Skid steer with snow blower

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for pros and cons of snow blower on a skid steer, are they worth the cost? Not looking to clean parking lots with it just personal use, long driveway and yard. Just looking to see if any one has any real world experience them tia

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had blower on Ag tractor 35 years ago Lots of maintenance and need lots of snow. Now use 595 Bobcat with brush and snow bucket which does a nicer job and no Maintenance. A truck mounted blade is the fastest and cheapest on a drive way its just won't remove packed snow like a brush. But it sure nice to blade 2 or 3 times the drive way width with a blade its ten times faster than any other method.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gravel and blower don’t work good together . Need to pack snow first . Pavement is best .
With a blower you want high flow and some hp. IMO
I prefer the blower as no big piles and it packs areas that the snow is blown onto so it doesn’t drift as bad .
I can peal hard packed snow off like nothing as has a good cutting edge if needed .
Can push snow if I decide as you don’t need to engage the auger until you want .
I have a blade as well but never use it . Only in the summer . It’s a dozer so need to be more careful as doesn’t trip if you hit something .
Pending application as always . Reason for different attachments.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes for the blade, I have a big area that I plow. The blade is by far the best. However once the snow begins to be to much I just put the bucket on to pile it higher

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a blower and blade for my skid steer. What most of the guys above said is correct. Blades are quicker, and if you can leave the windrow where it is, it’s the quickest and easiest way. If you want to get rid of the snow entirely, the blower is best. What I do is blade the snow into a windrow then blow the windrow away. Rocks can be a problem for both blades and blowers, but easily alleviated by raising the cutting edge with the skid shoes.

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My problem is the windrows, I have a long driveway on a fairly steep hill. Using an older tractor with bucket and a pull blade. The windrows narrow up fairly quickly and I lose a fair chunk of time pushing them back. I know the blower is slower than blading, but if I can avoid having to push back windrows all the time it may be worth it. Just was curious whether the blower works good to move snow or it plugs up all the time etc. I'm running out of places to pile snow this yr lol. Thanks for all the replies, all good info to know.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there anything stopping you from going wider at the beginning of the year? Does it get wind loaded or direct drop snow would a snow fence help or is it to deep? Random thoughts..

My problem is the windrows, I have a long driveway on a fairly steep hill. Using an older tractor with bucket and a pull blade. The windrows narrow up fairly quickly and I lose a fair chunk of time pushing them back. I know the blower is slower than blading, but if I can avoid having to push back windrows all the time it may be worth it. Just was curious whether the blower works good to move snow or it plugs up all the time etc. I'm running out of places to pile snow this yr lol. Thanks for all the replies, all good info to know.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Most newer blowers have a nylon or UHMW liner in the discharge so the snow doesn’t stick. You can also spray it with silicone spray or something similar. Heavy, wet snow won’t get thrown as far as lighter stuff but if you vary your forward speed based on type and depth of snow it shouldn’t plug up that often.

Travco28

Reaction score
I run a snow blower on a compact tractor and i wouldnt have it any other way . It takes a bit more time but works great . If gravel, just set the skid shoes a bit higher. I have a blade and a front end loader and love the snow blower .

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thought as well in some county's in Ab you can hire the grader for like $100/hr drop the wing and let er rip!
Some county’s have one or two times free! I’ve never asked cause I have a backhoe but I know others that got er done.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a very good snow blower and dont use it much half the time you cant see where you are going and in the cold window and wiper freeze up, but i can do my driveway faster with it. I regret buying it 9g I could have bought a 10' hydraulic snow pusher, blade and bucket.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like in your case a snow bucket would work best. A blade is quick but as the windrow builds over the winter you’ll have to pull the bucket out anyways to push it further. Snow blowers work great and toss snow far away from the area but they come at a price, roughly triple the cost of a snow bucket.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a very good snow blower and dont use it much half the time you cant see where you are going and in the cold window and wiper freeze up, but i can do my driveway faster with it. I regret buying it 9g I could have bought a 10' hydraulic snow pusher, blade and bucket.

Don’t blow into the wind . Lol

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there anything stopping you from going wider at the beginning of the year? Does it get wind loaded or direct drop snow would a snow fence help or is it to deep? Random thoughts..
Yep, driveway is only so wide and then it has drop offs or banks. Angled blade isn't long enough to keep it going over banks, and with width of driveway pushing them back with bucket is a bit of a pain due to tractor length. Skidsteer with blade wouldn't be to bad for that. But if blower leaves me with nonwindrows may be better

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Why don’t you rent a skid steer with a blower and blade for a snow clean up ?
Would give you a personal opinion on what works for you ?
Could always go with a blade first as they are cheaper and then keep your eyes open for a good used blower ?
I had small 4x4 tractor with blower before I went with loader and big blower .
I bought a new blower as wanted high flow and 96inch . The blade I wanted was more then the blower but it had hydraulic wings and such .
Like I said earlier , I have a blade as well but never use it for snow in my yard .
Last pic was today after clean up .

Top Bottom