Skid steer with snow blower

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the driveway gravel or paved? How long is long?

With the steep hill it is best to scrape it right down, if you need to leave the blower up a bit to not be grinding the gravel, you will be leaving a thin layer each time it snows or you will need to scrape it clean after you blow it. If you get a warm day or some rain on the packed base you will have an ice problem.

Your blade or bucket needs to be considerably wider than the machine so you can push the windrow over the edge of the bank with room to spare so you don’t drop the machine off the edge.

For the price of a blower you could likely get both, snow bucket and massive blade. My neighbour has a 14’ blade that he does our subdivision road in 2 passes. It would take me forever to get that done with my 8’ bucket.

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the driveway gravel or paved? How long is long?

With the steep hill it is best to scrape it right down, if you need to leave the blower up a bit to not be grinding the gravel, you will be leaving a thin layer each time it snows or you will need to scrape it clean after you blow it. If you get a warm day or some rain on the packed base you will have an ice problem.

Your blade or bucket needs to be considerably wider than the machine so you can push the windrow over the edge of the bank with room to spare so you don’t drop the machine off the edge.

For the price of a blower you could likely get both, snow bucket and massive blade. My neighbour has a 14’ blade that he does our subdivision road in 2 passes. It would take me forever to get that done with my 8’ bucket.
700-800 feet give or take, gravel. And ya its gotta be scraped down as much as I can. Icing is a problem with temps hovering around the freezing mark quite often. I know a wider blade on skid steer would do a decent job of it but with how much snow we are getting i can't help but wonder if a blower would save me from the huge piles and time pushing sides back. Tire chains are a must, and rules out at tracked skid steer completely

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why don’t you rent a skid steer with a blower and blade for a snow clean up ?
Would give you a personal opinion on what works for you ?
Could always go with a blade first as they are cheaper and then keep your eyes open for a good used blower ?
I had small 4x4 tractor with blower before I went with loader and big blower .
I bought a new blower as wanted high flow and 96inch . The blade I wanted was more then the blower but it had hydraulic wings and such .
Like I said earlier , I have a blade as well but never use it for snow in my yard .
Last pic was today after clean up .

Renting wouldn't be a bad idea, I've never seen anyone in the area with a blower so I assumed the rental places here don't carry them. Pricey item for occasional rental

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Renting wouldn't be a bad idea, I've never seen anyone in the area with a blower so I assumed the rental places here don't carry them. Pricey item for occasional rental
Usually lots of used snowblowers on Kijiji.

I have a blower on a 40 HP diesel Kubota.

Neighbor has a farm king blower on a 135 HP Kubota.

And my svl-75 with the big snow buck will still outperform both.

And we clear big areas to move equipment around.

Snow blowers are cool.
But pushing seems to be way more efficient.

And a blower on a PTO is way better than a hydraulic driven one. Imo

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s all about the horsepower. A skid steer that puts out the same hp as a tractor will do the same work.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have never tried a blower but I used to run a 7’ Conterra hydraulic blade on my S590. Blade worked good for some things but I recently traded it off for an 8’ snow bucket and am much happier that route. I cut time off of doing the yard and end up with a better job, easier on the road and can place the piles wherever I want them. My neighbour runs a big brush on his driveway as he is paved and that sure cleans it up nice.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s all about the horsepower. A skid steer that puts out the same hp as a tractor will do the same work.

Not really, most tractor blowers are pto shaft drive where as the skid steer model will be hydraulic. Probably need a bigger machine with either variable or high flow and would definitely recommend a case drain or the first time you stall it will cost you

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of interesting opinions on different things ? Lol
Some are questionable for sure .

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not really, most tractor blowers are pto shaft drive where as the skid steer model will be hydraulic. Probably need a bigger machine with either variable or high flow and would definitely recommend a case drain or the first time you stall it will cost you

The hydraulics have a horsepower rating based on pressure and flow, so a machine that makes 40hp equivalent in hydraulic power will do the same work as a 40hp pto. And most modern equipment now have crossover relief valves to prevent damage from impacts and stalling.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After a few years of plowing snow with a tracked skid steer. I found the best and fastest was a tilting blade. Never really had to stop i would just keep going with the blade town and and tilt it the other way. With the tracked machine i could make some high piles with that blade.. Could always go back after with the bucket and do a little clean up if needed... Boss bought a huge snow bucket but i found that was not as fast as snow was always dumping around the sides... The most cost effective way was the last 2 years i worked their we bought a old plow truck for cheap... We paid less for the package than the blade was worth so we did not care if the truck died F250 are cheap and easy to find..

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You’ll need hi flow hydraulic system 2500-3500psi. Tires are much better then tracked I’ve found for pushing snow.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They make a tracked machine useable. I ran a cat 289 for a year and it was brutal until I out 250 studs in each track. Proper winter tracks are the best option.

The best winter option is parking mine in my heated garage ;)

The only snow removal mine does is my driveway. Pushing snow is awful money anyway, pushing snow with a CTL is even worse money.

Top Bottom