skinnier front tires or same size all around??

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at some 28" Blackwater evolution tires. Problem is they come in 28x9r14, 28x10r14 and 28x11r14. Not sure if i should put the 9's on the front and the 11's on the back or run 10's on all four corners. Looking for opions?

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What machine are you putting these on? Of all the machines I have owned I have run skinny front, wide back. Mudlites, Mudbugs, Zillas, Outlaws, I either used stock rims, or similar aftermarket rims.

I also think I read somewhere the BE tires don't have very good wear characteristics.

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2013 Brute Force 750. seems like quite a few guys on other forums are running same size tires all around. Makes sense considering most other powersteering vehicles run the same size tires front and back.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I put 27-9's on all 4 of my 08 Cat H1

I had swamp lites, and would do it again in a heart beat.....

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda leaning towards 28x10r14 all the way around.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put 27-9's on all 4 of my 08 Cat H1

I had swamp lites, and would do it again in a heart beat.....

So the front tires will be 1in wider than the back because of the rim offset

2013 Brute Force 750. seems like quite a few guys on other forums are running same size tires all around. Makes sense considering most other powersteering vehicles run the same size tires front and back.

HUH,.. I have had a few atv's with PS and none had same size front to back, usually 8" front and 10" rear.

Last edited:

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was refering to a truck or a car. I was under the impression that atvs like a grizzly or brute force had the same offset and width on all four?

Last edited:

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
offset on my brute force would be the same with 5+2 wheels and 28x10r14 tires. same width front and back.

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My tatou tracks that i have on right now are the same width front and back and i just measured the hub to end of wheel stud is the same?

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
What machine are you putting these on? Of all the machines I have owned I have run skinny front, wide back. Mudlites, Mudbugs, Zillas, Outlaws, I either used stock rims, or similar aftermarket rims.

I also think I read somewhere the BE tires don't have very good wear characteristics.

AWTY... Do you have a preference out of the tires you have listed there? Was kinda thinkin about mud bugs but not sure yet. I only get out in the "mud" once or twice a year. More concerned about snow traction, as I use a blade to push snow on my property.

To the OP, don't mean to derail your thread at all, just wanted to ask him, as he seems to have experience with a good selection of tires.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would rum same size on all 4 wheels

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AWTY... Do you have a preference out of the tires you have listed there? Was kinda thinkin about mud bugs but not sure yet. I only get out in the "mud" once or twice a year. More concerned about snow traction, as I use a blade to push snow on my property.

To the OP, don't mean to derail your thread at all, just wanted to ask him, as he seems to have experience with a good selection of tires.

Mud bugs suck suck on a side hill.

Run stock tires studded for snow plowing.

Then rims and summer tires. IMO

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same size all around. Run Big Horn #2 27x11 front and back on my Outlander Max Ltd.
Stock wheels with 1/2 inch spacers.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run 30-10-14 monster mahems front/ rear, seems to work ok, although the ranger is rear heavy, i'm thinking wide rears may work better, spread the weight over more area. Will have to be different tires though as they don't make 12 wide

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you do most of your riding in BC, I'd suggest keeping the front skinnier than the rear because you'll have to buy front rims that match the width of your rear rims (or four identical width rims). If you ever decided you wanted to go back to skinnier fronts you'd have to also go back to skinnier rims in the front. In Alberta (and more so in Sask.) it might be more worth your while to go wide all around just for better floatation in the skeg.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sent you a pm

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lot's of guy going S/S,.. I'm a firm believer in running S/W for the reason being in mud you have sidewall help, and the wider stance to push you through,.. running S/S you are just trenching the rears tires in the front tracks. Also imo wides in the rear help with floatation/weight/ride.

But to each his own, there is a reason we have choices and options,.. so we don't have to like everyone else, just enjoy your ride :thumb:

Top Bottom