Skid plates...what kind/where?

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to add skids to an 08 outlander. Off road in the mountians-rocks, mud, rough trail...
Aluminum or plastic? Can Am or other??
Sled has plastic but is it tough enough for a quad?
How much should I protect? Do I need to have the front, center and rear?
AArms? Are they worth it? I know on my sled they protect the AArms, but are constantly FULL of snow/ice and rip off on big snow days. Same thing with the quad?
I'm thinking the foot well protectors aren't required but what about the trailing arms?
Want protection without over protection or things that are gonna cause more grief than good.
Thanks for your help.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an Outlander 650, I put on the Ricochet package. Do the full package, kind of expensive but well worthwhile.

One of Can Ams big weaknesses is their protection, since I put on the Ricochet package I have had no problems, no CV boots, no other damage.

I hope I didnt just jinx myself :)

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Ricochet skids seem to bee the favorite. I never went with them as I hate how they cover up under the foot boards....where I ride that would be a permanent 10 lbs of mud stuck between there all the time. I run the Can Am center skid ,Moose front CV guards, and Alumatech rear inner and outer CV guards. Some guys that ride lots of rocks want the area under the footboards protected, but I am mostly concerned with the frame.

Hallsey

Reaction score
For a quick cheap full length skid get yourself a plastic 45 gal barrel and cut the center portion out. Lay it flat and trim it to fit and screw it to the bottom.Mine works great.

iamcanadian

Reaction score
I bought some from Aluminum Products, and I'm very happy with them. I beat them up all the time, and there's no bends yet... they look good too!

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put some stick stoppers on the front and back A - arm suspension on mine and the skid plate from my plow so far so good on the old 660 Grizz seem to be holding up pretty good .:cool:

jim-can

Reaction score
I got the full skids from riccochet/moose . they are awesome. Get the full package with foot protectors as it will stengthen up your entire frame. Cost about $500, BRP runs about 1000, and the middle plate coverage is not as good. However the a arm covers with brp have the name branded on the front and better drainage holes. Will still work with the rest of a riccochett set.

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a Perfex Maniax skidplate, $145 from Royal Distributing. It only covers the mid section of the atv though, not the a-arms or anything.

Been a great plate so far for me. It did break, but they have a lifetime warranty, no questions asked. I just had a piece that was bent wrong and it was mostly my fault about it breaking. Anyways, no charge for getting a new one shipped to me.

grnboyz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have Ricochet on my 09 Renegade, which I have used for a year now with little or no issues. I did break a CV boot loading it one day, which was totally my fault. They protect well, the only problem I have is they do build up alot of mud on your foot boards, but without them it would probably be the same, because the holes line up almost perfect. Ricochet protects well and has worked well for me!!:d:d

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For a quick cheap full length skid get yourself a plastic 45 gal barrel and cut the center portion out. Lay it flat and trim it to fit and screw it to the bottom.Mine works great.

you have any picks of doing this, sounds interesting and cheap if it would work. sounds like a guy would have some fun with the natural curve in the plastic. i'd guess a cardboard template would make life easier with fitting etc.

YKX

Reaction score
Monster Customs out of BC. They are on ebay at $300 with free shipping in Canada.... BUT, they are only available on ebay! Looking to get ahold of them another way.

YKX

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a guy on quads.ca making his own full set for can-ams, serious hardware and full coverage for a fair price. The factory ones for my Kodiaks are pretty decent and seriously cheap to replace every couple years when they do get too beat up.

Open Season

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A sheet of 1/4 inch puck board, $70. Make it cover whatever you want to protect. Slides over to mud and rocks better than aluminum.

Wise Mechanical

Reaction score
Wore out the plastic skid on the Kodiak and liked the idea of replacing with another plastic, bought the perfex skid plate and I am loosing faith quick. Another guy and myself, same quads, put these on and each of us have gone through 4 sets over this past year, they keep on cracking at the bolt holes at the back even after one ride. They get replaced no questions asked every time but its turning into a pain changing them every ride. Dont know if its just a problem with the specific model we are putting them on or its all of the plates?

Reaction score
Quadworx.com out of Wetaskawin. $400 plus shipping for Ricochetts, you wont find a better deal in Canada. Have bought a set for outy 800 and 650 from there.

crmxgirl

Reaction score
I would check out J & J industries on ebay. (Not to be the ebay shopping advocate, but DAMN there are some deals on there) You can pick up a full skid set with A-arms as cheap as $89. All the specs are provided about the grade and thickness, I'm going to order one for my wolverine from them. If not the ricochet set is also a lot cheaper on there.

Top Bottom