Sled deck on 1/2 ton?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What may be interesting is how much better a long box hauls down the road!!
a dually long box is what we haul with and I don't worry about parking cuz its hauled across the USA just like it was built for

Maybe, I dont use sway control and it tows pretty nice with the short box.

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How wide are you?? Sleds sideways going both directions?

I put them both out on the passengers side, with the angle of the track going up it reduces the width over just sitting flat to.
While i have never measured it, probably about 9 feet wide or so the truck. Most of the weight is down on the box floor. I push the running boards together with just a piece of old inner tube cut off between them, tie the back sled to the front of the box, and the front sled to the back of the box so they don't slide back and forth. Then i have an old pillow i put between the A arms in the front, tie the two sleds together at the front, and then tie them down to the rings that are down low in the box so they cannot slide back, forward, or bounce up. I use five tie downs total, and once you do it a couple of times it is fast and easy.
Yes it is an 8 foot box, so just close the tailgate and done. I wouldn't try it with those tiny boxes on some trucks no larger than a car trunk.

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Truthfully, I really have not had the use for a long box yet.

Me either, my shortie hauls my sled and my quad no problem.

If I worked construction or something like that where I needed every inch I could get I might consider a land yacht but for me. My short box serves me just fine. To suggest it's not a real truck cause of the shortie is absurd. That's like suggesting a long box is useless cause you can just buy an International CXT. Buy whatever works for you be it a mini truck or a semi or anything in between.

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To 10.5 wide just an annual permit and an orange flag tied to the side. My low beds are 10.5 wide here in BC without a load on them.
I own semi trucks and equipment, have a class 1 and air, haul over sized and over weight all the time.
I pulled into the scales one day on purpose and asked about my sleds when I had them in the truck. 3 guys looked and said tied down well, orange flag, good enough...and off we went.
My God some of you worry a lot about nothing.
What happens when you get your sled stuck if you worry about everything.
Do you sit and cry over it getting stuck or what???

Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
da87ca52a198019c006a60fb46b392b7.jpg
c6b9643b4c1c3676ec99a314f659a045.jpg
e0d4b80027e558399dcc71e5fe8ebb36.jpg
03458fba35a150c4104e8d76573ff44c.jpg

Top Bottom