Side-by-sides vs. ATVs

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AB everything has its place and that isn't one of them . Lol

Hey! the original post for some IDEAS?? If you like to ride around in the bush and mud, fine, But I would like to do sone longer trips, Like Fort St James BC to Dease Lake, BC, along the old BC rail bed, some of it used, bridges built, but no tracks laid. A ride fron BC HWY 37 or HWY 16 to Kitsult, BC. And when they get the Firebag River fixed North of Fort Mc, to do a couple weeks trip into the Lagest most Northerly Sand Dunes in the World (Alberta/Sask). All the way to Lake Athabasca. And many more.
All this planning was done with all the Mapping Software that I have, (lots) and the help of Google Earth. So please do not suggest that this is not the place for my choice of ride.

Bruce.

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to RIDE, get an ATV. If you want to DRIVE get a golf cart...er...SxS.
Nailed it. Sledding is a blast, so is dirtbiking. Quadding is a bit more boring and a SxS is just a place to sit and steer, no body english needed.

Megrizzly

Reaction score
I have no problem with your ranger, but for traveling long distances in the bush, id be looking for an argo. I can't think of too many trails that are gravel.

Sxs don't require the work/movement an atv needs. But on the other hand, I think riding an atv is more enjoyable and fulfilling. I can't think of how many times I have hopped off my bike and pushed it through a spot. We are comparing a 700lbs machine to a 1500lbs machine. If your riding companions ride sxs, than a sxs is no big deal. But if your riding partners all have quads, then you might run into some problems. Namely, what happens if you bury a sxs in loon-**** 200' from the nearest suitable tree.

There are solutions to everything. For example, an atv can easily pull a cart for a long distance trip. I prefer the atv, but a sxs has its place.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with your ranger, but for traveling long distances in the bush, id be looking for an argo. I can't think of too many trails that are gravel.

Sxs don't require the work/movement an atv needs. But on the other hand, I think riding an atv is more enjoyable and fulfilling. I can't think of how many times I have hopped off my bike and pushed it through a spot. We are comparing a 700lbs machine to a 1500lbs machine. If your riding companions ride sxs, than a sxs is no big deal. But if your riding partners all have quads, then you might run into some problems. Namely, what happens if you bury a sxs in loon-**** 200' from the nearest suitable tree.

There are solutions to everything. For example, an atv can easily pull a cart for a long distance trip. I prefer the atv, but a sxs has its place.

we do not see many argos out in the bush on the quad trails that we use. there seems to be a 100 times more quads and sxs on the trails, argos have there place alright, just you don't see to many around here. i think i have seen maybe 2 and they were at a snow and mud event.

Last edited:

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nailed it. Sledding is a blast, so is dirtbiking. Quadding is a bit more boring and a SxS is just a place to sit and steer, no body english needed.

Just wait till you get OLDER. I am looking for the Power steering for my Ranger, maybe next year if I am still around. Some times you just have to STOP and smell the flowers. Most of the Vids from GO or other cameras show the bouncing of the front rack, going as fast as they can, but no pictures of the Great areas that the riders are passing through, except the bushes passing by, but boy are they having fun and they cant wait till they get home to post the pictures of how much mudd they got through, or my ride will be down because I broke a AXLE or two.

RIDE ON.

Bruce

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wait till you get OLDER. I am looking for the Power steering for my Ranger, maybe next year if I am still around. Some times you just have to STOP and smell the flowers. Most of the Vids from GO or other cameras show the bouncing of the front rack, going as fast as they can, but no pictures of the Great areas that the riders are passing through, except the bushes passing by, but boy are they having fun and they cant wait till they get home to post the pictures of how much mudd they got through, or my ride will be down because I broke a AXLE or two.

RIDE ON.

Bruce

Hey now if I'm on the quad I always take plenty of beer breaks to stop and smell the hops and look around.

talkinghamster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok guys i am an ex motocrosser so keep in mind i come from a DIRTBIKE background not an ATV background.

a little info about my machine : turbo kit, custom cage, doors, beadlock wheels, larger tires, quick release steering wheel, suspension seats, headache netting, blue tooth headset integration, powdercoating / graphics.

Pros :

Extremely fun, and fast. (often catch myself going 100+ KM/H through trails)

smooth like a dirtbike or sport quad over rough terrain, but much easier to go fast. dont have to worry about balance or buckling.

you feel much safer. power steering is awesome for eliminating bump steer.

can bring a passenger with you and they have tons of fun, many compare it to a roller coaster ride.

it is being fun passenger if you hop in someone else's / let them drive yours

you can chat with the passenger

storage, food / drinks all that

versatility, at the campsite they are great for grabbing supplies like wood

will keep up with skilled dirtbike riders or quaders if you are a good driver.

its just fun, nothing is better then going out with a large group of side by sides and playing.

its basically a miniature rally car you buy from a dealership.

CONS:

expensive. i have put alot of money into mine and will be lucky to get half or a third of it back when i sell it.

they break down more often and are more expensive to fix then there quad cousins or dirtbike relatives.

limited options. only real UTVS in the game are polaris, can am, and arctic cat.

you have to haul it in a trailer as opposed to the back of a truck (some UTVS models this doesnt apply)

SUMMARY

basically i love UTVS and would never consider buying a different offroad machine, i would HIGHLY recommend one to someone who is unsure if they want a UTV or an ATV

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm...an opinion, but then everyone has those....

1. We find it more stable in the rough terrain. well, it's bigger...stands to reason. What about the lower, no suspension SxS's? Are they as stable? Go ride a Rhino through the bumps some time... what about the arctic cat quads dave, maybe comparing apples to aplles is more fair comparison.
2. We ride all year. No different than quad

3. We have no issues on the trails. Hmmm...quads don't either

4. Enjoyable to have company while riding the trails. Depends...

5. Safer riding. Check out the stats on quad injurys VS SxS injurys you know stats dave, they are only as good as the info gathered

6. Less repairs then the quads. NOT A CHANCE...GIVE ME A BREAK...ATV components with double the weight=more repairs and maintenance.

7. Can take non off road people for a ride and get them interested in the sport.
I think that is important to promote the outdoor experience in a positive fashion. OK..I'll give ya this one.

8. Even in a sxs wear helmets for safety. common s

get out and ride quit the beotching.

Top Bottom