shovel mounting

IGBT

Reaction score
I just put on the Vortech rack on my 2011 M8. I love the rack but wanted to try and make a place for my shovel (the one not in my backpack). I did a quick and dirty with some scrap angle aluminum and some rubber grips meant for holding round objects.

I think it looks nice, but I am unsure of how likely it will be to get torn off. The rubber grips will probably just release the shovel in the event of a wipeout...

The positive is that it seems to hold the shovel really well and doesn't take up room on the rack. It is also very easy to release and attach (5 seconds).

What do you think? Go with it or just strap the shovel to the top of whatever bag I have on the rack?

Attachments

• rackfront.jpg
    rackfront.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 247
  • rackrear.jpg
    rackrear.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 254

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO, I see that getting ripped off pretty easily. If you can find a way to store the blade differently it looks good though.

ram_ltd

Reaction score
looks like a good mount but it seems like it would hook trees and branches, i like the idea though

IGBT

Reaction score
if your sled gets buried how are you going to dig out your buddy carry it on your backpack

This is my 2nd shovel...the one I use for when sled is just stuck. I would rather not take off my backpack *just in case* SHTF.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Read his post. He said he has another one in his pack.

I think your gonna get that right up the wazoo the first time you come off your sled when it's still moving!

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, I'd have that torn off pretty fast. There's gotta be a better way. Maybe put the orange blade part under the rails on your rack. That's gonna get wrecked for sure...IMO.

IGBT

Reaction score
Dang. I am tending to agree that it will get torn off....too bad because it is so easy and out of the way. The handle will mount there just fine without the blade, but the giant a** shovel blade is the annoying part, not the handle. Last season I just had it strapped to my tunnel, but it shifted around all the time. Some people seem to put it in the engine compartment but that seems like asking for trouble/damage.

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try and figure out a way to put it under or on top of the rack going with the tunnel, try putting what ever your going to have in the racks on then finding a way to mount the shovel on top some how looks good tho

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just put on the Vortech rack on my 2011 M8. I love the rack but wanted to try and make a place for my shovel (the one not in my backpack). I did a quick and dirty with some scrap angle aluminum and some rubber grips meant for holding round objects.

I think it looks nice, but I am unsure of how likely it will be to get torn off. The rubber grips will probably just release the shovel in the event of a wipeout...

The positive is that it seems to hold the shovel really well and doesn't take up room on the rack. It is also very easy to release and attach (5 seconds).

What do you think? Go with it or just strap the shovel to the top of whatever bag I have on the rack?

That thing will get ripped off as soon as the sled starts to wheelie in the climb.

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have the shovel upside down with the shovel party closest to the seat and the bottom edge under one of the rack bars and the handle facing the bumper with the strap somewhere in the middle holding it all in place. But definitely not the way you have it now. One carve and it's gone IMO. Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Just a quick thought; what about somehow attaching it to your tail flap? It is outside the box thinking but the thought came quickly and I haven't really thought it through yet.

If I had it mounted like in the picture, it wouldn't last any time at all…………us Kootenay boys like the tight trees….hahahaha

SUPERDUTY

Reaction score
Why not use belt clips mounted to the tunnel to hold the shovel

M8BRUINS

Reaction score
I like those mounts. They look good. Never heard of Cabelas. Where and who are they? I to carry two shovels. I would mtd it longways with the shovel facing backwards, myself. IMO that is!!!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it really needed to have 2 shovels? I understand kinda but seems overkill unless you are always breaking trail or touring.....

I rarely will take a shovel out like once every 5 rides I find boot packing and rolling an easier method and way quicker, just a thought to save you the grief of the second shovel,,, but I do carry 4 pairs of gloves haha

good luck

Top Bottom