Skiers/Boarders looking to close area in Togwotee Pass, Wyoming

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even though most people on this site are Canadian, this affects all sledders. Please send comments and complaints to shoshone national forest management plan, Carrie Christman at 808 Meadow Lane, Cody, WY 82414 or cchristman@fs.fed.us.

When I first got into this sport I didn't understand the dislike a lot of sledders had for skiers and boarders but it's things like this that cause the rift in between the sports. We share a love for the back country, why can't we share the terrain too...

Wyoming skiers, snowmobilers debate over one square mile

Last edited:

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I first got into this sport I didn't understand the hatred a lot of sledders had for hippie and greenie skiers and boarders but it's things like this that cause the rift in between the sports. We share a love for the back country, why can't we share the terrain too...
Fixed that for you

It's also oversimplification that causes and continues the rift between sports. (maybe I'm oversimplifying, but the small group of sledders that are dedicated anti-skier are morons and the small group of backcountry skiers that are dedicated anti-sled are morons)

I've been skiing/snowboarding/sledding for years and most days that I'm out sledding I'll have a snowboard with me, whether I ride it or not that day. There's a lot of parks where there's no sledding and great ski-touring to be had. One problem is that there are more and more sledders and backcountry skiers/boarders every year. I've only been sledding for 7 or 8 years, but what a difference in Golden/Revy on a saturday morning...10 times as many trucks full of sleds as there used to be.

In most cases, problems are brought about by the small but loud tree-hugger segment of the backcountry skiing community. For the most part the hard-core greenies are offended by the very existence of sleds in the backcountry and will do anything they can to protest, sometimes making up facts and numbers as they go (W1ld-sight, etc). Even if their lines aren't tracked, they are offended by the noise of a sled in another valley. Although some can't figure it out, this is the minority, with big whiny mouths. They get lots of support from like-minded people, even if they don't ever use that particular area.

Not saying it's only the hippies' fault, but don't lump all skiers/snowboarders in with that crowd.

Last edited:

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fixed that for you

It's also oversimplification that causes and continues the rift between sports. (maybe I'm oversimplifying)

Hmmm maybe that is the sort of attitude on both sides that is causing this. I ski (a lot) and sled (a lot) and I would be choked if sledders were side hilling above me doing either activity as stated in the article. That being said there should be enough room for everyone out there to get out and enjoy the back country.

Closures are not the answer and it set a terrible precedent.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm maybe that is the sort of attitude on both sides that is causing this. I ski (a lot) and sled (a lot) and I would be choked if sledders were side hilling above me doing either activity as stated in the article. That being said there should be enough room for everyone out there to get out and enjoy the back country.

Closures are not the answer and it set a terrible precedent.

i snowboard and dont sled, i dont have that view towards sledders... it seems these two groups have had issues in the past acting like children. they should ban both groups for a few years, like sitting a couple kids in opposite corners for fighting

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its not the skiers. boarders, hippies or sleders that I hate!!!

ITS the ignorant fawks that say its some skier boarder or sledder's fault is what I hate....

FYI,,, its a group of ignorant idiot's not some hard core skiers !!!!! or same story for the sled heads who think they own the land and no skiers can come,,,,

so instead on the ski forum it goes like this Rowdy....

quote "I can see why all skiers hate snowmobiliers I saw one ride right above me what a moron and they are all morons I hate them all too" end quote

its the same circle so stop saying sledders hate skiers and vice versa,,, its just some newbies thinking they know something.. because none of the sledders I ride with hate skiers period.....

its ignorant skiers and sledders who hate each other,,, ok just to clarify,,,

so maybe write a more positive and pro active approach to helping our sport instead of saying you can see how we hate them,, I dont see how that will help the rift so to speak..

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its not the skiers. boarders, hippies or sleders that I hate!!!

ITS the ignorant fawks that say its some skier boarder or sledder's fault is what I hate....

FYI,,, its a group of ignorant idiot's not some hard core skiers get it!!!!! or same story for the sled heads who think they own the land and no skiers can come,,,,

so instead on the ski forum it goes like this Rowdy....

quote "I can see why all skiers hate snowmobiliers I saw one ride right above me what a moron and they are all morons I hate them all too" end quote

its the same circle so stop saying sledders hate skiers and vice versa,,, its just some newbies thinking they know something.. because none of the sledders I ride with hate skiers period.....

its ignorant skiers and sledders who hate each other,,, ok just to clarify,,,

so maybe write a more positive and pro active approach to helping our sport instead of saying you can see how we hate them,, I dont see how that will help the rift so to speak..

joni t ya need to calm down before you burst a blood vessel, shheeet if tex sees this post, he'll be rockin the keyboard. hehe. he isn't fond of flatboarders

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
joni t ya need to calm down before you burst a blood vessel, shheeet if tex sees this post, he'll be rockin the keyboard. hehe. he isn't fond of flatboarders

bahahha I know but ya hear what I am saying,,, fak I hate everyone lol but lets stop this skier boarder sledder all mountain sport hatred hahahha

p.s. I get bored too ok hahaha 12 hour shift here with 20 minutes to go

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By the way, I don't want any spots closed and I don't want any hotshots sidehilling above me in sketchy terrain, ever. Save the hot-dogging for the parking lot, chief.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i remember 3 years ago coming out of forester in april. driving down the road i spot a "skier" whom was walking down the road, so i decided i would offer a ride. What does this homo do, he decides to spit on my truck before i could stop. Starts spouting on who the hell am i to sled up here, all the name calling, and how trashy i was for the backcountry. OHHHH, did he get a piece of my mind.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bahahha I know but ya hear what I am saying,,, fak I hate everyone lol but lets stop this skier boarder sledder all mountain sport hatred hahahha

p.s. I get bored too ok hahaha 12 hour shift here with 20 minutes to go

If the skiers want it closed to skidooing. Then it has to be closed to skiing too...

Oh imdooin there is a difference here. The skiers are skiers. Not sled-skiers.
I'd say that both groups have been going to the area starting at the same time...so its not fair to shut one or the other off...
Sled skiing on the other hand is a newer fad into a skidooing area..... That's where I see a difference

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify JoHNI_T...I'm just re-iterating what I've heard from other sledders. Hey, I'm a hybrid and I don't get the animosity between the two groups. I can see both sides, yeah some loser sledder side-hilling above a skier is a huge no no, but also closing an area to sledders just because they want it to themselves is a tad bit selfish. I put it on the same par as the caribou closures which are ridiculous. I just don't understand why we can't share the back country that isn't government parks. Isn't there a huge slot of land sledders can't use? So why close more areas to us? That's my point, so don't think of this post any other way.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's getting fawking stupid!!!! Like come on how do these skiers get them selves to were they unload and start hiking oh ya thats right by there vehicle how do sledders get there oh ya thats right by vehicle! they only difference is they strap on two skiis and start walking after that and i fire up a sled and go enjoy the same thing that both of us are out there to get fresh powder and have fun in the mountains!!!! Why cant people learn to realize that the mountains are not theres and they are a public place to enjoy enough with these stupid closures it's getting way to carried away. I think the backcountry guys are a bit pissed because the sledders can access 10x as much area and way quicker than they can. and it really cant be said about some dumbazz sledder sidehilling above a skiier cause hell i've seen retarded skiiers cut a line over sledders or other fellow riders so really there no smarter at avalanche safety than anyone else!

off topic a bit but heli and cat skiiers they also cry and complain about sledders but same thing how do they get back there oh ya but a fuel guzzling pig that flies or drives them around to ski kinda sounds like how sledders are driving around looking for fun! when are the two groups gonna get it we are all out there to do the same thing so why cant we get along out there but if the skiiers are so hardcore about there fresh lines then maybe they better get to the skihill earlier to get that first chair to go ride BRA! and yes i do snowboard and snowmobile but closures are stupid!

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read the article that Rowdy linked to and it sounds like the typical rhetoric given by a strictly non motorized user group. Too noisy, too dangerous to be around the sleds, it's so nice for skiing and the only area we can go that's close, it's only a little bit of a closure etc. Sound familiar? It sure doesn't sound like sharing the area is part of their plan.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe if sledders in the area would voluntarily leave the skiers an area of untouched snow to play in it wouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't imagine that it would be much fun to ski a slope that is all cut up with sled tracks.....And no, I'm not a skier.

Reactions: kjb

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe if sledders in the area would voluntarily leave the skiers an area of untouched snow to play in it wouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't imagine that it would be much fun to ski a slope that is all cut up with sled tracks.....And no, I'm not a skier.

yes but to each his own .... both looking for fresh pow................ ur going to have a conflict .....

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

In certain areas that's a good idea and it already happens some places. People dealing with people can work stuff out. There's always some who don't agree, and there's always some who go track the agreed-upon area by mistake or on purpose.
But it's NOT whining to the government to CLOSE an area completely.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify JoHNI_T...I'm just re-iterating what I've heard from other sledders. Hey, I'm a hybrid and I don't get the animosity between the two groups. I can see both sides, yeah some loser sledder side-hilling above a skier is a huge no no, but also closing an area to sledders just because they want it to themselves is a tad bit selfish. I put it on the same par as the caribou closures which are ridiculous. I just don't understand why we can't share the back country that isn't government parks. Isn't there a huge slot of land sledders can't use? So why close more areas to us? That's my point, so don't think of this post any other way.

cheers Rowdy.... as Imdoo'n pointed out mine was a bit of a rant lol.......

I just dont think the majority of sledders dislike skiers or boarders is what i was thinking. and hey there is a douche bag in every crowd.......

Last edited:

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes but to each his own .... both looking for fresh pow................ ur going to have a conflict .....

see even Tex has come around a bit lol,,,, exactly everyone can have a lil bit.......

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tex is probably just laying a little bait before the kill so to speak hehe. i can definitly see the skiers perspective, sled tracks don't make good skiing, and they are noisey. plus there are a lot of sledders who have no respect for anyone else at all. althogh most S&M'ers seem to repect others and there activities to a point. not talkin about tex though.

Top Bottom