skidoo primary clutch maintenance kit question

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why does the primary clutch maintenace kit sold by skidoo include the spring cup? I wouldn't think the cup is a wear item that would need replacement. Why not just the bushing inside? There must be a reason. Is the bushing ID size finished after installation in the cup?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why does the primary clutch maintenace kit sold by skidoo include the spring cup? I wouldn't think the cup is a wear item that would need replacement. Why not just the bushing inside? There must be a reason. Is the bushing ID size finished after installation in the cup?
the sliding half moves back and forth over the shaft, if you have an imbalance issue at all from worn rollers or pins the bushing wears quickly and amplifies any wobble that may be present. it eats that bushing pretty quick, I've had the bushing and it's casting break away from the spring cup and pretty much destroyed the clutch. I don't think it's an unnecessary item in the kit if that's what you're getting at.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is a very hard bushing to get to stay because of the force on it if it is not installed perfectly and you get spring wear grooving on the inside from the spring loading and unloading all the time during use.

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Figured there must be a reason why they just didnt supply just the bushing. Thanks.

Summitizer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just rebuilt 2 this season. The best thing I could have been doing was replacing the slider shoes every year. I think this was the biggest reason for the wear on all the other parts. The clutches had 5000+ km on them and were very sloppy.

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The spring cap bushing install is tricky and typically comes out. It is a "crush" bushing (might be other terms ?) so the tolerances at install are actually more critical than a solid bushing like in the movable sheave. Also, the time for a dealer to replace the bushing would be more costly for those that have it installed. I install quite a few of these, I'm VERY glad the whole cap is included! :)

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just rebuilt 2 this season. The best thing I could have been doing was replacing the slider shoes every year. I think this was the biggest reason for the wear on all the other parts. The clutches had 5000+ km on them and were very sloppy.

What are the "slider shoes" in the clutch? Is there another name for them?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you tell if they are worn? Too easy to slide out? I seem to mess with my clutching constantly so i know what you are talking about.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you tell if they are worn? Too easy to slide out? I seem to mess with my clutching constantly so i know what you are talking about.

they are cheap .. I replaced mine at 1800 k .. the old ones still looked new but what the heck !

you can see grooves worn in the sliders .. i guess that's a sign that the shoes / buttons are wearing out .. those grooves can be cleaned with a scotch pad

Summitizer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you have 2000km they are worn out and just replace them and the o-rings. or sooner if you want. cheap

Top Bottom