Side by side input....

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Considering getting a side by side. I like BRPs sleds, but I think I'm leaning towards a Polaris. I would be using this on trails in the Whitecourt/Edson/Hinton area. Im thinking either a 800S or 900XP. For accessories, I think a roof, stereo, winch and hard doors would be desirable. I don't want a mud machine, so I don't need a lift or aggressive tires. I've got a few questions though.

What is the height at the highest point of these machines?
What are some common issues, or things to look for when checking out a used unit?
Pricing, is it worthwhile to head down to the states and bring one back?

Im thinking my timeline will be this winter or next spring. 2012-2014, low miles, whats a reasonable price range?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just my input on the 800S.....there is no fun factor in this machine its very gutless. good solid machine that will get you around but if you want a little fun coming out of those corners definitely look into the 900-1000 class. major power jump

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a 900 xp 2013 We have a roof and snorkeled it. Run zilla tires.

73 inches tall

I broke 1 axle. My fault in deep mud. Other service items are brakes, wheel brg, tie rod ends.

We have 3100 km and are very happy with it.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ours will be for sale this fall.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree stay away from the 800 and go for the 900.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO you can have just as much fun in a 570 than an 800 for less if top end doesn't matter. 800 is going the way of the dinosaur , get a 900 or even better a 1000

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On open trails the 900 or larger is going to be pretty entertaining. Any brand will do, What fits your purpose and riding style is up to you. 800's are good also kawaski teryx 4 seater, AC 700 trail cat will give the 900's a run for there money. So much brand bs on here, a recommendation is useless

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a 900 xp 2013 We have a roof and snorkeled it. Run zilla tires.

73 inches tall

I broke 1 axle. My fault in deep mud. Other service items are brakes, wheel brg, tie rod ends.

We have 3100 km and are very happy with it.

Thank you for the info. What would be a rough asking price for a machine like yours?

On open trails the 900 or larger is going to be pretty entertaining. Any brand will do, What fits your purpose and riding style is up to you. 800's are good also kawaski teryx 4 seater, AC 700 trail cat will give the 900's a run for there money. So much brand bs on here, a recommendation is useless

I don't want a 4 seater, that I do know. And I think I can filter through (most of) the BS on here lol!

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rear door on my sled trailer is 77" inside. Nice.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a '14 1000XP and couldn't be happier with it. 64" wide, 73" tall. Stock tires and no lift. My wife and I don't go looking for muskeg, we prefer a variety of riding conditions throughout each ride. The stock 29" Bighorn tires are a phenomenal all-around tire and we haven't needed a lift for any of the areas we ride from home in Hinton. Surprisingly, the width has not been an issue on the trails we ride. The power and suspension on this machine put a grin on my face every ride. Do what ever you can to test drive one and you will be hooked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at the pictures of the ad. Good front bumper and winch location. The factory winch location is low and the winch is in the mud. The rear rods,,you would need the arched lower ones. The factory straight ones will get bent on your first ride by rocks or even large ruts.

We have not had trouble with front end bushing, I grease each trip. We don't have doors so I have no idea how they are.

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 can am maverick and overall am very happy with it, goes like stink and the best interior in class in mine opinion and I looked at them all! One thing I looked for when buying a SXS is how much warranty they offer because if something does go wrong it can get expensive fast!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like brp sleds and wouldn't even think about buying a Polaris sled! But when it comes to sxs Polaris all the way! They got them figured out! I got a 900 ranger and love it! I would go for the 900 to. Not sure about the rzr's but the 900 ranger is way nicer machine then the 800's! The 800 motor is a rattly vibrating motor. The 900 is way smoother running.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at the pictures of the ad. Good front bumper and winch location. The factory winch location is low and the winch is in the mud. The rear rods,,you would need the arched lower ones. The factory straight ones will get bent on your first ride by rocks or even large ruts.

We have not had trouble with front end bushing, I grease each trip. We don't have doors so I have no idea how they are.

Are you looking at the 1000 XP ? If so, I, too, suspected bent lower radius rods on the first trip, but now, 500 miles later, I'm not worried as much.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your price range is 12 to 14 k i would look at the new Artic Cat trail. 900 performance in a 700 cc size. Great reviews and a nice sporty trail machine with a proven motor......

There are some nice new rzrs coming out, but the prices are creeping up on them.......As far as used i would look at a 900 rzr, reliable fast and tough to beat on the trails..........Great all around machine !!

Last edited:

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the new 2015 900 rzr. It is now 50" wide, and the prices are very reasonable for a new unit. Check it out.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you looking at the 1000 XP ? If so, I, too, suspected bent lower radius rods on the first trip, but now, 500 miles later, I'm not worried as much.

Am looking at the 2015 1000 Hi Lifter Edition

Top Bottom