lot or a place like peaks lodge in revelstoke where u can keep your sleds in a compound and ride to the mountain

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the tips guys

2 funny one of my main riding partners has a bitch of a time 2 start 10 feet back nice smooth speed easy and smooth

butters

Reaction score
With all the weight on the truck with a sled deck and two sleds you can pretty much go absolutely anywhere in 2 wheel drive, icy highways, deep snow. I'm never going to pull a trailer after being in vale last year, Clemina parking lots was a obstacle course of guys pulling their enclosed trailer stuck every which way after a huge overnight snowfall. I idled in, parked, unloaded, suited up and was gone before most were parked. Takes a bit of getting used to loading but nothing too scary ( my truck has a 6 inch lift ) Oh and the one ton dodge rides like a cadillac with all the weight!

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like my deck. Its handy to park the truck in town, fuelling up is a breeze and getting to areas when the snow is low in the valleys is obviously easier. With that said I'd love to get a checked out 2 places enclosed with a heater, fuel tank, benches, cabinets etc. I was in one guy's trailer last year and it sold me that a heated enclosed is the way to go. To have everything warm, dry and well lit instead of frozen and dirty is better in my mind, no one legged pirate hop getting geared up either. Plus if you have to wrench on your sled its nice to not have everything freezing your hands and brittle. But 15k for a trailer like I mentioned is pretty steep. Gotta pay if you wanna play I suppose.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled deck for me. Just makes sense. On an F250 gas truck. With two current mountain sleds, a full tank and our gear for a week, I am a couple hundred pounds below my limit. Granted, that might go up with a ton of ice on the sleds and truck, so I know I'm cutting it close, but have yet to have issues.

Top Bottom