Sled Deck or Enclosed Trailer?

J_E_SUMMIT

RIP, Fallen Sledder
Reaction score
All my riding is local, I never drive much over half an hour to get to the hill. There is 6 main trail heads in my area, plus a whole lot of less common ones. Two are plenty big for 4place enclosed trailer, two are marginal, and the others are either a bloody pain or impossible to even get into/turned around. Also, my sleds rarly get dirty on the deck of the truck.

If I was going long distances, then I might sacrifice some riding areas for the comfort of an enclosed, but there really isn't any bennifit for me.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Enclosed are an issue come spring time. Some chap brought up a one ton dodge with a big enclosed up the morrisey last year. Came in no problem in the morning when the snow was set up, come time to leave, he was buried to the axles. We were the last group out and got him out (with no thank you, but thats beside the point) and got him moving. If we were not there that late, those cats would have had a hefty bill as there was no cell service where he parked.

On the same idea, being the jerk who blocked off a forestry road because you had to drag a big trailer in is not going to win you any friends when people with vehicles that can drive higher show up.

So in summation, when you are getting into parking lots, enclosed is great. Any other time, not so much.

mrhunkin1

Reaction score
I am also in the same predicament. Enclosed bring up lots of hassles, but many benefits. Until that one time when you come down the hill in the pouring rain and are trying to tarp the sleds and change into dry clothes. My last 2 trips have been with enclosed trailers. It was awsome to say the least.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both have good points and bad. I'm moving from a sled deck to an enclosed trailer, but I'm starting to think the ultimate sled hauler would be a 4x4 cube van. Easy to maneuver and stay nice and dry.:d

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year we bought an 18x8.5 foot Cargo Mate enclosed trailer customized to our specs. It has a 25k btu rv style heater, drop down table, wired for 110, 2 sets of florescent lights, 2 dome lights, man door, roof vent, inside spare tire, exterior propane line for a gas grill and we had them run another gas line inside so we could cook with our propane camp stove. Best investment we have made sleddingwise so far. Here's some pics showing the exterior and interior.

Attachments

• 2009 Cargo Mate 18x8.5 003.jpg
    2009 Cargo Mate 18x8.5 003.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 202
  • 2009 Cargo Mate 18x8.5 005.jpg
    2009 Cargo Mate 18x8.5 005.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 2009 Cargo Mate 18x8.5 008.jpg
    2009 Cargo Mate 18x8.5 008.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 203

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We wanted a covered trailer but will wait a couple of years before we pick one up. Our reasons for a covered trailer are:
Cleaner sleds upon arrival
warm sleds
gear storage
but the biggest reason is off season storage. In the summer they are all in a safe, secure, weather proof location (garage on wheels!) that I can move around if needed.

Off season storage of a deck and sleds seems a bit of a headache.

You can also use a trailer for other chit around the homestead.

maxpower

Reaction score
Both have good points and bad. I'm moving from a sled deck to an enclosed trailer, but I'm starting to think the ultimate sled hauler would be a 4x4 cube van. Easy to maneuver and stay nice and dry.:d

Cube van! that would be awesome & hilarious to see rolling into the staging areas

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Searching kijiji now! That's an awesome idea!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
We run both a deck and an enclosed trailer it is the only way to go. A good deck is not really that expensive when compared to a good enclosed trailer. A few times we have parked the trailer, loaded onto the deck and away we go to the staging area if conditions do not allow for getting the trailer in.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Came down from riding one day last winter and this was in the parking lot! Cool, eh!

Great storage, great traction, and think of the possibilities!

Attachments

• 100_2979.jpg
    100_2979.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 135

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a sled deck on the truck and a 2 place trailer,i'm good in tight spots,seen enclosed trailers stuck in different spots,never had the problem yet.it depends on were you ride and how many people,i'm thinking about enclosed trailer but don't know if i want the extra weight ,i'm good up to 4 people and truck isn't bad for 4.generally it's 3 of us going and our set up works good,we tarp the ones on the trailer,don't bother with the ones on the sled deck.to me it all comes down to were you ride and how many people always go.others we ride with have small enclosed and if i went with a enclosed it would be the 8.5,just from what i see with theres

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
nope ferniesnow rides a dew

and that has nothing to doo with the picture or am I just getting a hard time and missed it?

The guy was riding a Cat (not that that is important to this thread) and slung it off the top.

I'm thinking when he is finished it will be a simple sling job back up, tie the sled down, and..... "to the pub James!"

The possibilities are endless and that boom could be sweet in a lot of places.....maybe hanging friggin' thieves......just saying

Top Bottom