Ski-doo warranty check up

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that purchased a couple 2016 renegades last year. We were chatting the other day and he says the sleds need to go to the dealer when they hit a specific km or hour. I thought that was a nice gesture to go over the machine, but it comes with a $500 charge per sled.. He understood that he "had" to do this. One thing, he was adamant the dealer adjusts the oil pump among other things.
I'm not a Doo guy, so don't know anything special that needs to be done, but it don't sound right to me. A guy can check a lot of things in an hour, tightening bolts, belt, chain, etc. I thought the Doo computer took care of the break in time?
I'm just trying to save him $1000.
My buddy is just going by what the dealer is telling him. Is the dealer feeding him BS?

Can any of you doo riders shed some light here?

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was not told this by my dealer when I bought my sled in Feb '15. The only real thing they told me was to bring my sled back every year and they would change my plugs for free :) I can see how they are trying to up sell warranty checkup, but for that much I would thing it would involve a little more like, chain case oil/adjustment, track sag/alignment, drive belt check, grease,.. etc.

Sounds fishy to me.

Last edited:

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They do charge for check ups- $500 is steep. When I take mine in its usually about $2-300 depending on what needs to be done.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$500 seems steep for sure but as a consumer you do have the right to shop around if you don't like your dealers price? Make sure to check apples to apples though first. He may be doing twice the work as anyone else.

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A "mandatory" check up to keep your warranty intact?
Doesn't sound quite right to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kakwasledder

Reaction score
Ya they have 10 hour checkup you are supposed to take it in for. They just go over the machine and make sure everything is tight and good. But it is not mandatory and they can not deny warranty if you dont bring it in. I have bought seven skidoos since 2005 and havent taken any in for the 10 hour service and have never been denied warranty. I think my local dealership charges just over $200 for the checkup.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what they are doing for $500 but I believe in BUDS there is a way to add oil. You can obviously reset the break in, change timing, monitor voltage output, among about 50 other things so sure, maybe they are adding oil to reduce the chance there is a crank failure in the warranty period.

Just throwing out ideas as to if and why. But I would be asking for a detailed work order ahead of time.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what they are doing for $500 but I believe in BUDS there is a way to add oil. You can obviously reset the break in, change timing, monitor voltage output, among about 50 other things so sure, maybe they are adding oil to reduce the chance there is a crank failure in the warranty period.

Just throwing out ideas as to if and why. But I would be asking for a detailed work order ahead of time.
Danny is right. Some dealers do more. Some shops clean clutches, change chain oil, re torque head bolts and clutch bolt as well as a detailed list that BRP provides. And some dealers do the bare minimum. It pays to ask ahead of time before you drop off your sled.

driller

Reaction score
If your handy and can do all the checks as mentioned above
maintainance intervals are in your owners manual
change chain case oil in the first 300-500 klm
you should be good to go save your thousand dollars for oil, belts and gas
as Sno pro mentioned find out what the charge covers

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the info for what is supposed to be done at 10 hours Is listed in your owners manual

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the feedback, he was most worried if he didn't do this that it would void his warranty. (but it won't).
So update, stopped by dealer. They will go over everything that is listed in the owners manual for the 10 hour checkup. Nothing special that any DIY can do. And the price was now $250.

Top Bottom