Sick and Tired of expensive crappy Satellite TV

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:mad: After paying 165/mnth for satellite TV from Shaw and HD channels I am about done in with the terrible crap that Shaw seems to be so happy to tout as the ultimate TV entertainment packages.
What are the options for rural TV north of Edmonton. Apparently Telus TV does not work for us...???
What happened to the old Direct TV. Decent stuff to watch.
Winter cannot come soon enough!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a chromecast and netflix. The chromecast was $30 and $8/month for netflix. I download the few shows that I'm addicted to that I can't get on netflix.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue with Bell. Just about done with watching the same chit I've seen a dozen times, with more commercials than actual programming. I spend more time on Netflix than my 200 plus channel satellite with fawk all on it. :rant:

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I have Telus Satelite.... Same Bullscat is every other provider. Pay $130/month for basically 5 decent channels that come with 195 Channels of chit TV. I used to be an FTA guy but I don't think that's working anymore?

c_nelson99

Reaction score
look on kijiji guys are selling android mx tv boxes with a program called xbmc player. Its similar to apple tv jail broken but better, it basically enables you to stream any tv show and movie available in hd. Its better than downloading but gets you the same content.

search "xbmc player" on youtube it'll show you how it works.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally 90% of my satellite TV watching is sports. But the last 3 years I've bought NBA League Pass online, and it is far better than watching basketball on the satellite. I think all sports can be watched over the internet for around $110-180 per year per sport.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Frig I hear you guys. Was paying around $100 just for Satellite from Shaw. Cancelled/put on seasonal break for the summer and had Netflix for $8.

Sometime went over in Internet data but whatever. (Only get 100gb max).

When the break was over, told them I was happy paying only 8 bucks instead of 100'ish. They dropped it about 30 bucks, but it's still crappy programming, full of ads etc.

Satellite is turning into old media awfully fast and will be irrelevant all together before we know it.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Satellite is turning into old media awfully fast and will be irrelevant all together before we know it.
nah....too many of us out in the sticks with no reliable hi speed internet. this is not what I want to spend hours looking at on my big ass TV

Netflix-loading.jpg

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
only 5 miles to the closest town. system we're on is a wireless tower to tower thing, it's not supposed to slow down at peak hours....but it does. unless you want to watch netflix at 4 am, forget it.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Netflix ...add media hint addon to firefox for american version with a lot more content

and/or

google project free tv with adblock plus addon installed with firefox

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys it does not matter which network in Canada you choose, they are all the same. That's because the CRTC force feed no talent Canadian content down our throats. Now the ignorant and arrogant bass-turds are trying force netflix into paying them and providing more Canadian content. Who do these clowns think they are?

c_nelson99

Reaction score
crtc is in the news over demanding netflix supply them user account info and prove their canadian content, actually saying they might shut it down in canada. Didn't realize we were in the soviet republic...wtf

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
look on kijiji guys are selling android mx tv boxes with a program called xbmc player. Its similar to apple tv jail broken but better, it basically enables you to stream any tv show and movie available in hd. Its better than downloading but gets you the same content.

Used this for the past year, along with free phone.ca (port existing numbers over) Monthly bills are now zero for both -except Internet

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I was happy before shaw bought out star choice. Since that happened I can't even keep a signal if raining or windy. Have been putting off the change but it's coming. I'm in the same spot as teeroy though. Internets not fast enough or reliable enough to support netflix.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

yup I've been running this for the past few weeks, blows Netflix out of the water

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I just found with shaw direct. The HD channels sucked I had the ultimate package and it wasn't worth it

Top Bottom