Skunk control

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright, this may be a stupid question.
We spotted a skunk in out yard yesterday. Set a trap and caught it.
I'm out and about for the day. I get a text from my wife. Skunks in the trap, now what.

That's a good question. Is there a number to call to collect the thing and relocate? Or should I just take it a few towns over and somehow let it out?

When I Google animal control all searches came up in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. We are in Sturgeon County Alberta.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best way is euthanasia as they reproduce quickly. Sorry to say! There are a few humane options where the do not spray. Settlers to these parts erraticed them. As people no longer treat them as a pest they are becoming more prevalen.

Reactions: RXN

mikeydoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put the trap in a large trash bag. insert small opening onto exhaust pipe of truck or quad. start engine wait ten min. Presto problem solved. Or try the release technique, make sure you stop at ufa and buy a gallon of peroxide and some baking soda to wash yourself off after if you go that way. lol ask me how i know about option 2.

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
20200403_214233.jpg

Problem solved

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cover the trap with a blanket or towel and gently walk them to a pond and let them drown overnight. If they wont tolerate being moved, .22 works but that area will stink for a while.

I had a family of 5 living under my shed, wasnt fun. They love dry cat food.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If this is going to be a persistent issue, get a poly trap. All plastic with a stainless gate. It has a 1” hole at the back to help euthanize. No muss no fuss.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of my neighbors came and got it before I got home. Not sure if he just relocated it or terminated it.
Told him I didn't really care what he did as long as he didn't re-release it in or near the subdivision.

Otherwise I think I would have gone with d8grandpa's suggestion. Lol.

Wife reset the trap. See if anything else crawled in this evening

Resized_20220624_110430_5286.jpeg

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like skunks. I have a few kicking around, they dont bother me. I dont bother them.

My dog used to get sprayed once in a while, but I dont have a dog anymore, and the skunks are lower maintenance....

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we catch them the blanket over the trap works great.
I let them go in field at the end of the farm and the head for the bush.....then the 12 gauge with BBB works great.

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright, this may be a stupid question.
We spotted a skunk in out yard yesterday. Set a trap and caught it.
I'm out and about for the day. I get a text from my wife. Skunks in the trap, now what.

That's a good question. Is there a number to call to collect the thing and relocate? Or should I just take it a few towns over and somehow let it out?

When I Google animal control all searches came up in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. We are in Sturgeon County Alberta.
Swimming lessons

Travco28

Reaction score
Put some heavy duty antifreeze in an egg . 1 oz or so will do . Put it where the skunks frequent and they will self destruct. Even better if you can get your hands on Gopher poison it works realy well .

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Swimming lessons
Drowned a skunk in dugout once.
Was like an oil slick came to the surface when it sprayed under water.
Milk cows would not drink water, had to walk a half mile to next water hole for about three weeks.
Pops was not impressed, Last time for that experiment.

As a kid over the years probably easily trapped 40 plus skunks from yard.
No matter how you do them in they give a dying squirt, beware.
Although I have never gassed them.
Getting sprayed not horrid, went through that several times, dam leg hold traps hard to open reaching in with hockey stick. If they plant all 4 legs and squat a bit, step aside......fast.
Skunks are bad for rabbies and like the taste of chickens, crazy childhood farm memories.......lol

Last edited:

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife just messaged me. She caught another skunk today.
Sound like she took it swimming. It didn't swim so well. Lol.

Wonder how many more well catch. As these are baby skunks.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I've actually had really good luck with throwing a blanket over the trap and then rehoming them. Would love to euthanize the stinky bastages but I've heard they spray when shot. Now if I could just persuade the foxes to walk in the trap.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They don’t spray if gassed. But need a different trap for that.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've actually had really good luck with throwing a blanket over the trap and then rehoming them. Would love to euthanize the stinky bastages but I've heard they spray when shot. Now if I could just persuade the foxes to walk in the trap.
How are they for spraying when they exit the trap? That's my fear, re-homing the poor thing to get sprayed as soon as it leaves the trap.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard you get rid of a Fox you will be inandated with mice.

Top Bottom