sick scrambler

foxracing83

Reaction score
:rant: i have a 2003 scrambler 500ho it has a niose coming from inside the oil resivior, it sounds like a knock but also has a gurgle noise to it like the sound of half dry pump. the sound is very very faint util i pull the oil cap off then very loud.
any info would help diagnose this problem.
thank you.:beer::crying3::beer:

foxracing83

Reaction score
that dont help much at all, i have 2 of them and only had 1 problem in 2 years

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The lower hose on the back of the oil tank has a screen in it. If the screen gets plugged up the oil pump will cavitate. Remove the lower line and elbow to access the screen. This screen needs to be cleaned at every oil change.

At the top, back side of the tank is a vent line that routes to the air box. This line has a 1 inch slit in it about 6-8 inches from the oil tank. If the slit is sealed shut the oil pump may not self prime when the oil is changed.

100% of oil related engine failures I've seen in the 500 engine has been because the oil tank screen is plugged or the oil pump was not properly primed after an oil change.

foxracing83

Reaction score
thanks for the valuable info,i didnt know that. I am also going to set the valves on the both scramblers. are there any other inportant services i should do to the motor while i have it all apart.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Valve set is a good idea, however you must remove the front fenders and fuel tank.:eek: So, while the fenders are off change the spark plug and make any jetting changes you may need. Check carb boots for cracks while your at it.

Other than your owner's manual the best resource for the Polaris Generation III ATVs is Gen3USA.com - By the rider, for the rider..

Owning a Polaris has allowed me to gain a bit of knowledge on ATVs, however when I wanted to make a good living working on ATVs I sought out a Yamaha dealer where I did quite well.:d

Adrenaline junkey

Reaction score
The lower hose on the back of the oil tank has a screen in it. If the screen gets plugged up the oil pump will cavitate. Remove the lower line and elbow to access the screen. This screen needs to be cleaned at every oil change.

At the top, back side of the tank is a vent line that routes to the air box. This line has a 1 inch slit in it about 6-8 inches from the oil tank. If the slit is sealed shut the oil pump may not self prime when the oil is changed.

100% of oil related engine failures I've seen in the 500 engine has been because the oil tank screen is plugged or the oil pump was not properly primed after an oil change.

Thanks for the info :beer:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for another season of helping out Garryese. When it comes to Quads you know your stuff. Thanks again from Snow and Mud

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just had a question the other day and guess who came to the rescue,thanks for all your input Gary,Like Glen said,You know your stuff and are a asset to our site!
catmando!

Top Bottom