Skidoo 2011 ETEC 800 Check Engine Light

doochuk

Reaction score
Well 11.2 hrs (260kms) on the new Backcounrty X and I go to start up. At fire, the check engine light starts blinking and engine shuts down. Restart and DESS blinks along with check engine light. Try to head towards home......rev limit flashes across display......engine dies. Restart.....Warm-Up now flashes across display....allows me to limp home with a couple backfires and blurps. Get half way home and the thing takes off like nothing is wrong. 20 feet from the driveway, check engine light flashes....sled quits. Take sled to dealer and they hook it up to the computer. It codes out coils and charging system issue. Reset, check over connections and test, and then does not show code. They tell me to "head out to the mountains" ( as that was my intention the morning I take it in) I reply....." will you pay for the chopper lift outta the bowl" Ahhhhh " no sir", they reply. Sled still in dealers shop, and have them scratching thier heads. Suppose to install new computer tomorrow. I am pissed to say the least. Anyone out there have any similar problems?

Doochuk!

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Well 11.2 hrs (260kms) on the new Backcounrty X and I go to start up. At fire, the check engine light starts blinking and engine shuts down. Restart and DESS blinks along with check engine light. Try to head towards home......rev limit flashes across display......engine dies. Restart.....Warm-Up now flashes across display....allows me to limp home with a couple backfires and blurps. Get half way home and the thing takes off like nothing is wrong. 20 feet from the driveway, check engine light flashes....sled quits. Take sled to dealer and they hook it up to the computer. It codes out coils and charging system issue. Reset, check over connections and test, and then does not show code. They tell me to "head out to the mountains" ( as that was my intention the morning I take it in) I reply....." will you pay for the chopper lift outta the bowl" Ahhhhh " no sir", they reply. Sled still in dealers shop, and have them scratching thier heads. Suppose to install new computer tomorrow. I am pissed to say the least. Anyone out there have any similar problems?

Doochuk!

I have heard of this same issue on dootalk....

doochuk

Reaction score
Well after a day and a half of tinkering, the dealer was able to get the check engine light to come on. With that, a 5 amp fuse started burning out. They dig deeper and leads go to the stater or into that area. Pull the stater and find it shorting out. I am relieved to say the least as my confidence was weakening. New one should be in Friday and will be out for the weekend. Hope this helps anyone with similar problems. No riding this Christmas...which really suks, but atleast the problem is solved. No thoughts in the back of the head thinking not if, but when!!! Happy New Year!!!!

doochuk

Reaction score
Thanks for the spelling correction firstly and secondly......what does electric start have to do with it????

Did not post the information to start a debate. Just want to help out with those that may have had similar problems.....especially after spending 15k.

Cheers,

doochuk!

curtis.williamson

Reaction score
I'm still breaking in my freeride and my check engine light comes on periodically for no apparent reason? I shut it off and start it and it stays off.. Not sure why this is. Also, periodically, there was a battery low warning coming on aswell. Nothing affected performance and nothing stayed on permanently.

Maxy

Reaction score
Replace engine light. The Manuel says it's a problem with the EFI don't ride serious engine damage can occur.

FIGMAN

Reaction score
Have you had a nyother issues after they replaced the Stator??? I bought an 09 Ski Doo MXZ X 600 eTec and it went into Limphome Mode and the Check Engine Light was on.... they are replacing my Stator in a couple days as soon as they get the part! $450 for the part and $200+ to replace it and reflash the ECm or whatever else they have to do. A little worried with all the crap I am reading on DOOTalk and now seeing this site... a lot of Check Engine Issues! So did it correct it or not and has it or anything else happened since??? How many miles did it have when it first happened and how many do you have now?
Thanks.

XPQCPT

Reaction score
It is your stator. Im told the stators in the 2011 models are actually previous year stators that they slapped in the etecs, even though they require way more voltage than non etecs. The coatings on the stator can't handle the heat and crack. The fault codes are all over the place because the stator screws up all the voltages in your sled and screws with the ecm. I think Skidoo is crossing their fingers hoping most of the stators make it past the warrnty periods. Thank God mine was still under warranty. Now if they will only pay for the 300 mile tow I incurred back to my truck!

Top Bottom