Sled deck on 1/2 ton?

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a dam trailer that should be outlawed or atleast get a truck to fit the deck
Might not be perfect but pictures from such an angle also make it look worse than it actually is.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy sold his F350 and went with a new Platinum 1/2 ton with the heavy duty payload and hauls 2 sled on his deck and went to Sicamous with it and had no issues. Got weighed at a scale and he was under with all his gear and bags etc...

After owning 6 F350's I can give a good honest opinion of hauling two sleds on a deck with a diesel F350 vs an Ecoboost F150 C/C. I have an aluminum 8' Marathon and 2 163's an Axys and a Pro). After selling my fifth wheel I only needed an F150 except a few days that an F350 would be better suited for the task. I had airbags installed on my F150 to keep the truck level and the lights aimed properly. I can tell no difference in driving/steering/stopping/power or any other aspect of carrying 2 sleds down the road. Now I never haul a trailer so that would be a different story. But with the airbags helping out (which I also needed in my F350's) to keep everything nice and level. There is zero difference in driveability. I know; I had the same mindset for 15 years; I scoffed any time I saw two sleds on a deck on anything less than a 1 ton. Even trashed those guys to my wife as we went by. Now I'm one of those guys.....and I like it. Trucks have evolved; sleds and decks have gotten lighter...it just happens. Old school thinking was that a 1 ton diesel was the only option to haul two sleds on a deck. It isn't that way anymore. The way some people drive heading sledding will always cause way more accidents; than what we all choose to drive individually.

Last edited:

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After owning 6 F350's I can give a good honest opinion of hauling two sleds on a deck with a diesel F350 vs an Ecoboost F150 C/C. I have an aluminum 8' Marathon and 2 163's an Axys and a Pro). After selling my fifth wheel I only needed an F150 except a few days that an F350 would be better suited for the task. I had airbags installed on my F150 to keep the truck level and the lights aimed properly. I can tell no difference in driving/steering/stopping/power or any other aspect of carrying 2 sleds down the road. Now I never haul a trailer so that would be a different story. But with the airbags helping out (which I also needed in my F350's) to keep everything nice and level. There is zero difference in driveability. I know; I had the same mindset for 15 years; I scoffed any time I saw two sleds on a deck on anything less than a 1 ton. Even trashed those guys to my wife as we went by. Now I'm one of those guys.....and I like it. Trucks have evolved; sleds and decks have gotten lighter...it just happens. Old school thinking was that a 1 ton diesel was the only option to haul two sleds on a deck. It isn't that way anymore. The way some people drive heading sledding will always cause way more accidents; than what we all choose to drive individually.

Out of curiosity, and in no way trying to start anything, how is your truck equipped? 6.5' box with max payload package? I think most configurations of the new F150 will handle two sleds on a deck, especially light sleds and a light deck. Is that a Truckboss deck you have, or the older Marathon? There's some days that I wouldn't mind downsizing to a halfton truck, but there's still many days I need the one ton for reasons other than the sled deck.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a 6.5' box and isn't the max payload package, I knew I would need air bags since I needed them to keep my F350's level as well. My deck is the older Marathon with slides (350lbs is the weight on the sticker). My truck is honestly totally empty all the time other than when I make a couple trips with it a year sledding. Even then sometimes I only end up with one sled on my deck. I would have had no problem buying another F350 diesel if it wasn't going to be driven around empty 98% of the time.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a 6.5' box and isn't the max payload package, I knew I would need air bags since I needed them to keep my F350's level as well. My deck is the older Marathon with slides (350lbs is the weight on the sticker). My truck is honestly totally empty all the time other than when I make a couple trips with it a year sledding. Even then sometimes I only end up with one sled on my deck. I would have had no problem buying another F350 diesel if it wasn't going to be driven around empty 98% of the time.
That much weight will make any truck squat. I run bags on my Ram 3500 as well. According to the scale I'm right around 2100lbs in the box with two sleds ready to ride, Truckboss + extension + ramp, a few cans of fuel, two bags of gear, Smartboxx bed slide, and tools. My truck squats a good inch and a half all loaded up. The bags make the ride much more comfortable, and keeps the headlights pointing on the road.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That much weight will make any truck squat. I run bags on my Ram 3500 as well. According to the scale I'm right around 2100lbs in the box with two sleds ready to ride, Truckboss + extension + ramp, a few cans of fuel, two bags of gear, Smartboxx bed slide, and tools. My truck squats a good inch and a half all loaded up. The bags make the ride much more comfortable, and keeps the headlights pointing on the road.

I did like that aspect of having my F350's; carrying 4-6 jerry cans of fuel along with me. Now I carry nothing at all under my deck

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It all comes down to staying within the rated payload of the truck. 1/2 tons were not up to the task until recently (the last model year or two). Still silly to put an 11 foot sled on a 5 1/2 box with a 7 foot deck and no extension whether on a capable half ton or larger 3/4 or 1 ton IMO.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a 1/2 with 2 sleds and a 1000 lbs of extra gear,,, what could go wrong. Ha

We use to move 14'x78' long mobile homes at night time with a Ford or Chev 1/2 ton across the province on gravel road. LOL

1 home had all the crap in it piled up front with a grand piano. Ha.
So we hooked up,,, jacked the @zz end of the truck up and rammed some chunks of green poplar between the springs and frame.

That house travelled 100+ miles to its new landing.

We've hauled thousands of loads over the years all across Canada, USA, Alaska with out a problem,,, the lose nut behind the wheel makes it happen.

We could waist our life time doing the math, adding up the numbers analysising all the info,,, running charts, graphs, lines, circles, triangles, squares and many other shapes... Ha

If we took all this information gathered,,, could we hual it in a 1/2 ton,,, absolutely we could.

Cross threaded and sideways,,, that's where life begins and ends isn't it. Ha

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rep!!!!

It's a 1/2 with 2 sleds and a 1000 lbs of extra gear,,, what could go wrong. Ha

We use to move 14'x78' long mobile homes at night time with a Ford or Chev 1/2 ton across the province on gravel road. LOL

1 home had all the crap in it piled up front with a grand piano. Ha.
So we hooked up,,, jacked the @zz end of the truck up and rammed some chunks of green poplar between the springs and frame.

That house travelled 100+ miles to its new landing.

We've hauled thousands of loads over the years all across Canada, USA, Alaska with out a problem,,, the lose nut behind the wheel makes it happen.

We could waist our life time doing the math, adding up the numbers analysising all the info,,, running charts, graphs, lines, circles, triangles, squares and many other shapes... Ha

If we took all this information gathered,,, could we hual it in a 1/2 ton,,, absolutely we could.

Cross threaded and sideways,,, that's where life begins and ends isn't it. Ha

Top Bottom