Shortblock vs rebuilding

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At 9 thou runout.......what is my most likely scenario? Boom, or grind to a halt? Will I hear it coming? Is it likely any collateral damage will be done? Just wondering if I am safe riding it through the Christmas season, because I dont think I will be getting anything replaced before the weekend.

So it looks like my options are:

1. get parts and rebuild myself. 700 for a crank, 300 for a top end kit. But Im probably not experienced enough to do something like replace a crank.
2. Send engine to a builder like Trygstad and get rebuilt for 1350. But, likely going to be quite a delay. I like the idea of having a guy like him build it,and curious to try his pistons.
3. Get a shortblock from BRP. Quick and easy change out, but more expensive and using stock pistons (I like the dual ring) Any firm prices on how much these are?

Why the hell didnt I measure my runout this summer?????? uggghhhhh

These guys are scaring you. I've got 8000km on my 2010 I bet my runout is twice yours lol. I should check.........

It will most likely just seize a bearing and shut off

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These guys are scaring you. I've got 8000km on my 2010 I bet my runout is twice yours lol. I should check.........

It will most likely just seize a bearing and shut off

Ok thanks. I just got off the phone with Brent Linderman and he didnt seem too concerned. He figured run it through the Christmas season no problem.

He said definitely go with a shortblock. He said by the time you do everything like the water pump and everything it is way cheaper to go shortblock. Really nice to see engine builders with that kind of honesty and integrity. So Im gonna just keep riding her and throw a shortblock in it eventually.

Thanks for all your feedback.:beer:

jackinthebox

Reaction score
And or it will let a few bearings fly into your head cause a little havok.Might squeek you for a little bit ,but with a little muscle you'll be able to get it pulled over and ride around for another 30-50 k and back to the truck,but it wont wanna stay idling or go into reverse,AT least this is what mine had done to me.Tear down revealed center crank bearing pooched,crank had hairline crack thru it.short block installed ,yr warranty,finished and installed in 2-3 days,back riding,BUT..$3300...Minus core of $500.
I have hard time wrapping my head around trygstad rebuilding for that cheap...seems really cheap to me...like theres no labor charge cheap.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And or it will let a few bearings fly into your head cause a little havok.Might squeek you for a little bit ,but with a little muscle you'll be able to get it pulled over and ride around for another 30-50 k and back to the truck,but it wont wanna stay idling or go into reverse,AT least this is what mine had done to me.Tear down revealed center crank bearing pooched,crank had hairline crack thru it.short block installed ,yr warranty,finished and installed in 2-3 days,back riding,BUT..$3300...Minus core of $500.
I have hard time wrapping my head around trygstad rebuilding for that cheap...seems really cheap to me...like theres no labor charge cheap.
I buy alot from dave his stuff rocks I put a couple of piston in my 08 Ren SDI 600 and a buddies 800 Ho and we both gained 300 rpm I will be doing my wifes 09 800 soon.He gets good deals from BRP so he passes on the deal.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I buy alot from dave his stuff rocks I put a couple of piston in my 08 Ren SDI 600 and a buddies 800 Ho and we both gained 300 rpm I will be doing my wifes 09 800 soon.He gets good deals from BRP so he passes on the deal.

Yeah I have talked to Dave about his 872 and he seems like an awesome guy. I left him a message this morning. I see on his website that he has shortblocks, rebuilds, or what ever you need so Ill see what he has to say. Probably going to be the cheapest way to go and Ive heard nothing but good things about him. The 872 is tempting, but Im just not sure about any big bore.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 09 measures .014 total run out.

I let my girlfriend ride it. She has very few long wot pulls.

At .009, its over spec, you can run it, just dont be surprised if it does give up.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have talked to Dave about his 872 and he seems like an awesome guy. I left him a message this morning. I see on his website that he has shortblocks, rebuilds, or what ever you need so Ill see what he has to say. Probably going to be the cheapest way to go and Ive heard nothing but good things about him. The 872 is tempting, but Im just not sure about any big bore.
I have a buddy that had a turbo'd 09 800xp that granaded he needed a complete motor Dave sold him everything and made it a 872 for just over 4g's.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 09 measures .014 total run out.

I let my girlfriend ride it. She has very few long wot pulls.

At .009, its over spec, you can run it, just dont be surprised if it does give up.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

Thats funny, because that was actually my original plan. Get a new sled and keep this one for the wife and as a backup. It would probably last forever doing that, probably wont make the season the way I ride it. But........................baby on the way in less than 2 weeks now. New sled is probably not the best plan.

Top Bottom