Sled deck on 1/2 ton?

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My question after buying and then selling a 2015 1500 Chevy is, why would anyone buy a half ton anyway? My diesel one ton gets same or better mileage, same insurance$ , same tires $, same maintenance costs.... biggest difference is about 10-15g at the time of purchase which IMO is the cost of actually being able to tow and haul things safely and legally, what do I know?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My question after buying and then selling a 2015 1500 Chevy is, why would anyone buy a half ton anyway? My diesel one ton gets same or better mileage, same insurance$ , same tires $, same maintenance costs.... biggest difference is about 10-15g at the time of purchase which IMO is the cost of actually being able to tow and haul things safely and legally, what do I know?
Well one thing with the new ones Joel, is a gas pot wouldn't have left ya stranded with piss jug hose issues

Mind you you gas pot you had that injector mess up, this new truck emissions shat makes them all suck

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
same maintenance cost? where are you getting diesel oil changes for same as a gasser? I don't miss jugs of DEF. Had my dodge def pump fail too. But, i'll say the same...what do i know. :p

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$10-15k? more like $30k and that buys a nice car for the wife so two vehicles for the price of one.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
same maintenance cost? where are you getting diesel oil changes for same as a gasser? I don't miss jugs of DEF. Had my dodge def pump fail too. But, i'll say the same...what do i know. :p
It is only 5 extra litres of oil on a duramax vs a 1/2 ton, so $15? Pretty sure we can say it's the same cost. Yes, DEF is extra, but come on, its $25/oil change. I don't think those $$ would say the extra high cost of maintenance is not worth driving a diesel.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$10-15k? more like $30k and that buys a nice car for the wife so two vehicles for the price of one.
It is $18g more for a chev 3500 diesel vs 1500, all options similar. You also recover a substantial amount of that back on resale. Especially if you drive it for 200k. A gasser isn't worth much, but a diesel will still get a good dollar.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is only 5 extra litres of oil on a duramax vs a 1/2 ton, so $15? Pretty sure we can say it's the same cost. Yes, DEF is extra, but come on, its $25/oil change. I don't think those $$ would say the extra high cost of maintenance is not worth driving a diesel.

$15 for an extra 5L of oil? It's more like $50 for me plus about $50 of DEF between oil changes. Then there's the DEF heater at $600 a pop (I've gone through two). I think it costs over $300 to have the DPF cleaned, $300+ to replace the fuel filter, $4000 for injectors. God help you if you have to replace a head gasket at $8K to 10K a pop.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$15 for an extra 5L of oil? It's more like $50 for me plus about $50 of DEF between oil changes. Then there's the DEF heater at $600 a pop (I've gone through two). I think it costs over $300 to have the DPF cleaned, $300+ to replace the fuel filter, $4000 for injectors. God help you if you have to replace a head gasket at $8K to 10K a pop.
You need a better mechanic. $300+ for a fuel filter? Why the heck would you need to replace a head gasket? You think they are just popping left and right off warranty?

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think that anyone can debate that it is always nice to have "the right vehicle" for each particular function. No perfect solution for all things exist as far as I have seen. If you use your truck as a daily driver and sometimes haul some stuff around, the new half tons are an attractive option. If you occasionally haul toys, a trailer is a good option and heck, maybe even a deck but that would put you close to max GVW even on most new ones and over on many of those. I prefer not to push things to their maximum as that is always when stuff goes wrong...well more frequently anyway.

I have my one ton primarily for towing and very occasionally use it for light hauling. Sure doesn't have the smooth ride of newer half tons. I have three other vehicles to choose from but this approach sure isn't a cheaper way to go never mind having a place to put all that stuff.

I do enjoy those who take up the challenge of seeing what one can do with a half ton though so "load 'em up boys" and don't forget to send your pics :) Just don't be downright dangerous and mind the police (make sure you have your excuses well rehearsed) :d

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need a better mechanic. $300+ for a fuel filter? Why the heck would you need to replace a head gasket? You think they are just popping left and right off warranty?

You are definitely right about needing a better mechanic! I'm sure I paid over $300 for each fuel filter change I've had. I think it is because they have to take off mud flaps and fender flares to get the wheel well liner out. I don't necessarily think that the head gaskets pop left and right, but I do imagine they are something you need to start keeping an eye on after 200K. I've been slowly loosing small amounts of coolant and my exhaust smells strange, so I've been obsessing about the cost of possibly having to change my head gasket at only 175K.

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

haha where you getting 5 ltrs of oil for 15$ i must be getting raped.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha where you getting 5 ltrs of oil for 15$ i must be getting raped.
Ya, I may have been aggressive on that pricing for most, but I get Rotella 15/40w on sale at Canadian tire @ $64.99 for 18.9L. Which is $3.43/L. You can get bulk 15w40 all day long at $3 or less.

Fuel filters are $60. It takes an hour of labour to do it. I prefer to do it myself. A garage obviously charges a grossly high amount to change it.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pay $2.50 L for duron 15/40 on the farm. Rock auto you can get ac delco filters for $10-12 I tossed the stock $60+ fuel filter option. Put the cat adapter on and run $20 filters with better filtration. Couple changes will pay for the adapter housing. Def can be had on sale for $11/ 10L at peavey or if you know a farmer buying totes of the crap .50L
FYI most of the new gm gas jobs take 8L of oil so it’s a crap shoot on cost
My dealer gave 4 free oil changes with new vehicles and they went to bat with gm for synthetic no charge as manual calls for it in cold climate.
First time my emissions leaves me stranded... she gone buh bye and hello 450hp tune

Don’t think it’s cheaper having a diesel but the 2500 chassis and torque sure is nice towing the 4 place to BC or wherever and 28’ fifth wheel. I had a 6.2 gm. Worked good but not same class as the bigger truck

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any joe can get 25% off year old trucks on the lot. Takes a 90k truck down to not a bunch more than the useless half ton I used to drive.
Same discount or better applies to the halfers as well. If you compare full load halfer to base model 3500 (or gasser) it may be closer to $15k but apples to apples I don't see it.

Halon60

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For me.. the perfect truck for my needs would be a Heavy Duty Gasser. I need the higher payload but not the diesel. After owning a diesel I said I would NEVER buy one again unless it’s getting paid. I picked up my F150 for under $50,000. Hauls my sled just fine. Rides nice and I get 850 Kms out of tank of gas. That being said I have been hauling 2 sleds more often then not and a 2500 or 250 with a gas engine would be good.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a pre-emissions Dmax and loved it, but I started having to drive way more for work so I sold it to the old man and bought a new gas half ton. I'd love to go back to a diesel 3/4 ton, but I don't think it's worth it when a lot of days, it gets started, driven 5 minutes to my office, 5 mins again each way at lunch and once more at the day. It isn't good not getting it to temp. Figured out my towing miles and last year I had a trailer hooked on just under 10% of the time. I priced a 2500 Ram with the 6.4 gas, and the worst part was I could get the Cummins for just under a grand more when they had the no charge diesel option. I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Top Bottom