Side-by-sides vs. ATVs

SnoRiders

Reaction score
Website
www.snoriderswest.com
Hey guys. I'm doing some research for an article on side-by-sides. Can you tell what are the pros and cons of owning a side-by-side versus an ATV. Why did you decide to buy a side-by-side? What were some important selling features, etc. What do you mainly use your side-by-side for?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like side by sides better personally than quads cause its fun. Its like driving a mini jeep. You got tunes, company and beer holders.

dale+shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With a side by side, the wife or mistress can come along and pass a beverage from time to time. With a quad, you have to wait until they catch up to hand you the drinks.

Shovelking780

Reaction score
One advantage of a side x side would be riding position, I find their more comfortable and enjoyable with a passenger and without. As well as what lilduke mentioned about tunes and a place to carry other gear, beverages, food, chainsaw, spare gas etc. I also find them more stable and more entertaining to drive.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
#1- I feel way safer in a sxs. Doors, full seats, seatbelts, full roll cages.

#2- atving is way boring compared to snowmobiling so its great to have someone to talk too.

#3- tunes, cup holders, storage. Love being able to strap a ton of crap down.

#4- the ride. At the end of a day quadding I'm always sore and my butt hurts. No atv suspension can handle the bumps like a sxs with a longer wheel base an good shocks like the maverick and razr xp. For me atvs are not 3d motion like a snowmobile. They stay flat on te ground. So to have stability on off camber terrain it gives a guy more confidence. Not to mention uphills and downhills atvs always feel like they re going to come over backwards or go over forwards.

Overall sxsing is just a far more enjoyable experience. More relaxed, smoother and actually somewhat fun. Like mentioned above its like having a super jeep.

Last edited:

Stickyfingers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of it depends on where you are riding and who you are riding with. If I'm heading out with my skilled buddies through gnarly fast muddy rocky steep hill tight trails il take my quad or dirt bike in a second. However if I'm out camping with a bunch of leisure friends and the ladies its nice to enjoy the side by side atmosphere lil duke was referring to. they work great for Sawing and retrieving firewood. Can't stand the sound of the roll cage catching branches at high speeds through trails also side by sides require more maintenance and repair then my quad and if you get really stuck they can be difficult to winch out if no good trees or convoy of quads are present. Been getting a lot of use out of mine since I tore my ACL.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm doing some research for an article on side-by-sides. Can you tell what are the pros and cons of owning a side-by-side versus an ATV. Why did you decide to buy a side-by-side? What were some important selling features, etc. What do you mainly use your side-by-side for?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

I've had both ATV and now the SxS and its all about preferance and requirements. My wife wont ride an ATV and sucks at it unless your riding on good trails, plus the cost of owning 2 ATV is higher then one SxS, so for me the SXS was a better option.
I find riding ATV's VERY boring so having the SxS is nice in the respect of having a passenger to chat with. The #1 reason i own one of these is for fishing in remote mountian lakes of BC and wild life photography that wife and i love to do. Yes we hunt with a camera, way more skilled required and more satisfying.

So i don't see pro's and con's to owning either one other then preferance and requirement's. The SxS is more $$$ then one ATV but does a better job at carrying gear and passenger hahaha.....does that help.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said. UTV ( golf cart) other than the sport ones.
ATV two up works well . Second rider no problem and if no rider ? Lots of room to carry things.
If not have the fellow with golf cart carry it until terrain gets to tough . Lol
Everything has its place and different use.
IMO for $30000.00 rigged utv I would have a tricked out second hand jeep that could drive down the road and still hunt before noon.
Cheers

Lots of it depends on where you are riding and who you are riding with. If I'm heading out with my skilled buddies through gnarly fast muddy rocky steep hill tight trails il take my quad or dirt bike in a second. However if I'm out camping with a bunch of leisure friends and the ladies its nice to enjoy the side by side atmosphere lil duke was referring to. they work great for Sawing and retrieving firewood. Can't stand the sound of the roll cage catching branches at high speeds through trails also side by sides require more maintenance and repair then my quad and if you get really stuck they can be difficult to winch out if no good trees or convoy of quads are present. Been getting a lot of use out of mine since I tore my ACL.

SnoRiders

Reaction score
Website
www.snoriderswest.com
This is so helpful. Thanks very much. Keep the comments coming! The more input I get on this topic, the more accurate my story will be!

Personally, I've ridden quads my whole life so I don't have that much experience when it comes to the side by sides. They do appeal to me, especially since they have some cargo room for say, carrying dogs and gear for camping.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it has been my experience that XS are considerably more stable on rough trails, steep down hills and climbing up hills. can carry more gear for hunting, fishing and bush camping. also your riding experience changes from being a solitary lost in your own thoughts ride with other rider interaction at pit stops. to a more social ride with a passenger in the sxs.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought my first sxs 3 weeks ago. Have a quad as well. Main reason for buying the sxs is to get the wife interested as well as she had no confidence riding a quad on her own. The quad is more or less an individual sport just like sledding. With the sxs the family can get more involved now, as we are in one vehicle creating a more sociable atmosphere (bought a ranger and put a rear seat in).

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We started out with 2 quads. My wife and myself.
After a few years we went with 1 sxs and 1 quad.

Now we went with 1 sxs.

1. We find it more stable in the rough terrain.

2. We ride all year.

3. We have no issues on the trails.

4. Enjoyable to have company while riding the trails.

5. Safer riding.

6. Less repairs then the quads.

7. Can take non off road people for a ride and get them interested in the sport.
I think that is important to promote the outdoor experience in a positive fashion.

8. Even in a sxs wear helmets for safety.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let us see an ATV doo this for more room to carry every thing for a Day/Week trip. 2007 Polaris Ranger 6X6 with Exteded Flat Deck 1.jpg

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
We started out with 2 quads. My wife and myself.
After a few years we went with 1 sxs and 1 quad.

Now we went with 1 sxs.

1. We find it more stable in the rough terrain.

2. We ride all year.

3. We have no issues on the trails.

4. Enjoyable to have company while riding the trails.

5. Safer riding.

6. Less repairs then the quads.

7. Can take non off road people for a ride and get them interested in the sport.
I think that is important to promote the outdoor experience in a positive fashion.

8. Even in a sxs wear helmets for safety.
9. If your wife drives over you its easy for you to crawl in for a ride to hospital.
Fixed

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm...an opinion, but then everyone has those....

1. We find it more stable in the rough terrain. well, it's bigger...stands to reason. What about the lower, no suspension SxS's? Are they as stable? Go ride a Rhino through the bumps some time...

2. We ride all year. No different than quad

3. We have no issues on the trails. Hmmm...quads don't either

4. Enjoyable to have company while riding the trails. Depends...

5. Safer riding. Check out the stats on quad injurys VS SxS injurys

6. Less repairs then the quads. NOT A CHANCE...GIVE ME A BREAK...ATV components with double the weight=more repairs and maintenance.

I think that is important to promote the outdoor experience in a positive fashion. OK..I'll give ya this one.

8. Even in a sxs wear helmets for safety. common sense.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2007 POLARIS RANGER 6X6 AFRICA 2009.JPG There 2007 POLARIS RANGER 6X6 AFRICA 2009.JPG is a group of Polaris owners in South Africa that make one big trip a year, two of them have 6X6'S outfitted to self sustaine for the long trips. Do you think that they would rather ride a ARGO?

Last edited:
Top Bottom