Shovels go......?

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After doing the beacon poll, I was wondering where everyone carries their shovel and probe? I have a BCA Stash pack, with the hydration bladder, that has compartments where the shovel and probe are meant to be carried. I always have my avy gear on my back, in case I become seperated from my sled in an avy. The point of this being that if my sled becomes buried,as well as other riders, but I am lucky enough to get out, I still have all the tools I need to begin searching for my buddies. The other point I have heard is that if your sled ends up upside down in a treewell, and your shovel is under the hood....yep; your fugged.:eek: :eek: :D

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shovel, probe, cell phone, first aid kit and extra munchies always go in backpack. Might be hard to get out from upside down sled.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Yup, I Agree

Same goes for my backpack..... :) shovel, probe, 1st aid kit, blanket,emergency kit, flashlites........all in the backpack. The rest on my sled.........................

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I'm amazed how often my buddies head up for a high mark but before they take off they drop thier backpack (weight I guess) and then end up stuck vertical without a shovel...Hmmmm.
Always interesting watching them dig out!!!
Me, I always have my pack on with everything I need...just in case.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, Get a good backpack with a chest and waist strap and you hardly even notice it's there. I let (made) my buddy that hates packs wear mine for one short trip this year and he won't give the friggin' thing back!(although in all fairness he did give me an SOS beacon in trade).

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, Get a good backpack with a chest and waist strap and you hardly even notice it's there. I let (made) my buddy that hates packs wear mine for one short trip this year and he won't give the friggin' thing back!(although in all fairness he did give me an SOS beacon in trade).

No doubt. There is a huge difference between a backpack; and a backpack that is meant to be worn while jumping back and forth across the seat of a sled.;) :)

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shovel, probe and Sat phone in the ABS bag(shovel outside) with one set of gloves and some meds all wrapped in one flanel shirt for padding. That makes the 30L bag heavy enough. The rest goes in other bags on the sled.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Backpack is the way to go!I got a Voile,great backcountry backpack,holds everything!
catmando!

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry a probe, shovel and thermo blankets along with food and water. I think these are a must when it comes to riding in the mountains. I havn't carried a 1st aid kit but i should start its one of those, hope you never have to use it, but its nice to have when you need it!

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry pretty much everything short of my tow rope in my pack,one thing I've noticed is that no one mentioned carrying a flare.I carry the one that shoots 100 plus feet in the air.Anyone else carry one of these.

Bigdog67

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those who hate to where packs because they restrict too much I had the same problem. Wide shoulders and tite packs drove me nuts, I always ended up tieing it to the tunnel. Which also drove me nuts as I felt unsafe. The best pack for me is a MEC "mail bag" pack $35 holds probe,shovel handel,head,radio,saw,butain lighter, whistel,flash light,first aid pack,emerg bag, extra shirt & thin pants and enough fruit thins and granola bars to fill up the rest of the pack. All said and done I don't even know it's there. It might weigh 10-15 LBS everything else I carry is under the hood or in my tunnel pack which has at least 10 gaderade in it. I'm not about being all lite weight, Thats why GOD invented NOS.

Top Bottom