Shopping for a Jet boat

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what can you guys tell me about Thunder jet, I like the Bulldog but would sure like some real world info, anyone ever see a 176 Ecojet V- perform?

Thanks

Last edited:

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My ownership of a bulldog is limited to this year but so far we love it. The AT203 pump with the 360hp 6.2 L Kodiac pushes it along to good and we need to install trim tabs or I've heard the nozzle can be shimmed but still researching that. It porpoises bad with a light load going past 40mph. Other then that I can't be much more help.

If you where buying in the Edmonton area I would ask you to pm me to discuss my dealings with the dealer I purchased from.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what can you guys tell me about Thunder jet, I like the Bulldog but would sure like some real world info, anyone ever see a 176 Ecojet V- perform?

Thanks

Thunderjets have thin bottoms, I know a guy that used to sell them and their biggest issue was getting them to stand up to shallow water. Myself I would look at an Outlaw, Firefish, or Risley boat.

But obviously it depends on what you intend to use it for.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thunderjets have thin bottoms, I know a guy that used to sell them and their biggest issue was getting them to stand up to shallow water. Myself I would look at an Outlaw, Firefish, or Risley boat.

I am going to go see Ali-craft as well, the boat will be for play and some hunting, I don't plan on going up the Tuchodi in low water or anything, I got a price on a Thunder Jet Bulldog, 82,000 bucks, for that coin I will get a boat built and not buy a cookie cutter boat

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going to go see Ali-craft as well, the boat will be for play and some hunting, I don't plan on going up the Tuchodi in low water or anything, I got a price on a Thunder Jet Bulldog, 82,000 bucks, for that coin I will get a boat built and not buy a cookie cutter boat

$82g's buys a nice custom boat, personally I wouldn't go thinner than a 3/8" bottom though as it adds a little insurance. I'm a big fan of custom boats over the off the shelf models, for a similar amount of money you get exactly what you want. Most people just buy an off the shelf model because they don't want to wait for a custom one.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Bulldog has a 3/8's bottom, it's their toughest boat. I agree that custom is the way to go though.

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sorry ABMax24 I have to question the thin bottom remark, the bulldog is marketed as a "skinny water" boat specializing the rugged use which explains the name "bulldog". Add "the UHMW bottom, strongest hull ever with a .375 thickness". Also another thing to consider is the UHMW bottom adds weight but thunderjet has the patent on the better installation method. I spent the entire winter reading forums sifting through thunderjet threads, negative comments where very rare, with the UHMW bottom extra weight being the most consistent.

Perfect world of course a custom boat would be best, but who can wait over a year when you don't have a boat in the first place to use waiting for the perfect boat.

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry ABMax24 I have to question the thin bottom remark, the bulldog is marketed as a "skinny water" boat specializing the rugged use which explains the name "bulldog". Add "the UHMW bottom, strongest hull ever with a .375 thickness". Also another thing to consider is the UHMW bottom adds weight but thunderjet has the patent on the better installation method. I spent the entire winter reading forums sifting through thunderjet threads, negative comments where very rare, with the UHMW bottom extra weight being the most consistent.

Perfect world of course a custom boat would be best, but who can wait over a year when you don't have a boat in the first place to use waiting for the perfect boat.

By Thunderjet I was referring to the 176 Ecojet model that was quoted above, I should have been more specific, Yes the Bulldog has a 3/8" bottom but it is the only model they sell that does and is overpriced at that, and is a newer model, before that the thickest they made was 1/4". Some of the custom boats now run 3/8" wings and a 1/2" delta pad for even more strength, they wouldn't add all that extra weight and cost to them if it wasn't needed.

On top of all that I would rather buy a custom boat from a local builder than a mass produced boat from the US.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the input guys, I am leaning towards a custom boat, I can wait to get what I want....I found another builder in Prince George Exact Welding...anybody hear of these guys before ?

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the input guys, I am leaning towards a custom boat, I can wait to get what I want....I found another builder in Prince George Exact Welding...anybody hear of these guys before ?

Lucky you, I had the patience level of a 5 yr old at Disney once the choice was made to get into jet boating. I've been waiting 14 years. Good luck.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddies brother-in-law welds for exact. The owner Claude is a guru. Check out Omineca in PG as well.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy something used cheaper to learn on and smash up a bit without feeling too bad about it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what fun is that ?

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rockbottom industries is in fort St. John, he builds boats that are tough, closely design after shuuman, which was the original skinny water design that everyone copies. Alfred 250 261 9845.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rockbottom industries is in fort St. John, he builds boats that are tough, closely design after shuuman, which was the original skinny water design that everyone copies. Alfred 250 261 9845.

I live in FSJ and have never heard of Rockbottom, is he the guy that ended up with shuumans boat jigs?

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I live in FSJ and have never heard of Rockbottom, is he the guy that ended up with shuumans boat jigs?
He built his own with shuumans help. Located behind wayloes shop by Gregg's distributors. He should be back from the techodies in his boat in a couple days. The bow is the big thing in the design , the bottom and bow all together right to the top front deck, makes it a strong as can be. Andy at northern snubbing bout the last one if you know him. 16 foot extreme hull with high sides. He does bare hulls around a grand a foot.

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in the same boat (no pun interned). Living in peace river, and lately touring the race circuit through Canada and the US, I've had the fortunate experience of seeing many types of boats and water.

THERE IS NO PERFECT BOAT.

When I was shopping, I used to disagree with that but now I know it's the truth.

We have a cabin on an island on the peace. My boat started life as an Eagle Alberta Special. I bought used on a whim because the deal was awesome. It turned out to be perfect for my use.

The first thing you should do in my opinion is decide what your intended use will likely be.

For what my uses are, my boat turned out to be excellent. Lots of my buddies have 19-23 foot sports with huge (500-900 plus) power. That's great for their uses.

Where do you livve and what kind of water is near?

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in the same boat (no pun interned). Living in peace river, and lately touring the race circuit through Canada and the US, I've had the fortunate experience of seeing many types of boats and water.

THERE IS NO PERFECT BOAT.

When I was shopping, I used to disagree with that but now I know it's the truth.

We have a cabin on an island on the peace. My boat started life as an Eagle Alberta Special. I bought used on a whim because the deal was awesome. It turned out to be perfect for my use.

The first thing you should do in my opinion is decide what your intended use will likely be.

For what my uses are, my boat turned out to be excellent. Lots of my buddies have 19-23 foot sports with huge (500-900 plus) power. That's great for their uses.

Where do you livve and what kind of water is near?

FSJ, the Peace River, Pine River, and Halfway river are all about 30 mins away, so that is where the boat will be used the most with some lake duty also....I do hunt so I want a boat that can carry a load, and isn't crazy fancy....I don't plan on doing lots of shallow rock crushing with it so I am thinking about a 10 degree hull with teflon 18-19 ft long, with a Hamilton and a V-8, I am not a sport jet fan, parts are hard to get, and I want a heater for my wife so a closed cooling system works for me. Any insight for me

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have this custom weld storm for sale its a sweet boat. It has an extra 1/4 inch 6061 pad welded to the bottom plus 1/2 UHMW from high caliber. New 6.2 LS3 Kodak engine with a AT 312 this combo work well wit this boat. Its a nice loaded boat with just about everything you wife will need lol. 52000.00

Attachments

• 20130511_152340.jpg
    20130511_152340.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 341

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brother picked up his boat last month. I haven't had the chance to ride in myself, but he hasn't complained about anything yet !

Attachments

• IMG_1614.jpg
    IMG_1614.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_1615.jpg
    IMG_1615.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_1617.jpg
    IMG_1617.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_1618.jpg
    IMG_1618.jpg