Signal Lights Quit???

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
On my 2001 Exploder Sport Trac I took it in to the body shop to get rear end damage repaired which also meant they had to rewire the trailer wiring.

I picked it up on Monday but didn't drive it till Tuesday, at this time I realized I don't have signal lights, I took it back to the body shop, they checked all the fuses, then sent me back to Hitch House to have them inspect the wiring, they tell me its not their wiring. However, they then tell me that they undid all the wiring that I had done (I had wired directly to the lights on the back of the truck) and went back to the factory trailer towing package. They suggested I replace the flasher, so last night I went to Crappy Tire, bought a flasher, installed it, still no signal lights.

When my foot is on the brake and I turn on the signal lights, the bulb on the respective side goes out, this tells me that the signal must be travelling from the multi position switch (signal light switch) must be getting back there, however it doesn't flash. also my hazard lights work just fine.

While I was down in the box with the flasher I noticed that there is 4 relays in there, I swapped some of them around (they were the same part) to see if that would correct the issue, when I had the one out and the truck on with the signal light switch still engaged, I put the relay back in partially and I heard the flasher start to try to engage.

Any hints as to what this could be? I'm taking the truck back to the autobody shop this morning and they are sending it to the dealer, however they tell me that if its not "accident or repair" related that I'll be on the hook for the bill. Which is fine, however it all worked just fine before they got their greasy fingers on my vehicle.

TG

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Have you tried replacing 1 of the bulbs? maybe 1 filiment in each broke due to impact....just saying

Got a test light? try chasing it back to every plug find the dead spots.....if that doesn't work got a match and jerry can full of vitamin G :eek:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds to me like a ground problem tg they probably forgot to hook 1 up. remove your tailight housing and check to see if any loose wires hanging around in behind there. should be just a short wire coming out of the bulb socket with a ring terminal on the end that bolts to the body somewhere around the light recess. good luck.

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I took it back to the repair shop. They can fix it, its not done right so they have to finish it, with the relay getting that hot I believe there is a short somewhere in the system.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took it back to the repair shop. They can fix it, its not done right so they have to finish it, with the relay getting that hot I believe there is a short somewhere in the system.

i didn't read the relay hot part. i think you are right.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
If you need, i have the trailer plug test lite plug tool..... I suspect they never wired it properly...... Take it back to the body shop, as it will be related to what they did or modified...........

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
If you need, i have the trailer plug test lite plug tool..... I suspect they never wired it properly...... Take it back to the body shop, as it will be related to what they did or modified...........

that's where it is, the trailer light plug apparently worked when it left there, but hey who knows......

They are taking it in to Denny Andrews Ford and letting them fix it, sucks to be them that $100 an hour labour is going to hurt.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like they got some wires crossed / bad ground and maybe bulbs as previously mention. my only advice is to check it when u get it back to see what was done and make sure its not a quicky patch job that s gonna haunt u in the future... they should have a hoppy trailer connector that plugs into your original wiring harness that would solve all your problems for the trailer i think there about 40.00 !!!!!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Just talked to Denny Andrews Ford, they think that the trailer wiring place shorted out the Multi Function Switch (Signal Light Switch)

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
signal lights are highly overated, join the rest of alberta drivers and don't worry about it. blink twice for right turn, once for left turn, makes life more fun seeing the stupid looks on other drivers faces. man get with the program.

friggin signal lights:mad:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Denny Andrews Ford tells me it was a loose connection on the Multifunction switch.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
denny andrews ford tells me it was a loose connection on the multifunction switch.

possible the wiring was shorted by the hitch shop while redooin' the trailer wiring, and then it got to the connection up at the combi-switch and overheated the connection and then, voila, loose connection.........

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
possible the wiring was shorted by the hitch shop while redooin' the trailer wiring, and then it got to the connection up at the combi-switch and overheated the connection and then, voila, loose connection.........

thats the angle I'm going to play, and it just came from an interprovincial certified journeyman mechanic that doesn't show up to events!

Top Bottom