Sled Deck Build.

mxracer328

Reaction score
well i sold my deck last night and decided to build another one, one that ill keep for good. or atleast a while. looking for ideas on what guys would do differently.

things ive decided on:

all aluminum
superclamps - bought them last night
beaver tail with removable center piece
6ft - 9ft telescoping ramp
LED side and box lighting

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the top half of your deck should be made in DURADECK not plywood or aluminum duradeck is what my top sheet has from full lotus and is simply amazing

Toxic Fingers

Reaction score
You want the ramp as long as possible. Most good Deck Mfg are 11 or 12 ft. With A 6 Ft Ramp the Skis on a Sled would have to be already sitting on the Deck before the Track would even hit the Ramp. You would need a 50 mph run to get up there. Actualy with that sharp of a Ramp angle you would most likely push the Ramp off the Deck and have it back flip and Hit you while you Crash in to the rear bumper. Take a 2X4 cut it to length and lay it up there to see what the angle would be like. Now take another 2X4 and nail 2 together to make 11Ft. Which is getting to be the Normal Sled Length these days and see how much air gap is between the two. You would be suprised.

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where can you buy duradeck, I want to redo the deck of my marathon. If anyone knows where in the edmonton area I can get duradeck please let me know.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure home hardware or home depot will be able to get it for you! and yeah it really is worth the extra $$$ this stuff takes some serious abuse and has no marks at all in it even w/dual carbide simmons ski's

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
the top half of your deck should be made in DURADECK not plywood or aluminum duradeck is what my top sheet has from full lotus and is simply amazing

Jared, I dont want to sound like a jackazz, but its not called Duradeck...

Duradek is the vinyl covering you put over wood decks on your house, although a great product, it wouldnt be good on your sled deck. I know what you are talking about and I cannot find its name, but maybe check in with your bud at Full Lotus for what it is...and where you can get it, Home Depot will not have it Im quite sure...

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks longhorn Im trying to remeber what it exactly is but it's like a duradek product I'll talk to jeff and find out

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my bad for getting people all excited it is a specially pressed composite made for full lotus so only way to get it is buy there deck or look at a full lotus and try and crack the secret sorry guys my bad for the misinformation

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
my bad for getting people all excited it is a specially pressed composite made for full lotus so only way to get it is buy there deck or look at a full lotus and try and crack the secret sorry guys my bad for the misinformation

A lot of the trailer companies are also using it on their sled and cargo trailers. I just looked at a year old Atlas with this floor and amazed...

Trailer guys may? have access to it as well...maybe

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup definately check with the trailer guys to see if they can hook you up I'm sure they could they must know of what kind of material is the best but yes this full lotus deck material is fantastic

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a plastic composite ply sheet material, When I was at Full Lotus I talked with Jeff about it as well, and I believe its a custom made product by some maufacturer for them. Their are other products out there but their all expensive, when I was buying my marathon I mentioned this deck to vaughn and he said it warps and bows in +30 temps, havent seen that happen but I can say that my marathon deck looks like crap now due to the warping. I'm powdercoating my entire deck this summer and will be looking for this type of decking material instead of plywood.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah marathon and bulldog decks both told me that same story i have yet to have an issue with bowing on my deck great product yes pricey but hey you dont need to replace it every year or so thanks for the help on the material :beer:

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well do you think full lotus could maybe make up a composite deck kit for us poor marathon owners. If so I would drive to their shop from edmonton and get my deck redone.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont quote me on this but I believe Jeff at Full Lotus said they can use that decking material because their decks have more support stringers because that composite decking doesnt have strength over a span but because their deck has the stringers its supported, the marathon deck only has one or two stringers across so they use the plywood which has more structural integrity. I will be adding stringers to my marathon if I go the composite route.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup you are exactly rite full lotus you can take the deck material off and still be able to drive a sled or quad on there were as marathon you can not do this. if you add this material you need new and more stringers but is well worth it

BowDriks

Reaction score
well i sold my deck last night and decided to build another one, one that ill keep for good. or atleast a while. looking for ideas on what guys would do differently.

things ive decided on:

all aluminum
superclamps - bought them last night
beaver tail with removable center piece
6ft - 9ft telescoping ramp
LED side and box lighting
A good product to use on your deck top for protections, provides you with loading control, and gives you a safe area to walk on, is SuperGlides, from the makers of SuperClamp. Look them up on the www.Superclamp.net and there are pictures in the Gallery of the glides being used in different applications and decks. Many of the truck deck manufacutures all use the Superglides on their ramps and on top of their decks. If your building a deck to give you great performance and gives you a cool look with safety in mind, the Superclamp family of products will help you get there.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
just an idea on deck material.......buy paper face form ply, it has a wax sealed face that is smooth and extremely durable, i have a trailer sheeted in it that has already made it 2-3 years with 0 damage and bogger can vouch for that.
i believe it is close to $100 a sheet but is worth it...dont mistake it for regular form ply though, regular form ply is durable but doesnt have the smooth finish of paper face. northlands construction supplies carries it at the best price

Top Bottom