Skidoo xm problem thread..........

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry for a newb question, but being a bigger guy with a XM 163" what will adding heavier spring help out with? I don't really know what the difference will be.

I have noticed a big difference in stability (not as tippy) when I set the rear spring to 5. Should I really be replacing with heavier springs?

If so, which ones should I get?

yammyman

Reaction score
Different spring rates for different weight riders. If you want more rear end sag and a softer ride, but "possibly" more bottoming of the rear track shock (depending on your weight) then a lighter spring is fine but if you want more ride height (better for deep powder) more bottoming resistance and a overall stiffer rear track shock than its better to go to a heavier spring. The front track shock has a spring of its own just like the front shocks. These can all be heavier as well. If you're 220 lb + (with no gear- like me) you'll probably want to change the springs (at very least the rear track shock) as factory springs are rated for average weight riders 170lb ish. I went to the fox evil RC2 front shocks this year. You can adjust spring rates on both front shocks and the front track shock with an air pump instead of changing springs. (It's called an air spring suspension like a tractor trailer would have with a lot of adjustability) for around $1500-$2400 you can change out all your shocks and both of the springs we've been talking about and have a huge range of adjustability and comfort. Fox Shox are what I went with and they are absolutely awesome. If you're not sure if you want to spend that kind of $ but you weigh over 220lbs I would highly recommend changing out the springs we were talking about.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have my front skid spring set about 3/4 of the way tight and the blocks cranked all the way up to super fat guy and I never bottomed out once. I'm probably 260 with all my gear and avy pack on. My REV I used to bottom out constantly so this was a nice change.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you talking the 287 and 289 springs Dan?

Sorry I missed this question.

They are the 477/79 springs. I would have to look but I believe they are a 1.66 rate. Stiff, but more progressive.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

They are the 477/79 springs. I would have to look but I believe they are a 1.66 rate. Stiff, but more progressive.

We have been installing the part number 287-289 springs with no issues yet.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We have been installing the part number 287-289 springs with no issues yet.

Yeah those springs have a longer tail and I will be going with those from now on.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My rear skid squeaks horribly and I have no idea why. I just greases the crap out of it too... any ideas?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with my XM. Snotrax said it is the second best sled this year in the mountains. Guess we didnt have enough recalls.......

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something bent and binding?

I doubt it, i havent done anything to bend it... has me baffled though i'll look again for something bent though

Edit: It squeaks through the whole motion. its quite high pitched as well. Everything is straight as well so I'm stumped. Are the ends of the tension spring supposed to have guides in them? maybe a piece of sand or something got in there. The whole thing moves freely too, not much resistance except what's supposed to be there

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I doubt it, i havent done anything to bend it... has me baffled though i'll look again for something bent though

Maybe it doesn't like climbing on the back half of the track with that TSS turbo spinning it over. Lol.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe it doesn't like climbing on the back half of the track with that TSS turbo spinning it over. Lol.

Haha yeah thats probably half the issue, considering this is how it spends most of its time... ;);) and thats in four feet of fresh LOL

IMG_77161_zps0a8bfed2.jpg

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
30 pages... geesh... frickin' xm's must be junk with 30 pages of problems. And we're barely into the season yet!

Arctic_Ragtop

Reaction score
My skid was squeezing quite a bit as well. Same with the 'other' XM in town... The T-Motion just needed some grease and it went away. Right at the pivot point.

yammyman

Reaction score
well .. wrapped up 2012 with 900 KM on my XM ..

Only real problem is the pain in my face and vocal cords from smiling and laughing too hard

(did break my mountain bar bolt because it came loose and I kept tugging on it .. replaced bolt, all good)

Mine loosened off too! re-loctited... Good to go. ONLY complaint so far. Minor!

Nonhighwayservice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being a rookie to the sport and not really knowing anything much about sleds or sledding, I absolutely love riding my XM. Had no problems with it and have a blast every time I ride it.

Top Bottom