skinny or fat

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what are your thoughts on skinny mud tires verses fat mud tires. saw a canam with 9inch wide tires front and rear.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
what are your thoughts on skinny mud tires verses fat mud tires. saw a canam with 9inch wide tires front and rear.

depends on the terrain... lbs per square inch my friend.. if there is a bottom the more the better... no bottom floating is good...

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Generally most go with a skinny-wide combo. 9's in the front for easy steering and 12's in the back for more grip.

In Alberta there is more muskeg than anything so skinnies just sink and get you stick. Wides float and keep you on top. Thats just what I've noticed.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a reason they made crushlocks for mud racing :)

Yep, skinnier, less air. Keeps the front down in all the soup.

I got two holes at my place that are the same type of riding, deep and soupy. Small island in the middle (under water this year from all the snow!!) Mud circuit anyone? Bottom is deep in places so its a surprise every time. :d

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Yep, skinnier, less air. Keeps the front down in all the soup.

I got two holes at my place that are the same type of riding, deep and soupy. Small island in the middle (under water this year from all the snow!!) Mud circuit anyone? Bottom is deep in places so its a surprise every time. :d

who's your dealer and can you introduce me?????

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
who's your dealer and can you introduce me?????

I'm not with any dealer, I've bought from Cycleworks but service is made of a bunch of clowns.

Now, I go to RapidRevolutions and I'd like to see what GetTorqued is offering.

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
depending on the machine, going that wide, turning radius is sacrificed, because the wheels rub. The bigger tire also puts more strain on the steering parts, which brake axles. It really comes down to what kind of terrain you drive for the most part, but I feel skinner tire on the front for turning and wider on the back for traction and when you go through deep water the front comes up and the skinny tires steer better in the water. And in the slick greasy mud the skinny tire with good aggressive tread, steers better, they don't float on top, just my my thoughts

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
12s all the way around for the muskeg. Skinnys for the stuff with bottom. I have 12 wife 29.5 outlaws on my outlander and 10 wife 29.5 ouitlaws on my kingquad for the old lady that way I can rotate them.

Top Bottom