Sled deck on 1/2 ton?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya well being a mechanic I have seen the axle bent, ect, ect, ect from overloaded half tons, and no matter what, a semi floating diff is not meant for the kind of Wright u or the manufacturer thinks

Otherwise, why is there not a 3-5-plus ton truck with a semi floating style diff??

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me also.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why does this come up every sled season? And why does someone always get offended when this 1/2 ton and Deck issue come about?

I'm not offended, just trying to say hey its a half ton with a bearing in the tube diff, don't care what christ himself posts on a door of a f150, it's still can only carry so much

Compared to a full floating diff

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not offended, just trying to say hey its a half ton with a bearing in the tube diff, don't care what christ himself posts on a door of a f150, it's still can only carry so much

Compared to a full floating diff

Ok then, in your opinion...how much weight can the front and rear axles of a half ton carry individually?

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
91b597f32ce01cd641c75b61a527e0ea.jpg

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok then, in your opinion...how much weight can the front and rear axles of a half ton carry individually?
Front well the ball joints tierods and knuckle are not as big as a 2500hd and up.... Only thing that is as big is the brakes

Rear well like I've said, a bearing ( which is only 1.5 to 2 inchs and mounted on the very outside on the tube) in a tube and axle rides only on a flat roller bearing can only handle so much, same as the c clip that holds that axle in the diff and too much weight with side loads trying to pull axle out

I have a half ton diff at work that's bent the tubes soooo bad from overloaded that the axles ate the spiders they ride in and diff assembly

Where a full floating diff has two bearings preloaded, riding on the hole outer nose of the diff tube for at least 6-8 inchs, with a axle that bolts to the hub assembly and free rides in the tube into the side gears

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Front well the ball joints tierods and knuckle are not as big as a 2500hd and up.... Only thing that is as big is the brakes

Rear well like I've said, a bearing ( which is only 1.5 to 2 inchs and mounted on the very outside on the tube) in a tube and axle rides only on a flat roller bearing can only handle so much, same as the c clip that holds that axle in the diff and too much weight with side loads trying to pull axle out

I have a half ton diff at work that's bent the tubes soooo bad from overloaded that the axles ate the spiders they ride in and diff assembly

Where a full floating diff has two bearings preloaded, riding on the hole outer nose of the diff tube for at least 6-8 inchs, with a axle that bolts to the hub assembly and free rides in the tube into the side gears

You gave a description of the differences between semi and full floating.

I wanted to know what GAWR you would assign to the front and rear axles of a typical 1/2 ton...you know, like if you were an engineer at a truck manufacturer.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Uh oh. Going to need this now.

View attachment 190438
Pretty sure Thats the last feeling I have pulling hills at Hwy speeds loaded with 4 sleds in 30 footer. I'm sure you'll be filling that report out once getting stopped by DOT and wrecking the start to a good weekend riding. Two place trailers can be picked up for the same price as a quality deck. Don't be a hazard to yourself or others on the road.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure Thats the last feeling I have pulling hills at Hwy speeds loaded with 4 sleds in 30 footer. I'm sure you'll be filling that report out once getting stopped by DOT and wrecking the start to a good weekend riding. Two place trailers can be picked up for the same price as a quality deck. Don't be a hazard to yourself or others on the road.

Wow - Not directed at you my friend. I don't disagree with you, nor would I put 2 sleds + deck + gear on a 1/2 ton.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You gave a description of the differences between semi and full floating.

I wanted to know what GAWR you would assign to the front and rear axles of a typical 1/2 ton...you know, like if you were an engineer at a truck manufacturer.
this is from too much weight

Might not be able to see it fully from pic as it's in the metal bin, but if it's out they are bent up both sides over 2 inchs

This from experience not a engineering dough head that builds it and don't care after

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow - Not directed at you my friend. I don't disagree with you, nor would I put 2 sleds + deck + gear on a 1/2 ton.
Everyone says you can put a deck, 2 sleds, 2 guys and all the gear you can fit plus extra gas under the deck in a half ton. Is the Internet wrong?

Top Bottom