Sicamous Missing Sledders

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to here all is well,now whats the plan on getting the sleds out,Helcopter or alot of grunt work?not trying to get off track here but was wondering what it costs to get Heli"ed out?Always think about that when I drop into some of these places but have no idea so I was just wondering,some places we go theres not a hope in gettin towed out if something breaks.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to here all is well,now whats the plan on getting the sleds out,Helcopter or alot of grunt work?not trying to get off track here but was wondering what it costs to get Heli"ed out?Always think about that when I drop into some of these places but have no idea so I was just wondering,some places we go theres not a hope in gettin towed out if something breaks.

in Revy it can be as cheap as $450 to 700 because the heli pad is so close but up north in mcbride its $2000:(,

glad to hear a good story,,,,,
lets here some more details, are the sleds out? and how? I guess they were not able to keep taking runs at the hill to pack it down and get out?
thanks for the info its interesting to hear because I am sure this will happen to me as well one day lol....

beeonaplug

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.highcountrytrailrides.ca.

$1500. per hour is kind of the going rate. It's going to be a challenge to get those sleds out even by chopper. I'm not sure of the exact coordinates of the sleds but its about a 1800 ft. deep draw. For those familiar with the area it is the draw that divides Blue lake from Owls head. Maybe harder spring snow conditions could get them out. I think all three guys have a new respect for the mountains. They have been riding here for only a year.
Another interesting note of this rescue is how fast the news media was on the scene at the bottom of the hill in hopes of reporting another casualty story and instead it was a story with a happy ending. I'm surprised it even made the news. Oh, and I got to be on tv for 2 seconds with my Arctic Cat and skidoo in the background. I could become famous so I'll be signing autographs for a small fee. gas money. jk

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I bet they do,thats a lesson learned,never go down somthing that your not sure if you can get out or were it goes.Atleast they were prepared to spend a night.I carry all the necesity to be out there a night or two fairly comfortable just incase it does.That would be a good thread to start,what do you carry in the way of saftey,surival gear.thanks for the info on the heli lift.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I bet they do,thats a lesson learned,never go down somthing that your not sure if you can get out or were it goes.Atleast they were prepared to spend a night.I carry all the necesity to be out there a night or two fairly comfortable just incase it does.That would be a good thread to start,what do you carry in the way of saftey,surival gear.thanks for the info on the heli lift.

there is a thread somewhere with what everyone carries, with some humour included, some guys bring lots of stuff and they can ride with me anytime...

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Vultures...they are vultures. It is of course there job.

$1500. per hour is kind of the going rate. It's going to be a challenge to get those sleds out even by chopper. I'm not sure of the exact coordinates of the sleds but its about a 1800 ft. deep draw. For those familiar with the area it is the draw that divides Blue lake from Owls head. Maybe harder spring snow conditions could get them out. I think all three guys have a new respect for the mountains. They have been riding here for only a year.
Another interesting note of this rescue is how fast the news media was on the scene at the bottom of the hill in hopes of reporting another casualty story and instead it was a story with a happy ending. I'm surprised it even made the news. Oh, and I got to be on tv for 2 seconds with my Arctic Cat and skidoo in the background. I could become famous so I'll be signing autographs for a small fee. gas money. jk

I Dare Ya Rene!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.eaglevalleymarine.com
Beeonaplug, are the sleds in the valley east towards Mabel or west towards Cummings Lake? If you need some help give me a call, I have been in there a few times. I don't think a helicopter can get in there and it is $1500 an hour as we had 2 diamond drives fail and had to fly them out last week. 250-836-2860

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you get both out in a hour or is it a hour each?Where were you up Eagles?

peeps are out, sleds are still in there,, sounds like the heli cant get that low in the drainage area, usualy heli drop the sled at stagging area or closest open area to the trucks, in Revy one heli ride he just flew it back to the airport and we grabbed it there, its fun pusshing a dead sled up on a deck with 2 people let me tell ya....

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
peeps are out, sleds are still in there,, sounds like the heli cant get that low in the drainage area, usualy heli drop the sled at stagging area or closest open area to the trucks, in Revy one heli ride he just flew it back to the airport and we grabbed it there, its fun pusshing a dead sled up on a deck with 2 people let me tell ya....

When we got one helied out of corbin area, he droped the sled right on the deck of the truck.... no bull work at all.:beer::beer:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Beeonaplug, are the sleds in the valley east towards Mabel or west towards Cummings Lake? If you need some help give me a call, I have been in there a few times. I don't think a helicopter can get in there and it is $1500 an hour as we had 2 diamond drives fail and had to fly them out last week. 250-836-2860

That's a sweet offer, Rene....:beer::beer:

Here's to a great guy.....

cobbycat

Reaction score

drop me a pm if you need help, I have been in there a few times as well. could use another excuse to ride too!lol but seriously, I'm game for a sled rescue.

had my sled heli lifted out of Eagles last year.........$700 got my sled out and I even got a nice t-shirt!

beeonaplug

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.highcountrytrailrides.ca.
drop me a pm if you need help, I have been in there a few times as well. could use another excuse to ride too!lol but seriously, I'm game for a sled rescue.

had my sled heli lifted out of Eagles last year.........$700 got my sled out and I even got a nice t-shirt!

Thanks for the offer Cobby but I think they are getting them helied out today. It's going to be expensive. Hope they get t-shirts! That's the second heli lift out for one of the fellows this year. He could open a t-shirt store soon!
Hey I need a excuse to go sledding, pm me if your going.

gusto

Reaction score

Glad to hear everything worked out well for a change.. A tip for getting those sleds up a ramp is, hook a rope or tie downs to the front of sled deck and to front of sled one or two guys pull up on rope, put on brake, shorten rope, continue procedure till on deck.. Works well and amazingly easy...

charleywot

Reaction score
Hey I found u, thanks for the storie Im on s.a.m. now! I want to go sledding again next week end, No I didnt give up!

Top Bottom